Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Jura S9 problems
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Jura S9 problems  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
motherof4

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Tue Apr 30, 2013, 9:33am
Subject: Jura S9 problems

I've had my Jura S9 for several years now, and have had the brew unit replaced once (about a year ago).  Now it's acting up in a funny way--sometime when you try to make a coffee (any kind) no water comes through the brew unit.  The coffee grounds are expelled dry. Sometime it works, and sometimes it doesn't. Any ideas out there on what may be the problem.  When I run the rinse cycle the water goes into the tray from somewhere internally, but does not come through the spouts.
 View Profile Link to this post
MerleApAmber

Espresso: Breville BES900
Grinder: Baratza Preciso + Esatto
Vac Pot: Yuma
Drip: bah-humbug
Roaster: Hot Top 2K P
Posted Tue Apr 30, 2013, 1:09pm
Subject: Re: Jura S9 problems

That it doesn't happen every time is challenging. That you have unusual rinse behavior also seems to indicate a problem beyond what Jura would like the owner to troubleshoot. I don't know if you'd looked through the owners manual, I found it here US.Jura Click Here (www.us.jura.com)
It seems the only step that appears to address your problem is on page 35 under Troubleshooting. I don't know if that extends much help. On the other hand, in the first column on the same page, the company lists its' Customer Service Hot Line:  800 220 5701.
SStones
SStones
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Giga 5, ECM Giotto, Rocket...
Grinder: Anfim Milano-Best
Vac Pot: No  :(
Drip: Some $30 thing from Walmart
Roaster: I buy pre-roasted.
Posted Tue Apr 30, 2013, 5:22pm

The water is either leaking out of your brew unit past a worn O-ring on the upper or lower piston or the drain valve is not closing properly and the water is getting out there before getting into the coffee.  Run the cleaning cycle with a cleaning tablet, it is possible that the drain valve is just crudded up, and this could help.  If it doesn't sound like the pump is struggling, then the water is escaping somewhere. If the grounds aren't damp, then the leak is before it gets through the three-way/drain valve (Bottom of the brew unit) and up into the coffee grounds.  If the water ends up in the tray and not leaking out of a corner of the machine, then it is leaking very close to the brew unit or drain valve.

Does it only happen when you use pre-ground, or is it random even when using the grinder with the usual beans?  If it's only with preground, you can clean the filter in the brew unit with your finger and switch to a coarser pregrind.

Another Brew Unit rebuild would include a new drain valve and take care of it.
motherof4

Posted Tue Apr 30, 2013, 7:08pm

SStones Said:

The water is either leaking out of your brew unit past a worn O-ring on the upper or lower piston or the drain valve is not closing properly and the water is getting out there before getting into the coffee.  Run the cleaning cycle with a cleaning tablet, it is possible that the drain valve is just crudded up, and this could help.  If it doesn't sound like the pump is struggling, then the water is escaping somewhere. If the grounds aren't damp, then the leak is before it gets through the three-way/drain valve (Bottom of the brew unit) and up into the coffee grounds.  If the water ends up in the tray and not leaking out of a corner of the machine, then it is leaking very close to the brew unit or drain valve.

Does it only happen when you use pre-ground, or is it random even when using the grinder with the usual beans?  If it's only with preground, you can clean the filter in the brew unit with your finger and switch to a coarser pregrind.

Another Brew Unit rebuild would include a new drain valve and take care of it.

Posted April 30, 2013 link

The coffee is dry, and the pump sounds fine. It is with both the grinder and the pre ground. The water is in the tray, not leaking underneath.

Ill try the cleaning cycle tomorrow. Wish me luck, if this doesn't work I may change to a semiautomatic instead.
MerleApAmber

Espresso: Breville BES900
Grinder: Baratza Preciso + Esatto
Vac Pot: Yuma
Drip: bah-humbug
Roaster: Hot Top 2K P
Posted Wed May 1, 2013, 7:31am

Pardon me, Nora, if I may be so bold; How much does/did it cost to have a service center remove and replace the brew assembly, and assure proper operation?  (That is, if it was out of warranty the first time?) I'm trying to gain a handle on the economies of scale.  Thank you, with regard, Chris
motherof4

Posted Thu May 2, 2013, 7:48am

Thanks for all the advice. I ran a cleaning cycle and so far so good. As for how much the brew unit replacement was, I don't recall exactly, but think it was about $200. They do clean the machine up and did replace a few buttons for me.
SStones
SStones
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Giga 5, ECM Giotto, Rocket...
Grinder: Anfim Milano-Best
Vac Pot: No  :(
Drip: Some $30 thing from Walmart
Roaster: I buy pre-roasted.
Posted Thu May 2, 2013, 5:39pm

If the cleaning cycle made a big difference, it is possible that your sieve or your drain valve was getting stuck or clogged with overly fine coffee grounds. Try setting the grinder a click coarser after the next cleaning cycle if it reclogs in the next couple of months.  If it doesn't make the coffee worse, it may help the brew unit in keeping itself clean.
RodLatte

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Thu Jan 2, 2014, 7:16pm

Had a similar problem. No coffee and dry powder in refuse tray. Found it was due to the metal piston of the water valve at the bottom of the brew unit.

This water valve switches water flow to either through the coffee brewer and then to front of machine OR send water straight to drain tray. A solenoid at the back of machine pushes the piston, which  switches the water direction as required. The normal position is to send water through the coffee brew chamber.

The metal piston of the valve has a spring and a plastic piece at the end. The piston and plastic are connected together via small two small "toggles" on the plastic piece fitting into a collar on the metal piston.

In my machine one of the toggles had broken/worn so that the metal and plastic could seperate during operation. This meant that the piston of valve did not always return to "normal" position and caused water to be pumped directly to refuse tray and not through brew unit.

A dob of super glue to permanently join metal piston to plastic end piece fixed the problem!

To dismantle used:http://www.buessert.de/Technik/Jura-IMPRESSA-S95/Reinigungsanleitung.htm
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Jura S9 problems  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.363876104355)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+