Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Yet another X vs Y vs Z (Cuadra II vs Bezzera BZ 07 vs Crossland CC1)
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Yet another X vs...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 7 of 8 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Sun May 5, 2013, 11:30am
Subject: Re: Yet another X vs Y vs Z (Cuadra II vs Bezzera BZ 07 vs Crossland CC1)

A coffee bar made in an old tv armoire or wet bar is all the rage now.  There are lots of nice looking tv armoire on the market as people are moving to flat screens.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
OttoMatic

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Brewtus IV-R
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario,...
Drip: Capresso MT500+
Roaster: Cast iron dutch oven
Posted Sun May 5, 2013, 5:22pm
Subject: Re: Yet another X vs Y vs Z (Cuadra II vs Bezzera BZ 07 vs Crossland CC1)

Hey, didiee --

Yep, now you're considering and reconsidering grinders, and espresso machines at the same time.  I see you have the Mini-E in there.  It's easy to do, since it's so popular and it's at a good mid-level price point.  I'll try to help you out and steer you away from it, and I think I already mentioned why it didn't last for three months in my house, but I'll recap quickly here:  slow, clumpy, grind retention, inaccurate grind mass and a little noisy.  The same complaints that others have, though there are also many satisfied customers.

I've never played with the SJ, but I understand it's better in these regards.  It's also BIGGER (as mentioned).

As you noted, I think the Vario might might end up living in the shadow of a big espresso machine, though I understand it does a nice job.  

One grinder that I'd like to play with is the Ceado E37.  It looks good on paper and in the demo videos, but I've never touched one.  Price jumped from $999 to $1175 recently @ WLL, but that may be negotiable.  I understand there were some issues with some circuit boards, but I'm not sure if that was just a few, a persistent problem, or something that's been fixed permanently.

Those, among other things...

Have fun.
 View Profile Link to this post
didiee

Posted Mon May 6, 2013, 7:32am

I rent my current dwelling, so can't really modify anything.  So a dedicated wet bar may be premature.  I think armoire would be a nice touch, but most of them may need some carpentry work.  I don't know if they're actually tall enough to be operator-friendly.  I think standard counter is about 36 inches, so the TV shelf has to be at least that height?  Certainly if I can cut it to that height and put another board on top it would look very nice and add some character to my place....  sounds like project in a bit.  I just brought a kitchen cart that will either relief the congestion on my counter, or house the espresso machine for now.

i have a fairly big living room.  If I were to consider brewtus, I will probably get the Rotary version and get a two jugs as water and outlet sources.  Need to find a way to "hide" these modifications for now.

Grinder that's another bugaboo right now.  Still sorting out everything, considering brand, consistency, versatility, speed and cost.  That's probably another few days/weeks of work.  I almost just want to get the SJ even though it may be a little bigger.  Not like I'm going for the compact feeling anymore, now with a sizable machine and two jugs sitting on the floor.  SJ is almost like the standard people compares to, must has its merits.  On the other hand, size does matter....  I'll stop now and think what i should say next.  hahaha.

Thanks guys again for your time.
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Posted Mon May 6, 2013, 9:03pm

Easier to raise the machine to where you want it with feet or a stand on top of the main shelf (think CRT monitor stand) in a old tv armoire than to hide all that stuff in a rental kitchen.  You can leave the jolly low.  It doesn't have to match the kitchen just be comfortable to you.  I would rather have the machine higher than counter for watching the pull.

Coffeenoobie

didiee

Posted Tue May 7, 2013, 5:09am

I couldnt really see it until you mentioned CRT stand.  

I got something like this
Will need to move a few things then find the best place for it.  

Click Here (www.amazon.com)

kitchen maybe a little tight, so probably find a corner in the living room for it.  I do like the suggestion that SJ can sit a little lower than the machine itself.  It's going to be a giant sitting on that cart in the middle of the living room.... =?
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Posted Tue May 7, 2013, 5:38am

I have seen it done well and it closes off so gets high marks from the spouse.

Coffeenoobie

Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Posted Wed May 8, 2013, 10:09am

Here is the link I was thinking of
"Wife says espresso machine out of kitchen or else!"

Coffeenoobie

didiee

Posted Wed May 8, 2013, 7:54pm

That does look very nice. I guess it takes self contain to a new level.
Was trying to decipher how he propped the counter up and secured it...
didiee

Posted Thu May 9, 2013, 3:08pm

my endless search has ended today.
placed a order with WLL for Brewtus IV along with a SJ.

Maybe an overkill for the first machine, at least hold me off from upgraditis for a while, i hope.

I did get the Rotary pump version... from the expert, it should not damage the machine drawing from a jug.  Will likely get a ball-check value, not sure will be totally necessary?  
Super excited for its arrival, should be here after the weekend.

Now marching on to learn about water, so the new machine will not scale!

As always, comments, suggestions, advice are more than welcome.
pfn

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra II
Grinder: KA Proline w/ Mazzer Mini...
Posted Thu May 9, 2013, 7:13pm

didiee Said:

my endless search has ended today.
placed a order with WLL for Brewtus IV along with a SJ.

Maybe an overkill for the first machine, at least hold me off from upgraditis for a while, i hope.

I did get the Rotary pump version... from the expert, it should not damage the machine drawing from a jug.  Will likely get a ball-check value, not sure will be totally necessary?  
Super excited for its arrival, should be here after the weekend.

Now marching on to learn about water, so the new machine will not scale!

As always, comments, suggestions, advice are more than welcome.

Posted May 9, 2013 link

Use softened water, but not pure RO water. RO water will destroy copper/brass internals. And damn, man, you really did more than double your original budget  :-P. Might as well buy a TDS meter and keep track of your water hardness that way  ;-). Enjoy your forthcoming toy! Got all your accessories, too, I hope: backflush detergent, descaler, tamper, tamping mat, knockbox, cups, etc.
showing page 7 of 8 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Yet another X vs...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.386871099472)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+