Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Need help! (Buying advice, please!)
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Need help!...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 5 of 7 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
cuznvin

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: MACAP M4 Stepless /Baratza...
Drip: YouBrew
Posted Sat May 18, 2013, 8:45am
Subject: Re: Need help! (Buying advice, please!)

Stephany Said:

Thanks for the cc1 specs.
    Okay, I feel I am getting much closer!
    I really like the functionality of the cc1, but I'm hung up on . . . Oh, I'll just say it ...looks. How shallow! I feel like the CEO of Abercrombie right now. I've been looking at other machines I've seen the cc1 compared to...the pasquini livietta, the quick mill silvano...all are a few hundred more than the cc1. Ack! But they're pretty. Am I missing any other cc1 comparisons that are pretty but more in the cc1 price range? Or am i going to have to make a decision about how much I think looks are worth? Can you make me feel better by saying those other machines have something worth that extra money? (Or am I missing something entirely?)

Shallowly yours,
Stephany

Posted May 17, 2013 link

The longer you look and research, the worse it gets..... UGH
 View Profile Link to this post
CoffeeRon
CoffeeRon

Espresso: Wega Lyra, Europiccola(still...
Grinder: Macap M7D, Pharos, Vario W,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam CoffeeMaster
Drip: Melita BCM-4
Roaster: FR SR500,B-1600, SC/TO
Posted Sat May 18, 2013, 2:31pm

First I'd like to say that there is nothing wrong whatsoever with wanting something visually appealing sitting on your counter. Are they worth the extra money? I would say yes. A bare bones heat exchange machine will last you for years, will remove the workarounds required with less expensive machines, and you won't look at it wondering if you shouldn't have just spent a little more from the start. Upgraditis will be quite a ways down the road.

There are plenty on here who wish they'd just bought one in the first place instead of working there way up. If you have a little patience you can buy used and save some money, and probably have a machine five years down the road that you could sell for what you paid for it. You can't say that about the CC1.

Just my two cents (maybe four),
                      Ron
fredk01

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Saeco Aroma
Grinder: OE Pharos
Posted Sat May 18, 2013, 2:40pm

Stephany Said:

When did buying an espresso machine become so philosophical?

Posted May 18, 2013 link

You may as well get your money's worth out of the decision (hehehe...).  Honestly, if you are going to put something on your counter for the next 10 years and you care about the look of the area it is going into, it's worth extra money.
Stephany

Posted Sun May 19, 2013, 6:36pm

Sigh. So, here's my latest dilemma.
    I was set to go for the livietta t2. Psyched that it could brew and froth simul. Fund an open box at a price I can live with. Is totally cute and bet yet really small footprint and quick heat up time. But of course, I'm checking review after review for this, and some are saying its basically a cheapo krups or capresso with a pretty face and a much higher price tag. Of
Post of this is rushing the thermoblock. So please, give it to me strait, coffee geeks, is this a sucky marine, or what? I can take it.
Click Here (www.home-barista.com)
dana_leighton
dana_leighton
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Isomac Relax; Caferina...
Grinder: Macap MXK; Baratza Vario-W;...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: Technivorm; CCD; Melitta
Roaster: Poppery I w/PID controller
Posted Sun May 19, 2013, 6:51pm

Stephany Said:

Post of this is rushing the thermoblock. So please, give it to me strait, coffee geeks, is this a sucky marine, or what? I can take it.
Click Here (www.home-barista.com)

Posted May 19, 2013 link

I would trust Jim's assessment.

Dana Leighton - Espresso hack and CoffeeGeek moderator
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
fernadomartin
fernadomartin
Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sun May 19, 2013, 9:15pm

If you are looking for a espresso equipment,please check out these major quality factors before buying it.

