Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Jura Super Automatic to Semi-Auto Quick Mill Silvano?
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Jura Super...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
Author Messages
dana_leighton
dana_leighton
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Isomac Relax; Caferina...
Grinder: Macap MXK; Baratza Vario-W;...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: Technivorm; CCD; Melitta
Roaster: Poppery I w/PID controller
Posted Sun May 12, 2013, 5:29pm
Subject: Re: Jura Super Automatic to Semi-Auto Quick Mill Silvano?

pacificmanitou Said:

Does the Vario-W grind into a portafilter? Having the ability to grind directly is really convenient.

Posted May 12, 2013 link

No it does not, but most of us find grinding into the bin and pouring into the basket to be easy.

Dana Leighton - Espresso hack and CoffeeGeek moderator
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
eieio

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Sun May 12, 2013, 7:18pm
Subject: Quick Mill Silvano & Baratza Vario (not Vario W)

Thanks for all the valuable suggestions.

I plan to buy:   the Quick Mill Silvano and the Baratza Vario (not the Vario W), in order to allow myself to dial in more precisely the grinds.   I am guessing that it is a very significant variable and that it is well worth the upgrade to the Vario.  I particularly like the fact that the Vario (and most Baratzas in general), are super great at extremely low grind retention.   I abhor grind retention as I'm a one-person, 1-2 Americano per day drinker, so if the grind retention is poor (i.e. the Capresso conical burr grinder - i had roughly 1 tablespoon of grind retention in the burr chamber!),  it would make a huge difference to me.

i have no espresso accessories at all!  no tamper, no tamping mat, no tamp holder, nothing whatsoever.

may i ask what tamper, what tamping mat, what tamp holder (if it is recommended to have one), and other items i ought to order?   i intend to place this order asap Monday morning (tomorrow).

how is the Cafelat brand?   are their Ribbed Silicone tampers good?  how about their other accessories like their tamping mat, their tamp holders, etc?

thanks very much!
 View Profile Link to this post
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Sun May 12, 2013, 8:17pm

Personally, I think you might regret spending the few extra bucks to get the W.  I don't use the bucket it comes with I use 2 yogurt cups.  One whole to catch the grinds and one cut to be a funnel.  Less mess, less trouble than it sounds to say it.

This is what I did to grind directly into the basket.
What you see:
cut yogurt cup
Basket
small metal cup
3m command strip tape

I would still be doing this if I had ridgeless baskets.  Now, I just put the whole yogurt cup into the metal cup and grind into it, stir to fluff the grinds and pour into the basket with the cut cup on top acting as a funnel.  Then I remove the funnel and tamp.

Coffeenoobie: basket.jpg
(Click for larger image)

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
pacificmanitou

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Thu May 16, 2013, 11:19am

eieio Said:

i have no espresso accessories at all!  no tamper, no tamping mat, no tamp holder, nothing whatsoever.

may i ask what tamper, what tamping mat, what tamp holder (if it is recommended to have one), and other items i ought to order?   i intend to place this order asap Monday morning (tomorrow).

how is the Cafelat brand?   are their Ribbed Silicone tampers good?  how about their other accessories like their tamping mat, their tamp holders, etc?

thanks very much!

Posted May 12, 2013 link

The thing about espresso is, there are plenty of toys to go with it. Some are useful, some, IMO are just toys. You need a tamper, the role of tamping is overplayed, and some do not tamp, but its still good to have one. The way you tamp is subjective to your technique, which is a personal choice, and sometimes dictated by your machine. Similarly, your tamper choice is highly subjective. Most any will do the job, you need to decide on one that fits your aesthetic, and go from there. If you like, there are some custom makers out there. You also need a knockbox, while you could get on without it, the mess youd make is worth $30. You will probably want a .1 gram scale, since it makes dialing in and calibrating much easier. You may want something to tamp on, like a mat, to protect your portafilter and the surfaces under it, but that is your choice and is a completely unnecessary piece. Beyond that, any accessory is up to you. Buy as much or as little as you like, but the outcome will not be impacted at all.
 View Profile Link to this post
showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Jura Super...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.403935909271)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+