Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Is refurb isomac tea worth 1100?
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Is refurb isomac...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
BeerCan

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sun May 5, 2013, 3:46pm
Subject: Is refurb isomac tea worth 1100?

I recently had to take the office Astra in for a repair and the shop had a refurbished isomac tea for $1100
I am really wanting to get a unit for the house and this caught my eye.  Is that a good price for the isomac or should I keep looking?
Budget is 1500 and I already have a grinder (vario)  Cheers.
 View Profile Link to this post
NobbyR
NobbyR
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Mon May 6, 2013, 4:11am
Subject: Re: Is refurb isomac tea worth 1100?

I think the avarage price for a new Isomac Tea is $1649, so $1000 for a refurbished model seems a reasonably good offer.

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
DavecUK

Posted Mon May 6, 2013, 9:49am

Well....it really depends on exactly what "refurbished" means!!

If it means they cleaned it up, checked it works, fixed anything that didn't...NO.

If they did a proper refurb job, with a warranty, then perhaps.

I'll give you just a few examples of what I mean for a proper refurb, specifically for that machine....and assuming it's 5-10 years old!

1. new Ulka pump
  2. Rebuilt interior of group (springs, valves, cams, with all new components inside, new shower screen and gasket
  3. New pressurestat (preferable replace the CEME stat for a MA-TER XP110
  4. Fully descaled and checked for leaks
  5. Replacement Vacuum breaker
  6. Replacement Safety valve (the older ones were not much good), with a better quality modern replacement
  7. Wiring checked and any overheated terminal connectors replaced, any damaged wiring changed

Now if they are not doing all this, on a machine that might well be around 7 years old....walk away.

P.S. Oh and the cost of all these components for people in the trade...no more than around 140 - 180 USD...plus their labour, but of course then you get a machine that you will want to own and should be relatively trouble free for 5 years. If it's quite a new machine a few years old only, then the above is not applicable. You should be able to get the date from serial number and possibly it will even be stamped on the lead or some components inside.
BeerCan

Posted Mon May 6, 2013, 9:59am

Dave,
Great answer thank you.  The guy told me the "went through it" so I do not know the extent of what they did.  Gut feeling is they verified it works and cleaned it.  They are offering a 90 labor only warranty.
I am going to talk to him later today and I will see if I can get more info, but I guess the search continues.
DavecUK

Posted Mon May 6, 2013, 12:25pm

BeerCan Said:

Dave,
Great answer thank you.  The guy told me the "went through it" so I do not know the extent of what they did.  Gut feeling is they verified it works and cleaned it.  They are offering a 90 labor only warranty.
I am going to talk to him later today and I will see if I can get more info, but I guess the search continues.

Posted May 6, 2013 link

Yeah that sounds like what we would term "a load of bull"....the sort of you can trust us comment, rather than the specific list of things they to a machine when they refurb it.....which is the minimum you should expect. It sounds like you shouldn't bother with that vendor, most businesses that do things properly are proud to say so and shout it from the rooftops....a mumbled "we went through it"....doesn't do it for me. Also a 90 day labour only warranty doesn't really say much for their refurb does it/ You are paying top money, you expect an excellent job!

Look elsewhere...or buy one cheaper and refurb it yourself, because you will probably do a better job than that vendor will.
BeerCan

Posted Mon May 6, 2013, 4:31pm

I wanted to work because then I can be done with looking for a machine.  Shopping for an espresso machine has been one of the most frustrating experiences I have had.  
There are to many choices and I get analysis paralysis comparing brands.  I also get the "for $200 more I can get . . ."  syndrome.  Guess it could be worse, I could be coffee less LOL
NobbyR
NobbyR

Posted Tue May 7, 2013, 2:24am

DavecUK Said:

Well....it really depends on exactly what "refurbished" means.

Posted May 6, 2013 link

From a professional seller I'd expect refurbished to mean "restored to a condition as good as new". YMMV

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
DavecUK

Posted Tue May 7, 2013, 5:09am

NobbyR Said:

From a professional seller I'd expect refurbished to mean "restored to a condition as good as new". YMMV

Posted May 7, 2013 link

I don't expect that (because it's not possible), what I do expect is the minimum of work done that I mentioned, with the machine having an external appearance commensurate with it's age and ultimately that factor also affects the price.
NobbyR
NobbyR

Posted Tue May 7, 2013, 6:05am

It's hard to tell, since we don't have any information about the machine. It might be a machine that's been recently bought and returned for some reason or an older machine that's been used and worked over. However, the limited warranty suggests the later.

DavecUK

Posted Tue May 7, 2013, 8:58am

NobbyR Said:

It's hard to tell, since we don't have any information about the machine. It might be a machine that's been recently bought and returned for some reason or an older machine that's been used and worked over. However, the limited warranty suggests the later.

Posted May 7, 2013 link

Your right the limited warranty does suggest it is older than just a few years and i did make the point about the age of the machine in my post. There are some very good vendors out there and some very lazy ones, I would only take a refurbished machine of a Vendor I trusted and felt did good quality work. Also a warranty type/duration tells me a lot about how willing a vendor is to stand behind their work. Even as a private seller, I would feel more than a little bad if a machine I sold went wrong within 3 months...let alone a labour only warranty, which is a nonsense.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Is refurb isomac...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.424753904343)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+