Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Mypressi & Better Coffee journey
Green Unroasted Coffee
Free shipping. Save 15% on variety pack, use 'variety' at checkout
www.madbeanscoffee

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Mypressi &...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
clm

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Mypressi
Grinder: OE LIdo
Drip: Hario, Aeropress
Posted Thu May 9, 2013, 7:42am
Subject: Mypressi & Better Coffee journey

My search for a better cup of coffee is working thus far.  I purchased an OE Lido grinder, Hario ceramic V60 1 (small) and a Takahiro kettle.  Morning coffee is not only much better, but I enjoy the process of making it by hand.  I bought a Mypressi after reading forum discussions about the quality of the espresso.  I thought this would be a good way to test out espresso and see how often I'll make it vs pour over without a huge investment.  I've never made espresso, so this is a learning curve, but my concern is that the Mypressi water bowl is made of aluminum.  The strainer baskets are SS, but I still try to avoid aluminum.  
I got some RedBird beans - don't have a scale and not sure how long you're supposed to hold the trigger when pulling a shot.  The directions just say to try to have an even hand.  Tips on using the Mypressi (and comments on the aluminum base) are greatly appreciated.
Aloha, clm.
 View Profile Link to this post
DCcoffeeman
DCcoffeeman
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Bialetti stovetop
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso, Zassenhaus
Vac Pot: French press
Drip: Clever Dripper, Melitta
Roaster: Hottop
Posted Thu May 9, 2013, 8:12am
Subject: Re: Mypressi & Better Coffee journey

I have had a My Pressi Twist for maybe 3 years and it makes great espresso.  You can't beat it for the price.  I hold the trigger when pulling a shot until the steady drip stops, foam starts coming out  and the Twist starts hissing.  The instructions recommend (I think) 16g of ground coffee for a double shot.  You definitely want to buy a good scale to weigh your coffee. On the aluminum issue, I'm certainly not an expert, but the current weight of scientific evidence is that aluminum in cooking utensils, etc. does not cause Alzheimer's disease, etc.
clm

Posted Thu May 9, 2013, 10:07pm

Thanks DCcoffeeman.  I thought I was using up the cartridge by holding the trigger longer than necessary - I've only tried it twice.  This last time, I don't think I had enough pressure on the tamper because the grind was the same, but the shot pulled way too fast.  I'm doing a naked shot (w/o the little 2 shot bottom).  Do you use a scale to tell how hard to press on the tamper?  The instructions say to use a bathroom scale and 30 lbs of pressure.  Thanks for the aluminum feedback too, although I'd pay extra for 100% SS.  Any scale recommendations (just for the coffee)?
DCcoffeeman
DCcoffeeman
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Bialetti stovetop
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso, Zassenhaus
Vac Pot: French press
Drip: Clever Dripper, Melitta
Roaster: Hottop
Posted Fri May 10, 2013, 9:31am

Glad my suggestions helped.  I wouldn't worry that much about tamp pressure.  Just give it a good firm tamp.  Much more important is the fineness of the grind.  If the shot pulls too fast, keep trying a finer grind until you get the shot you want.  I have an Oxo scale, which is accurate and only costs about $40.  Good luck.
clm

Posted Wed Aug 14, 2013, 10:14am

Hey my mypressi stopped working today.  Is it possible to use too fine a grind for it?  I did a very fine grind of new beans and it just wouldn't pull a shot - I tried replacing the cartridge, but the same thing happened.  Water just sat in the bowl - because my grind was so fine, there was a large "air" gap between the bowl and the coffee in the portafilter - would that have caused it?  When I took it apart, it was still under a little pressure, so the gasket on the bowl popped off, but I just put it back together.  I did email mypressi for help, but wondering if you (or anyone else) may have experienced this issue.  Such a drag.  I'm looking for a lever machine too - would welcome any suggestions on how to get a decent used one.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Mypressi &...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.356739997864)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+