1.Quality of components (that lead to better extraction of coffee and better reliability)

2.External design and materials used

3.User interface, programming, convenience, settings and ease of use

If you are choosing a semi automatic or an automatic espresso machines ,these things requires a bit of skill to operate like operating Ferrari for the first time.In order to brew the coffee the perfect cup every time in a day,you need to make use most of it by a prior practice and learn the different subtleties of your machine.After installing my custom La Marzocco machine in my Toronto cafe, My customers started to  commenting on the difference how they felt through the new experience.

http://www.taceesi.com/products/unic/
Stephany

Posted Mon May 20, 2013, 5:54am

Don't spam me, bro.
qualin
qualin

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto 3
Grinder: Mazzer Mini Elect. Type A
Vac Pot: Looking to buy
Drip: Manual
Roaster: Considering?
Posted Mon May 20, 2013, 7:53pm

fernadomartin Said:

If you are looking for a espresso equipment,please check out these major quality factors before buying it.

Posted May 19, 2013 link

Your post has relevance, component and material quality does have everything to do with the longevity of a machine. Although, most
every machine on the market is fairly easy to use, when it comes down to doing machine programming though, some machines can get a
little tricky, like programming the timer on a La Spaziale machine.

A term which is used occasionally in my work is "RTFM" .. Read the freaking manual. :) I find that before buying a piece of equipment, make
sure that you take the time to read the manual of the device online thoroughly, or ask the vendor to loan you a copy while you are in their store
and see for yourself how difficult the instructions are to follow. A poorly written manual means that they probably didn't put a lot of care into the
construction of the machine. Either that or someone else translated the manual from another language and didn't do a very good job. :-)

fernadomartin Said:

After installing my custom La Marzocco machine in my Toronto cafe,

Posted May 19, 2013 link

Did you even read the thread the OP posted? We're talking about a consumer based machine, not some commercial monster. I really hope
that you do not represent TACE Espresso systems, because there is nothing on that website that any normal consumer can afford, not unless
they actually can afford a Ferrari.

Garbage In, Garbage Out, for every step of the process. From Beans to grinder, grounds to machine, coffee to cup.
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
qualin
qualin

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto 3
Grinder: Mazzer Mini Elect. Type A
Vac Pot: Looking to buy
Drip: Manual
Roaster: Considering?
Posted Mon May 20, 2013, 8:02pm

Stephany Said:

I was set to go for the livietta t2. Psyched that it could brew and froth simul.

Posted May 19, 2013 link

IMO, the only machines worth considering which can brew and steam at the same time are boiler based machines, either heat exchanging or double boiler machines.

The thing to consider is that while it doesn't really take a lot of power to keep water hot at brew temperatures, considerably more power is needed to generate steam.
This is why a lot of double boiler machines give you the option to switch out the steam boiler.

What you want in any machine is good thermal inertia so that the machine can keep up with you and stay rock solid, no matter how many drinks you make, from one drink
all the way to cranking out drink after drink with a party going on. In my eyes, a boiler is absolutely mandatory for doing this. Any machine with a quick warm up time suffers
from good temperature stability.

I could rant about thermoblocks all day long, but in a nutshell our advice is not to buy them if you can afford something better.

It certainly doesn't hurt to keep asking questions if you find a good deal on something.

Garbage In, Garbage Out, for every step of the process. From Beans to grinder, grounds to machine, coffee to cup.
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
nbmac

Espresso: Andreja Premium, Cremina
Grinder: VPharos, Lido2
Posted Thu May 23, 2013, 9:59am

So here's the challenge:
What is your advice for the best set up for someone who doesn't want it to take up a lot of space, wants it easily accessible, wants to be able to make milk-based drinks, and wants the total price  to be $600 plus or minus.
Of course, I'm not a huge connoisseur, I just really like a good espresso.

I hope I've given you enough to go on...and it's my birthday and Mother's Day present. My husband will be mad a me If I don't buy it soon!

Thanks!!

If you're really looking to keep the price down, I would encourage you to look at the pharos hand grinder by orphanespresso.  I'm really happy with it, and at $275, it's pretty good bang for your buck.
showing page 5 of 7 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Need help!...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.471615791321)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+