Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Need help! (Buying advice, please!)
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Need help!...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 6 of 7 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
strawberrykoi
strawberrykoi
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto 3,...
Grinder: baratza vario, Hario...
Drip: chemex
Roaster: whirly pop
Posted Thu May 23, 2013, 9:28am
Subject: Re: Need help! (Buying advice, please!)

Stephany Said:

Sigh. So, here's my latest dilemma.
    I was set to go for the livietta t2. Psyched that it could brew and froth simul. Fund an open box at a price I can live with. Is totally cute and bet yet really small footprint and quick heat up time. But of course, I'm checking review after review for this, and some are saying its basically a cheapo krups or capresso with a pretty face and a much higher price tag. Of
Post of this is rushing the thermoblock. So please, give it to me strait, coffee geeks, is this a sucky marine, or what? I can take it.
Click Here (www.home-barista.com)

Posted May 19, 2013 link

Let's see, you want high quality AND a great price. Are those two elements ever truly accosiated with oneanother? You will undoubtably spend more than you originally intended, or settle for less quality and be left unsatisfied. Those is your only options.

Why not just get a high quality grinder now, with a cheap coffee maker like a moka pot or aeropress? Then save for a little while until you can afford/justify getting a decent machine like one of the ones suggested to you here.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
CoffeeRon

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Wega Lyra, Europiccola(still...
Grinder: Macap M7D, Pharos, Vario W,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam CoffeeMaster
Drip: Melita BCM-4
Roaster: FR SR500,B-1600, SC/TO
Posted Mon May 27, 2013, 5:20pm

Pretty sure she said she already ordered the Preciso. I've been wondering how she's liking it. I'm pretty sure it will suit her needs fine for a while unless/until she gets the serious upgraditis bug. Also wondering if she'll be back around, hope we didn't scare her off :(
 View Profile Link to this post
Stephany

Posted Wed May 29, 2013, 10:09am

No, I'm still here, thanks for your concern. : ) I'm back to lurking status...I think most of what can be said has been, and I don't want to bother all you nice people anymore with my vacillations.

Yes, I have the preciso and haven't had a chance to try it yet (going thru my ground coffee first, cuz I won't want to go back. Depression-era parents told me never to waste!)

But, if you are interested in my epic journey into buying a machine, here is where I am now and I'm happy to entertain further advice:

When last we saw our hero, she had decided against temperature-swinging machines that would make her espresso no better than muddy water, since she has not yet tested her barista skills in battle. Armed with this knowledge, she eyeballed the cc1, but it hurt her eyes. So, a few hundred dollars more and she could have the livietta, a cutie machine, or the quick mill silvano, held in high esteem by the coffee gods.
    Dubious reviews and reactions to a double thermoblock made our hero bypass the livietta (although she had fallen in love with its small footprint and quick heat up time), and look more seriously at the silvano. But, $995! Ouch! At that price point, her comrades were urging a heat exchanger, not that she would ever know the difference.
    And then she saw a cuadra, the darling of the message boards, on sale for $895. She had looked at the cuadra II before, a pretty machine, but over her drop-dead limit of $1k. She had also seen a cheaper cuadra, but with unsightly garish (to her sensitive eyes) blue plastic panels. However, this was neither of those cuadras. This cuadra had tame, white panels, still plastic (meh). This cuadra was cheaper than the Silvano, but boasted a larger footprint...perhaps too large for our hero and her coveted counter space? O, what should she do?

; )
MerleApAmber

Espresso: Breville BES920xl
Grinder: Baratza Preciso + Esatto
Vac Pot: Yuma
Drip: Pour over: Melita Ceramic
Roaster: Hot Top 2K P
Posted Wed May 29, 2013, 10:58am

:shock:
:big smile:
</and a wink.
CoffeeRon

Posted Wed May 29, 2013, 3:22pm

Good to hear from you Stephany :) Your patience is a virtue. Many people jump into something a bit too quick and all too soon want something more or different. The Silvano is made by company with a great reputation for quality, and has a built in PID so you'd have the temp control you need. I guess you've seen how common it is for people to add PID's to their SBDUs. The difference with an HX machine is mostly the no waiting between brew and steam, and better steaming, (and of course WAY better temp control than an SBDU without PID) although I just watched the video on Chris' coffee service for the Silvano and I'm pretty dang impressed. Looks like no waiting between brew and steam if I'm seeing it right, and pretty good steam too.
Anyways it will be interesting to see how this story plays out- Does she run across the HX of her dreams from someone who won the lotto and is buying a Speedster? Does she go for the Silvano? Only time will tell......
         Enjoy the journey,
                          Ron
JPF

Espresso: Mini Vivaldi, Pre-millenium...
Grinder: Dosered SJ, Resurrected...
Vac Pot: Yama Siphon
Drip: Technivorm
Roaster: Behmor, Poppery I
Posted Wed May 29, 2013, 4:22pm

It's out of your price range, but the highest quality machine coupled with the smallest footprint is probably the Bezzera BZ07spm at $1,199.  It's only 9.5"wide.

edit: Here's a good video of the Bezzera coupled with a Baratza Vario.

Living the caffeinated life.
cuznvin

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: MACAP M4 Stepless /Baratza...
Drip: YouBrew
Posted Wed May 29, 2013, 5:07pm

JPF Said:

It's out of your price range, but the highest quality machine coupled with the smallest footprint is probably the Bezzera BZ07spm at $1,199.  It's only 9.5"wide.

edit: Here's a good video of the Bezzera coupled with a Baratza Vario.

Posted May 29, 2013 link

Highest quality out of every machine out there?
qualin
qualin

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto 3
Grinder: Mazzer Mini Elect. Type A
Vac Pot: Looking to buy
Drip: Manual
Roaster: Considering?
Posted Wed May 29, 2013, 5:14pm

cuznvin Said:

Posted May 29, 2013 link

Well, highest quality for the price point I suppose.. I'd say the Cuadra offers better value for the price since it has a true E61 grouphead.
I don't think I'm at liberty to say which machine is better, although I wouldn't mind hearing about comparisons between the two machines.

From my point of view, at least IMHO, the plastic side panels of the Cuadra are a cost cutting measure, but really don't impact what is in the cup.

The only motivation I could see to moving to the Bezzera would be it's compact size. Again IMHO.

Garbage In, Garbage Out, for every step of the process. From Beans to grinder, grounds to machine, coffee to cup.
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
JPF

Espresso: Mini Vivaldi, Pre-millenium...
Grinder: Dosered SJ, Resurrected...
Vac Pot: Yama Siphon
Drip: Technivorm
Roaster: Behmor, Poppery I
Posted Wed May 29, 2013, 5:44pm

cuznvin Said:

Posted May 29, 2013 link

Coupled with the smallest footprint.

Living the caffeinated life.
CoffeeRon

Posted Fri May 31, 2013, 3:58am

And the anticipation grows, like waiting for the final chapter of a good book. Does our hero give a portion of her counter space over to a true espresso shrine- home to a full blown HX machine and all the glory that comes with it? Does she Keep it smaller and get the base model Mercedes? Does she wait for a good used machine to enter the picture?
   Took me two months to find my used Lyra, it was worth the wait. Just wanted to say good morning :)
showing page 6 of 7 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Need help!...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.429929971695)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+