Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Is 4.75 to 5.25 bars enough brew pressure on a CC1?
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Is 4.75 to 5.25...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
DeanOK
DeanOK
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: QM Vetrano 2B
Grinder: Vario W
Posted Tue May 7, 2013, 9:07pm
Subject: Is 4.75 to 5.25 bars enough brew pressure on a CC1?

If you have been following my saga, I have failed to make consistently good espresso with my CC1. Grasping for straws, I decided to check the brew head pressure. With the brew head completely blanked off I get about 5.25 bars (if my gauge is correct). If I allow a very small amount of water to flow through, the brew head pressure drops to 4.75 bars. I was expecting around 9 blanked off. I know the pressure regulating valve is opening because I can see water returning to the tank through the return line when the portafilter is blanked off.

Is this pressure ok or is this an issue?

Thanks for putting up with me!
 View Profile Link to this post
OttoMatic

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Brewtus IV-R
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario,...
Drip: Capresso MT500+
Roaster: Cast iron dutch oven
Posted Tue May 7, 2013, 9:18pm
Subject: Re: Is 4.75 to 5.25 bars enough brew pressure on a CC1?

I'm far from an expert, but I think that's a bit low.  Your assumption of around 9 bars is more like it.
billc

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: CC1 - GS - GS3 - GB5
Grinder: Baratza - Mazzer-Marzocco
Drip: My own Creation
Posted Tue May 7, 2013, 9:24pm

Dean,
The OPV is set to about 9 bar at the factory.  Using a blind basket with no flow should yield about 10 bar pressure.  There could be something stuck in the OPV allowing more water to pass than normal.  Send me an email or PM, I would like to know more.

Bill
DeanOK
DeanOK

Posted Wed May 8, 2013, 11:57am

At this point, my frustration level is extremely high. I think my next step will be to confirm that my gauge is correct.

My Vario W is calibrated per factory instructions and I have the grind set to almost as fine as it will go... that doesn't seem to marry up with a low brew pressure... but we will see.
germantownrob
germantownrob
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Duetto 3, A Dead Oscar
Grinder: Vario-W, Preciso w/Esatto,...
Drip: Brazen
Roaster: Diedrich IR-1, HT B
Posted Wed May 8, 2013, 12:25pm

billc Said:

Dean,
The OPV is set to about 9 bar at the factory.  Using a blind basket with no flow should yield about 9-9.5 bar pressure.  There could be something stuck in the OPV allowing more water to pass than normal.  Send me an email or PM, I would like to know more.

Bill

Posted May 7, 2013 link

DeanOK Said:

At this point, my frustration level is extremely high. I think my next step will be to confirm that my gauge is correct.

My Vario W is calibrated per factory instructions and I have the grind set to almost as fine as it will go... that doesn't seem to marry up with a low brew pressure... but we will see.

Posted May 8, 2013 link

Do yourself a favor and take Mr Crosslands offer and send him an email.
billc

Posted Wed May 8, 2013, 4:48pm

One thing to check is if you can choke the machine at the finest grind setting.  If you can not do this then there are some other things to check.

BillC
DeanOK
DeanOK

Posted Wed May 8, 2013, 5:55pm

billc Said:

One thing to check is if you can choke the machine at the finest grind setting.  If you can not do this then there are some other things to check.

BillC

Posted May 8, 2013 link

I can tell you that I have choked the machine in the recent past. One issue I have had in the past is that I can adjust my grind to get a decent shot, come in the next day, use the same grind and tamping technique and get a gusher. That might possibly point to a change in pressures from one shot the next, but I have not been able to see that kind of variation testing it with the pressure gauge. I have tested it about 5 times and the results are all similar. I still plan on connecting my gauge to compressed air and making sure it is accurate (not enough hours in a day).
billc

Posted Thu May 9, 2013, 7:51am

Dean,
Thanks for the info.  I just wanted to cover the bases on this one.  I have done a bunch of trouble shooting with others and found that it was impossible to choke the machine with the grinder they were using.  It turned out that there were two reasons; 1, grinder was not capable of grinding fine enough and 2. The coffee was old enough that even at the finest setting is still allowed water to flow through like crazy.

The pressure from the machine will not vary that much.  There could be a point when something is wrong and the pressure changes but it will probably stay that way and not vary that much.  Typically the OPV's give fairly consistent results.  Not to say that your case is an exception to the rule.  There could also be a pump issue but it sounds from your results that it is performing properly.

BillC
DeanOK
DeanOK

Posted Thu May 9, 2013, 10:49am

billc Said:

Dean,
...... There could also be a pump issue but it sounds from your results that it is performing properly.

BillC

Posted May 9, 2013 link

Thank you! I have a gauge screwed right onto the portafilter, so the gauge itself is blanking off the flow. I think the real answer is to verify that my gauge is correct since we know the gauge is reading considerably lower than it should.  I made it out to my shop last night and was going to hook the gauge to compressed air and compare it to some other gauges I have, but I lacked the correct fittings to make the connection so I will do that in the next few days.

I do know that the 3 way valve is not leaking during the blank off test and I also know that the pressure valve is opening and relieving excess pressure back to the tank during the blank off test. Also, you may remember, I have had issues with the steam wand leaking water (in the past) when it was not supposed too, but it does not appear to be leaking water during the blank off test either. All of that sounds good, so maybe my gauge is bad.... but the gauge is brand new. I will test it just to make sure.
myallawala
myallawala
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Mazzer Major & Baratza Vario
Vac Pot: Yama Burner
Drip: Hario V60 & Chemex
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Thu May 9, 2013, 3:09pm

billc Said:

Dean,
Thanks for the info.  I just wanted to cover the bases on this one.  I have done a bunch of trouble shooting with others and found that it was impossible to choke the machine with the grinder they were using.  It turned out that there were two reasons; 1, grinder was not capable of grinding fine enough and 2. The coffee was old enough that even at the finest setting is still allowed water to flow through like crazy.

The pressure from the machine will not vary that much.  There could be a point when something is wrong and the pressure changes but it will probably stay that way and not vary that much.  Typically the OPV's give fairly consistent results.  Not to say that your case is an exception to the rule.  There could also be a pump issue but it sounds from your results that it is performing properly.

BillC

Posted May 9, 2013 link

Sorry to use this thread, but Bill, has your e-mail changed? I tried getting in touch about something with no response.. it's been a few weeks. Thinkin' I might have gotten the wrong e-mail.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Is 4.75 to 5.25...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.54205083847)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+