Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Breville Dual Boiler BES900XL Owners Thread
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville Dual...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 207 of 258 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
jchung
jchung
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Baby Twin, Breville...
Grinder: Baratza Encore, Breville...
Posted Mon May 6, 2013, 9:09am
Subject: Re: Breville Dual Boiler BES900XL Owners Thread

jchung Said:

FYI... I just returned from BBB. They accepted my 20% off coupon for the BDB. The final price was a couple $$$ less than the order at WLL because the BBB order includes shipping and taxes. The guy said they had to charge shipping since its an item they don't carry in that particular store.

Joo

Posted April 26, 2013 link

FYI... just received the BDB from BBB. Its a /B.

Joo
 View Profile Link to this post
PrescottCR
PrescottCR
Expertise: Pro Roaster

Espresso: Breville
Grinder: Baratza
Roaster: Diedrich
Posted Mon May 6, 2013, 4:52pm
Subject: That's a sweet deal..

I had the same experience with BBB. Joined up for their texts. Got a 20% off coupon via text message. The website wouldn't apply it to the Smart Oven I was trying to buy. So I went by the mall on the way to the warehouse, and they took it fine. Scanned my phone's screen with the barcode.

How's your new BDB working for you?
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
carz07
carz07
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Breville Dual Boiler
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Bodum Bistro,...
Drip: V60, Phin, Bonmac, Ame. Drip
Posted Mon May 6, 2013, 9:36pm
Subject: taking the crema out

correct me if im wrong, ive read somewhere here that taking out the crema makes a difference in the shot?

Travel the world with a cup of coffee
BubbaDude
BubbaDude
Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Baratza Vario
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: Clever Coffee Dripper
Roaster: Hottop 2KB
Posted Mon May 6, 2013, 10:01pm
Subject: Re: taking the crema out

carz07 Said:

correct me if im wrong, ive read somewhere here that taking out the crema makes a difference in the shot?

Posted May 6, 2013 link

You're not wrong, it makes a difference.

"I've Scaced many HX/E61 machines, seeing shot variances of up to 8-10F or more. [The BDB] stays within 1F." - Mark Prince
carz07
carz07

Posted Mon May 6, 2013, 10:38pm
Subject: Re: taking the crema out

BubbaDude Said:

You're not wrong, it makes a difference.

Posted May 6, 2013 link

hi bubbadude, would it make a huge difference in making it taste good? in that case how about those beans they call super crema. and would the pull be still on the same dry/wet ratio but then just take the crema after, which means less grams now for the wet after taking crema?

PrescottCR
PrescottCR

Posted Tue May 7, 2013, 7:21am
Subject: crema and shots

Good crema is a sign of a good shot. That is, the coffee isn't stale, burrs are sharp, water is hot, and you prepared your shot well. Some roasters blend Robusta into their espresso blends in an effort to get more crema. Too much robusta and there will be a distinct rubbery aftertaste. If you're getting good, fresh coffee then you won't miss the robusta because you'll have full, persistent crema.

Good crema by itself doesn't taste good. Try it. Scoop it off and taste. What it's supposed to be doing on top of your shot is keeping the shot under it from oxidizing (I believe, interacting with air) and going stale.

Your shot may look homogenous under the crema, but it's not, and this is why you'll see some stir their shots. Some will even scoop off the crema then gulp the shot.

My impression is that crema has become eye candy. How many times have we heard 'its what's on the inside that matters?' Crema can tell you a lot about your coffee, grinder, machine and technique. Naked PFs help you read the crema showing you how your grooming/packing technique was.

I know you didn't ask me directly, but I thought I'd chime in. Crema is a good sign, but it's not what's good in your shot.
carz07
carz07

Posted Tue May 7, 2013, 8:21am
Subject: Re: crema and shots

PrescottCR Said:

Good crema is a sign of a good shot. That is, the coffee isn't stale, burrs are sharp, water is hot, and you prepared your shot well. Some roasters blend Robusta into their espresso blends in an effort to get more crema. Too much robusta and there will be a distinct rubbery aftertaste. If you're getting good, fresh coffee then you won't miss the robusta because you'll have full, persistent crema.

