Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Questions for Rocket Giotto Premium plus V2 owners.
Italian Biscotti Cookies
Premium artisan quality Italian Biscotti cookies. Many flavors!
www.espressozone.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Questions for...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
F1

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Wed May 8, 2013, 9:11pm
Subject: Questions for Rocket Giotto Premium plus V2 owners.

I've owned this machine for about 3 weeks now. It's paired with a Vario grinder. The user manual is very vague. I have no previous experience with any other espresso machine.

1. Once I power on the machine I have to wait 15mins and 1 bar of pressure before pulling any shots. Correct?

2. Can I pull a shot after the 15mins warm up or do I have to do a water flush? If so, how long of a flush before pulling a shot?

3. Do I have to wait a certain amount of time before pulling any other shots?

4. The pressure gauge fluctuates between .8 and 1.0. Is that normal?

5. Is the pressure gauge supposed to be at 1.0 before pulling a shot?

6. I read that if 5mins have passed after the last shot then I need to do a flush. Correct? If so, how long of a flush?

7. I also read that if I steam milk before pulling a shot I would need to do a flush before the shot. Correct?

8. The manual that comes with the machine does not explain how to descale it. I use filtered water, but no filter is 100% efficient. At some point, maybe 6 months to a year from now I want to descale the system whether it needs it or not. I found two videos on youtube on how to descale a HX machine. The videos are from those two ladies from Seattle Coffee Gear. Both videos explain how to descale a HX machine, but they don't follow the same steps. They are very vague almost like they are making it up as they go. Is there a proper method of how to descale this specific machine?

If there is a place in the internet with pointers on this machine please let me know.

Thx in advance and sorry for all the questions.
 View Profile Link to this post
DavecUK

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Thu May 9, 2013, 1:57am
Subject: Re: Questions for Rocket Giotto Premium plus V2 owners.

1. Once I power on the machine I have to wait 15mins and 1 bar of pressure before pulling any shots. Correct? - NO, you need to wait 45m

2. Can I pull a shot after the 15mins warm up or do I have to do a water flush? If so, how long of a flush before pulling a shot? - NO, YES, until it stops flashing off to steam, perhaps50 ml or more

3. Do I have to wait a certain amount of time before pulling any other shots? - NO

4. The pressure gauge fluctuates between .8 and 1.0. Is that normal? - YES, but your pressure is too low, if should max out at 1.25 bar

5. Is the pressure gauge supposed to be at 1.0 before pulling a shot? - NO

6. I read that if 5mins have passed after the last shot then I need to do a flush. Correct? If so, how long of a flush? - It depends, but usually yes, then see 2 above

7. I also read that if I steam milk before pulling a shot I would need to do a flush before the shot. Correct? - NO, SEE 2 and 6

The manual that comes with the machine does not explain how to descale it. I use filtered water, but no filter is 100% efficient. At some point, maybe 6 months to a year from now I want to descale the system whether it needs it or not. I found two videos on youtube on how to descale a HX machine. The videos are from those two ladies from Seattle Coffee Gear. Both videos explain how to descale a HX machine, but they don't follow the same steps. They are very vague almost like they are making it up as they go. Is there a proper method of how to descale this specific machine? - YES, but with your current lack of knowledge, no details of water hardness, no idea of how much water has passed thru the machine, or whether you use your steam boiler like an electric kettle (e.g. for hot water).  I would be reluctant to advise you.

If there is a place in the internet with pointers on this machine please let me know.

You ought to read this Wiki and my review of the machine to understand things better, this will inform you how an HX machine works, teach you more about coffee and my review of the machine will teach you quite a lot about your machine.
http://coffeetime.wikidot.com/
Click Here (www.bellabarista.co.uk)

Then come back and post questions on what isn't clear, because you have a little bit of background knowledge to get, and advising you on descaling at this point is dangerous
Freddo58

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Fri May 17, 2013, 7:09pm
Subject: Re: Questions for Rocket Giotto Premium plus V2 owners.

From my experience, boiler pressure in these machines is set at 1 bar ("maxing out" at a little under 1.1 bar) ex-factory.
The Rocket documentation states that the pressurestat regulates "0.35 deg C temperature differential tolerance" .  The Sirai /pstat dead zone (from Sirai specs) is 0.15 bar.  So I think Rocket documentation isn't right - they made a mistake in their arithmetic, as that p/stst dead zone equates to about 3 deg C .  Anyway...
What I see is p/stat clicking on at a shade over 0.9 bar, clicking off at just below 1.1 bar, "average" about 1.0.
If the OP's machine is cycling between 0.8 and 1.0 bar, then that's a little low - and could do with adjustment. The p/stst adjustment screw needs more than one full turn to increase 0.1 bar.  If the OP isn't confident to do this themselves, then take the machine for service adjustment.  If the fluctuation is at or over 0.2 bar, then something may be wrong.
But if the low 0.8 bar reading is only after flushing or steaming, and at idle it hovers around the 1.0 bar as above, no adjustment may be needed. Recovery time from ~0.8 bar should only be a few seconds.
The boiler on the machine will keep up with flushing speed/volume, the pressure will drop, the pressurestat will turn on, and boiler pressure will hold at maximum pump flow rate (FWIW, there's no recovery time needed between pulling shots - it could run pulling continuous shots all day).
Yes - some people like 1.2 bar.  For a new user, the 1.0 bar default setting may be fine with the standard 2-hole tip supplied with the machine.  Steaming milk for 2 lattes in a litre jug doesn't seem to be an issue, pressure will drop to about 0.5 or 0.6 bar (recovery time from this is about 20 secs), the steam remains dry, and pressure for texturing is (IMO) good. Steaming milk for 1 cappuccino even at 1 bar is bordering on being out of control - for me anyway.
I don't agree that the boiler should necessarily be set to max out at 1.25 bar.  That might be the choice of some users and good for them, but may be too high for others.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Questions for...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.320949077606)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+