Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Dumb Questions about accessories
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Dumb Questions...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
gophishin

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: ecm technika iv profi
Grinder: baratza vario
Posted Tue Apr 30, 2013, 8:46am
Subject: Re: Dumb Questions about accessories

I went for refurbs on the grinder and the machine, and both came looking and working (so far) brand new.  The reputation of Baratza's customer service gave me good piece of mind on the grinder and the readily available parts and info on the classic also helped with that decision.  

I dealt with two different people at WLL, one of which was nice, and one was a little rude, so I can see where you're coming from.  Maybe if you call back you can get lucky.  I got the impression WLL is not putting a ton of emphasis on their execution.  For example, the tamper they suggested and I ended up getting isn't even listed on their site, but it's a heavy duty stainless rosewood tamper that they sold me for around $25.  They also admitted the the price for the rattleware shot pitcher was mismarked, and gave me over 50% off on it to beat SCG's price, but they still haven't corrected it on their site.
 View Profile Link to this post
ianpirro
ianpirro
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Nuova Simonelli Oscar
Grinder: Macap M4
Posted Tue Apr 30, 2013, 9:06am

Seems there is some up there now, they do go quick   ->    http://www.baratza.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?search=action&category=RFRB
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Jenn312

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Tue Apr 30, 2013, 9:09am

gophishin Said:

I went for refurbs on the grinder and the machine, and both came looking and working (so far) brand new.  The reputation of Baratza's customer service gave me good piece of mind on the grinder and the readily available parts and info on the classic also helped with that decision.  

I dealt with two different people at WLL, one of which was nice, and one was a little rude, so I can see where you're coming from.  Maybe if you call back you can get lucky.  I got the impression WLL is not putting a ton of emphasis on their execution.  For example, the tamper they suggested and I ended up getting isn't even listed on their site, but it's a heavy duty stainless rosewood tamper that they sold me for around $25.  They also admitted the the price for the rattleware shot pitcher was mismarked, and gave me over 50% off on it to beat SCG's price, but they still haven't corrected it on their site.

Posted April 30, 2013 link

I could try to call back but honestly rude customer service is such a turnoff to me I really don't want to give them any business. I mean how much does it hurt to be nice to customers when the pay off could be worth so much more. The fact that they were going to knowingly over charge you just makes me think worst of them.

I am happy to hear Bartaza has good customer service it makes me feel even better about getting a refurb from them.
Jenn312

Posted Tue Apr 30, 2013, 9:14am

ianpirro Said:

Seems there is some up there now, they do go quick   ->    http://www.baratza.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?search=action&category=RFRB

What is the Virtuso with Preciso burr? Would that work as well as a Preciso in a Preciso body?
ianpirro
ianpirro

Espresso: Nuova Simonelli Oscar
Grinder: Macap M4
Posted Tue Apr 30, 2013, 9:33am

The burrs would work just the same, but what you really want from the Preciso is the macro adjustments in between the large steps. The virtuoso only has those large steps without any adjustment in between them, which may leave you looking for more settings to get your extraction right. Here is a video that compares all of the Baratza grinders and will show you the difference between the models Click Here (www.seattlecoffeegear.com)
Jenn312

Posted Tue Apr 30, 2013, 9:35am

ianpirro Said:

The burrs would work just the same, but what you really want from the Preciso is the macro adjustments in between the large steps. The virtuoso only has those large steps without any adjustment in between them, which may leave you looking for more settings to get your extraction right. Here is a video that compares all of the Baratza grinders and will show you the difference between the models Click Here (www.seattlecoffeegear.com)

Thanks, I will get the regular Preciso.
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Tue Apr 30, 2013, 9:45am

Get the very best grinder you can.  The grinder affects the cup most and if you pick well it will last through machine upgrading.  People say you can take a cheap starter machine and a great grinder and make good espresso, but a bad grinder and a $3,000 machine will not make good espresso.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
Iluvdabean
Iluvdabean
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra/Gaggia...
Grinder: Baratza Preciso/K-A Pro...
Drip: Bonavita BV 1800 TH
Roaster: Nesco 1010/Behmor 1600
Posted Tue Apr 30, 2013, 10:47am

Congradulations..I used mine almost everyday for five years and now its with my daughter and son-in-law in Virginia.
You will be happy. They are workers and cycle quickley.

Jenn312 Said:

So I am taking the plunge on a Gaggia classic today because its on sale for $350. Yes I plan on getting a grinder now also.

My question is what kind of a tamper do I need, also do I need to buy a knock box now also. It's hurts to spend so much money in one shot, so I am looking for items I can wait to buy in a month or two. Are there any other accessories I will need in the future.

Finally are there any good bean distributors online or do I have to buy locally?

View Profile Contact via ICQ Link to this post
Burner0000

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia, VFA Expres...
Grinder: Macap MX/VFA N1464/Kyocera...
Drip: Manual Drip, French Press
Roaster: Behmor 1600 / Sonofresco
Posted Tue Apr 30, 2013, 12:23pm

Rattleware accessories are durable and cheap.  I love their tampers! SGC uses a lot of their stuff in their videos.
 View Profile Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
Redial

Posted Thu May 2, 2013, 6:50am

just wanted to drop a note on a knockbox i like. YMMV

from Dreamfarm. They recycle everything. Tag is a bookmark, the chain it comes on is a keychain, and when you buy a dreamfarm product they plant a tree!

Click Here (www.casa.com)

cheapest i could find at 20 bucks. comes in colors to match the kitchen
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Dumb Questions...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.424319028854)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+