Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Is refurb isomac tea worth 1100?
Saeco Espresso Machines
Large selection in-stock, includes Free Gifts and Free Shipping!
www.espressozone.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Is refurb isomac...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
BeerCan

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Tue May 7, 2013, 5:24pm
Subject: Re: Is refurb isomac tea worth 1100?

OK took another look at this machine today while I was picking up the Astra.  It was very clean and very original.  No replaced parts, but descaled and (acid cleaned?)
I told him I was going to pass.
Nothing good on CL in my area :(
 View Profile Link to this post
DavecUK

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Wed May 8, 2013, 3:30am

BeerCan Said:

OK took another look at this machine today while I was picking up the Astra.  It was very clean and very original.  No replaced parts, but descaled and (acid cleaned?)
I told him I was going to pass.
Nothing good on CL in my area :(

Posted May 7, 2013 link

Good move, original condition is great for antiques and classic cars....for espresso machines more than 5 years old....not so good. If it was a cheaper private sale, then I would say go for it.

Just to help you think about this...if I was selling my Duetto (I have thought about it briefly as I have 3 dual boiler machines, and I am using my QM now. I would be asking a similar price (perhaps slightly more) and it's a much better machine than the Tea. However, I'm not selling it, just thought about it.
1stline
1stline
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Undisclosed
Grinder: Indisclosed
Vac Pot: Bodum Electric
Drip: None
Roaster: None
Posted Wed May 8, 2013, 2:48pm

DavecUK Said:

Yeah that sounds like what we would term "a load of bull"....the sort of you can trust us comment, rather than the specific list of things they to a machine when they refurb it.....which is the minimum you should expect. It sounds like you shouldn't bother with that vendor, most businesses that do things properly are proud to say so and shout it from the rooftops....a mumbled "we went through it"....doesn't do it for me. Also a 90 day labour only warranty doesn't really say much for their refurb does it/ You are paying top money, you expect an excellent job!

Look elsewhere...or buy one cheaper and refurb it yourself, because you will probably do a better job than that vendor will.

Posted May 6, 2013 link

Many US dealers will only offer a 90 day or 6 month warranty on refurbs. This is very common in the USA.

Sincerely,
Jim Piccinich
Business Partner
1st-line Equipment, LLC
www.1st-line.com

Follow us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/1stline
Twitter: http://twitter.com/1stline
Blog: http://1st-line.blogspot.com/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/1stlineespresso
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
DavecUK

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Wed May 8, 2013, 7:55pm

1stline Said:

Many US dealers will only offer a 90 day or 6 month warranty on refurbs. This is very common in the USA.

Posted May 8, 2013 link

I am aware of this, but the OP said a 90 labour only warranty.... I don't think that's standing behind their refurb in my books and I think a 6 month parts/labour warranty Is more what I personally would expect. Certainly we have a better situation within the UK. In a sense the market in any country is consumer driven, so all the warranty stuff is ultimately decided by the consumer and retailers step up to meet consumer demand. The issue is one of consumer expectation and education, because without some knowledge the consumer finds it hard to make good choices. Hopefully now the other person understands what they should expect from a refurb of a machine over 5 years old (as opposed to a used non refurbed machine), or a machine up to 2 years old.. As for warranty, again they can make a choice. In this case the OP didn't state how old the machine was, so I covered all the bases.

I am guessing, you are NOT the retailer in question, but if you are, you can take my comments as positive statement of what I believe any retailer should be doing/stating when they refurbish a machine of any real age and sell as refurbished. Then it's easy to give a parts and labour warranty, because they know it's going to be right..
BeerCan

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Fri May 10, 2013, 1:23pm

So let me ask this.  What is the general consensus on the Astra machines? http://www.astramfr.com/gourmet.html  I don't see a lot posted about them and I am wondering why.  $ to $ and lb to lb do the stack up to the other more popular brands?  I have a line on a factory refurb gourmet pro for 1750.
I also decided to up my budget and get a grinder looking at Click Here (www.wholelattelove.com)  but I guess that is a discussion for another thread.
So 3k total for grinder and machine.
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Is refurb isomac...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Quality Espresso Machines
Imported Italian Espresso Machines, Coffee Machines & accessories for all your coffee needs!
www.thecoffeebrewers.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.39480304718)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+