Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Just got a new machine.... help!
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Just got a new...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
beninfl

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso Precisio
Posted Fri May 10, 2013, 7:01pm
Subject: Just got a new machine.... help!

Fellow Espresso nuts,

I just got a new machine - Gaggia Classic after my old machine (DeLonghi EC155 - modded for naked portafilter) stopped working.  I used to pull great shots from the DeLonghi.

Coffee: About 15g of home roast

I was expecting a harmonious upgrade, but I just went through about 8 shots with the Gaggia and here's what happened:

1st (grinder set to same size as - shot pulled WAY too fast, adjusted grind size down, a little ( new setting = 9)
2nd - shot pulled WAY too fast, adjusted grind size down, a little more (8)
3rd - shot pulled WAY too fast, adjusted grind size WAY down (5)
4th - shot pulled WAY too fast, adjusted grind size WAY down (2)
5th - shot didn't pull (was going too slow), adjusted up (5)
6th - shot didn't pull (was going too slow), adjusted up (8)
7th - shot didn't pull (was going too slow), adjusted up (9)
8th - shot pulled WAY too fast, ran out of coffee

Each tamp was about 25-40lbs (am pretty familiar with what this feels like)

Help!!!

Thanks!
 View Profile Link to this post
Iluvdabean
Iluvdabean
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra/Gaggia...
Grinder: Baratza Preciso/K-A Pro...
Drip: Bonavita BV 1800 TH
Roaster: Nesco 1010/Behmor 1600
Posted Fri May 10, 2013, 7:19pm
Subject: Re: Just got a new machine.... help!

Gaggia Classic is a great little machine..I used one for 5 years everyday. I gave it to my daughter and son in law when I moved up. The Precisio has three internal settings and can be changed . I had to change mine. There are directions to follow and
with a little mechanical ability you can change it. I found mine set on coarse and moved it to fine. Once thats done ( If needed ) you just keep adjusting the grind while tamping to 30 LBS until you get to 30 seconds for a double basket.
Dont use a basket with a pressurized filter. I heard some newer Classics came with a Pressurized portafilter basket. Ive taken a few things apart in my life so remember a few things, dont use so much force as to break things.When taking something apart
look at what your doing and remember how it goes back together. I did mine in about 45 minutes and was taking my time.

The Gaggia Classic is a real espresso machine so you will need fresh beans....period. Lets assume you choked the machine as you said. If the Coffee is fresh then what you would do is increase the grind size upward incrementally
until you reach the place where you are at 25 to 30 seconds. I reread you post closely and saw you choked the machine. So it could be your Precisio is adjusted adequately to create a proper pull.

Click Here (www.baratza.com)

beninfl Said:

Fellow Espresso nuts,

I just got a new machine - Gaggia Classic after my old machine (DeLonghi EC155 - modded for naked portafilter) stopped working.  I used to pull great shots from the DeLonghi.

Coffee: About 15g of home roast

I was expecting a harmonious upgrade, but I just went through about 8 shots with the Gaggia and here's what happened:

1st (grinder set to same size as - shot pulled WAY too fast, adjusted grind size down, a little ( new setting = 9)
2nd - shot pulled WAY too fast, adjusted grind size down, a little more (8)
3rd - shot pulled WAY too fast, adjusted grind size WAY down (5)
4th - shot pulled WAY too fast, adjusted grind size WAY down (2)
5th - shot didn't pull (was going too slow), adjusted up (5)
6th - shot didn't pull (was going too slow), adjusted up (8)
7th - shot didn't pull (was going too slow), adjusted up (9)
8th - shot pulled WAY too fast, ran out of coffee

Each tamp was about 25-40lbs (am pretty familiar with what this feels like)

Help!!!

Thanks!

Posted May 10, 2013 link

View Profile Contact via ICQ Link to this post
D4F

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Fri May 10, 2013, 9:14pm

Hi, welcome to CG.

I would like to clarify a bit.  Baratza makes a Virtuoso with coarse steps only and the Preciso with coarse and fine.  I realize that the Preciso was/is referred to the Virtuoso Preciso but just want to clarify that you have micro adjustment as you did not mention that in your settings.

Also, if I read correctly you had way to fast pull 1 setting 9 and then too slow pull 7 setting 9??  

I received 3 baskets with my Classic, a single and double pressurized and a double non-pressurized.  I do not want to assume, so ask, the non-pressurized basket?

I also use the Gaggia Classic and Preciso as do several others here, so happy to help.  These clarifications could help with recommendations about grinder setting as noted, or perhaps technique.

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
D4F

Posted Fri May 10, 2013, 9:19pm

You may be interested in these current threads with Gaggia Classic and Preciso.

"Noooooob Needs Some Pointers"?LastView=1368212092&Page=1

"Re: Before I open this Preciso"?LastView=1368207049&Page=1

D4F also at
beninfl

Posted Fri May 10, 2013, 9:20pm

Just to clarify - I am using the un-pressurized basket.

I only did Macro settings as I never really got close enough to worry about the micro settings.  Where do you set yours?
D4F

Posted Fri May 10, 2013, 9:24pm

Numbers do not matter as the calibration screw may be in different windows.  In addition, I have adjusted the OPV down to about 9 bar with flow about 10 bar static, referenced in the prior post.  I am not thinking grinder issue with your description if you flow too fast and too slow on the same setting.

Channeling?

D4F also at
D4F

Posted Fri May 10, 2013, 9:27pm

Also, I forgot to ask, 58 mm tamper or the plastic included?

I should have added that I also used a Delonghi (EC701) for years before.  Classic will definitely be more capable.

D4F also at
beninfl

Posted Fri May 10, 2013, 9:37pm

58mm tamper - no obvious channeling, but I wasn't paying very close attention because the settings were way off.

Is the OPV mod a requirement?  I just assumed that the pressure should be regulated based on the grind/tamp?
D4F

Posted Fri May 10, 2013, 10:15pm

Look at the other threads mentioned, you will see both points of view on pressure. I believe the thought is that the pressure is set by the factory to accommodate pressurized PF and if using non-pressurized most will lower the pressure via OPV.  No extra points for brewing at high pressure though many feel that you learn best by using as it is set.  I would set the pressure and replace the steam wand as soon as you are comfortable doing so and understand what you are doing.  It simply makes the machine better/easier and more accommodating of dose.  If only made with non-pressurized PF, perhaps it would come with lower pressure as brands apparently do.  Usually better machines w/o pressurized options.

The reason to leave pressure high is to try get you to be consistent with grind, dose, tamp and technique. I think that you can do that just fine with a more forgiving machine.

D4F also at
beninfl

Posted Mon May 13, 2013, 8:45am

So, after about 1/2lb of coffee I seem to have dialed it in (more or less), and getting tons of crema.  It seems that the major issue was that the portafilter was much wider than on the Delonghi, thus requiring a much finer grain to get similar results.

Crema was a little lighter than I'd like - any tips on this?

Still waiting on my bottomless portafilter to see how well I'm doing on the pucks.

Thanks!
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Just got a new...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.509684085846)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+