Good crema by itself doesn't taste good. Try it. Scoop it off and taste. What it's supposed to be doing on top of your shot is keeping the shot under it from oxidizing (I believe, interacting with air) and going stale.

Your shot may look homogenous under the crema, but it's not, and this is why you'll see some stir their shots. Some will even scoop off the crema then gulp the shot.

My impression is that crema has become eye candy. How many times have we heard 'its what's on the inside that matters?' Crema can tell you a lot about your coffee, grinder, machine and technique. Naked PFs help you read the crema showing you how your grooming/packing technique was.

I know you didn't ask me directly, but I thought I'd chime in. Crema is a good sign, but it's not what's good in your shot.

Posted May 7, 2013 link

any views is welcomed i was addressing it to bubbadude as not to break the conversation, but this forum welcomes everyone. so just a newbie question, so if i scoop off the crema i will have a smaller amount of coffee left? so should i stay away from those super crema beans because they are designed to make thick crema and im just gonna scoop them off so that leaves me with little coffee, than with beans with just the right crema gives me more coffee after the scoop. am i interpreting these correctly?

klund
klund
Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: Baratza Vario-W
Posted Tue May 7, 2013, 9:01am

carz07 Said:

so should i stay away from those super crema beans because they are designed to make thick crema and im just gonna scoop them off so that leaves me with little coffee, than with beans with just the right crema gives me more coffee after the scoop. am i interpreting these correctly?

Posted May 7, 2013 link

I would suggest this:

1. Make your espresso.
  2. Drink it.
  3. Make another espresso.
  4. Scoop off the crema.
  5. Drink it.
  6. Think about steps 2 and 5 - which did you enjoy better?

Some people say they don't like the taste of the crema. Some people say that the mouthfeel of the crema adds to the flavors. Some people say that Nickelback is a good band. Personal taste is a strange thing.

In this area, you'll have to experiment and determine what you like.

-- klund

Well then, you should see me without coffee.
 View Profile Link to this post
PrescottCR
PrescottCR

Posted Tue May 7, 2013, 9:27am
Subject: exactly.

You gotta try different things and find what you like. Klund hit the nail on the head.

There are only a few 'right ways' and 'wrong ways' in coffee. So much is opinion.

I like Americanos, about 4oz of water to 1oz of espresso. To some that is sacrilege. It is the espresso drink equivalent of Nickelback. Some put salt in their espresso cup, some put SUGAR on top of the espresso puck. Others even use portafilters for tea leaves. Hippies.

The super crema beans prolly have a good taste to them, if you already have them then try them every different way you care to and see what you like. If you like them, then you're buying them because you like them and not because of any advertising hype about crema or whatever.

This is why getting all the steps along the way to making espresso ironed out is important. So if you're experimenting the variables are all controlled to the point where you can mess with one at a time and see what you like. Get your technique down so your consistent in the cup, then play with variables.

Crema is encapsulated CO2 mostly, so by removing it your apparent volume will decrease, but it's mostly air. If you were going by weight, the shot would lose very little mass if you scoop it off.  If you were a cafe selling espresso shots then this is a bigger deal (here in the States) where customers want to see bulk for their buck. Which is prolly why I find SO many machines set to dose Lungo style shots even though the extra volume adds nothing (more likely detrimental) to the flavor. Of course, that's MY opinion :)

Enjoy the journey!
carz07
carz07

Posted Tue May 7, 2013, 9:55am

klund Said:

I would suggest this:

Make your espresso.
Drink it.
Make another espresso.
Scoop off the crema.
Drink it.
Think about steps 2 and 5 - which did you enjoy better?

Some people say they don't like the taste of the crema. Some people say that the mouthfeel of the crema adds to the flavors. Some people say that Nickelback is a good band. Personal taste is a strange thing.

In this area, you'll have to experiment and determine what you like.

Posted May 7, 2013 link

correct guess i will try it that scoop and taste it, still at the end of the day its the taste, the reason why im asking this is that im trying to perfect my shots, and i just want to know if the scooping might make a difference like sort of a new guideline

showing page 207 of 258 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville Dual...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.480692863464)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+