Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Giotto Premium Problem
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Giotto Premium...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Providence

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Giotto Premium, La Valentina
Grinder: Rocky Doserless
Drip: Capresso Team
Roaster: Alpenrost
Posted Thu May 9, 2013, 5:48pm
Subject: Giotto Premium Problem

I've been having some problems with my machine and I'm hoping to hear from someone with the same experience.  In a nutshell the machine overheats and trips my gfi. The problem wasn't always this bad but has gotten progressively worse.
I sent my machine out for repair and $400 later it did the same. It's in for repair again with someone who is doing everything under the sun to fix it. The heating element has been replaced, the pressure stat has been replaced twice however after three days of continuous run time it is still overheating.
Could it be scale?  Is there something we are missing?  
I would certainly appreciate your comments.
 View Profile Link to this post
SStones
SStones
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Giga 5, ECM Giotto, Rocket...
Grinder: Anfim Milano-Best
Vac Pot: No  :(
Drip: Some $30 thing from Walmart
Roaster: I buy pre-roasted.
Posted Thu May 9, 2013, 7:05pm
Subject: Re: Giotto Premium Problem

How old is the machine?  Is there any way you could take a photo of the pressostat that shows the wires connected to it?
Are they thin wires from the p-stat both going directly to the power board?
Or are they thick wires in a circuit from the powerboard, through the High-Limit thermostat, through the P-Stat to the element?
The problem has to be in the P-Stat, the wiring, the element or the powerboard.
I know you said that the element had been replaced, but check the new one for a short to ground. Even if it's up in the thousands of ohms when measured, it will get worse when hot and will cause overheating.
If, for sure, there is no short from either of the element connections to boiler-body (And the resistance across the element is somewhere between 10 and 15) then it's a matter of checking out the wiring.
On newer Giottos, some are wired
If it's wired with the pressostat controlling the powerboard, and the powerboard powering the element directly, then it is likely that the relay on the powerboard is sticking closed (On) even when not getting the signal from the p-stat.  This can be fixed by re-wiring the powerboard to power the element through your pressostat instead of directly.

Feel free to email me if you want to send pictures of the p-stat wiring. I could rule out the "Sticky Relay on the Powerboard" if it's wired the "through the p-stat" way.

The "tripping the GFCI" thing really points at cracked element.
Does it trip the GFCI within 5 seconds of turning it on?
Providence

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Giotto Premium, La Valentina
Grinder: Rocky Doserless
Drip: Capresso Team
Roaster: Alpenrost
Posted Fri May 10, 2013, 5:09am
Subject: Re: Giotto Premium Problem

Thanks for responding. I really appreciate it. I don't have my machine as it is in for repair but I have passed your comments on. I hope the service center I am using will reach out to you. Thanks so much for taking the time to share your expertise.
My machine is about ten years old. I can remember that even when I first got the machine the pressure gauge would stick and I would tap it and it would resume normal operation. I guess that was probably the first sign something was wrong.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Giotto Premium...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.324352025986)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+