Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Super-automatic machine (buying advice)
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Super-automatic...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
Ameliej

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Sun Apr 28, 2013, 4:05pm
Subject: Super-automatic machine (buying advice)

Hello,

Before anything, I'm not the one looking to buy a SA. My father came to me to get advices for a purchase, but i'm at lost, 'cause I own a manual machine...i surely tried to discourage him from buying a sa, but did not succeed...a manual machine is not an option. Anything that ask to use a portafilter or froth milk is over the effort he want to out in getting a good coffee....

I browsed the forum to get buying advices in this particular category, but nothing useful came up...

He wants...
A super-automatic...no grinder included (?)
Plumbed ( again, dont't ask...)
Low maintenance
Budget is not an object

And hoping to get coffee as good as with my lelit PL4TEM/PL053 grinder...

Anybody has a recommendation for me except discouraging him in his shopping or suggesting a pod machine since either SA and pod machine don't offer quality coffee...
 View Profile Link to this post
scanfield

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: La Nuovo Era Cuadra
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Sun Apr 28, 2013, 6:13pm
Subject: Re: Super-automatic machine (buying advice)

I would call a couple of reputable vendors and see what they recommend.

A coworker of mine bought a Saeco Xelsis. If I recall it was around $3000 and he's been very happy with it. I've had a latte from it and it was actually very, very good.

As far as low maintenance goes, that's a tough one. All machines have maintenance involved and it's pretty much the same from machine to machine.
CHenry

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Olympia Express Maximatic
Grinder: Mazzer Mini Electronic Type...
Vac Pot: none
Drip: Technivorm
Roaster: none
Posted Sun Apr 28, 2013, 6:47pm

Look at the Nuova Simonelli Microbar.
qualin
qualin

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto 3
Grinder: Mazzer Mini Elect. Type A
Vac Pot: Looking to buy
Drip: Manual
Roaster: Considering?
Posted Mon Apr 29, 2013, 1:54am

]You know, these kinds of posts irk me a little.. Here's why.. Show your father this video:

http://youtu.be/mnmmEZ-hMa4

If two five year olds can make espresso, your father can too. (Unless maybe he has bad arthritis or something.)

If he wants to spend $3k-$7k on a Super-auto, have at 'er, but any semi-auto will make better coffee IMO.

At my workplace, they rent a $15k super-auto. My Duetto at home makes better coffee. I'm not kidding either.
The "Double espresso" it makes tastes like moka pot coffee and the cappuccinos it makes taste like cheap
coffee flavored candy.

I admit, I'm spoiled now and I'm being snobby.. but if I had to even think about a super-automatic, what about
a Quickmill Monza Deluxe? At least it has a metal carrier for the brewing mechanism.
Click Here (www.seattlecoffeegear.com)

I can't say I can personally recommend it, but it would be cheaper than the Microbar and Xelsis.

I admit I'm a little confused about the "No Grinder" part though. All Super-Autos have a grinder. If he doesn't want a grinder,
then the only options are a full-auto or a semi-auto pod capable machine. (Think Rancilio Epoca with Pressurized Pod Portafilter.)

Garbage In, Garbage Out, for every step of the process. From Beans to grinder, grounds to machine, coffee to cup.
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
MerleApAmber

Espresso: Breville BES900
Grinder: Baratza Preciso + Esatto
Vac Pot: Yuma
Drip: bah-humbug
Roaster: Hot Top 2K P
Posted Mon Apr 29, 2013, 9:39am

qualin Said:

You know, these kinds of posts irk me a little.. Here's why.. Show your father this video:

http://youtu.be/mnmmEZ-hMa4

If two five year olds can make espresso, your father can too. )

Posted April 29, 2013 link

- Bud,
THAT was brilliant.  Kudos to Clive Coffee and thank you for sharing.  I had to "Like" that immedately, +1'd to everyone in my Google Circles...
THANK You!

Amelie Jean,
Oh dear, you have your work cut out for you.  Worst thing is, SA does NOT become easy maintenance. At least the units I've used. I took a look at the N.S. owners manual; you might want to too.  There pages 48 to 51 will show you what N.S. recommends for keeping things clean. (which really means keeping it capable of making coffees.)  Can we offer ...french press?... I know, I know... but it would hit most of his hot points.  Otherwise, we have to convince him the effort of cleaning IS part of good/possibly great coffees...
alnica

Espresso: Vivaldi II
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Porlex Mini
Drip: Hario V60
Posted Mon Apr 29, 2013, 10:46am

I have never used one, but this forum has put the fear-of-super-autos in me.

If the quality of the coffee that comes out of a 15 grand super-auto really is no better than a moka pot, then what about suggesting to your father that he save some $$ and buy a few moka pots instead (stove-top or electric). If he doesn't like the idea of the preparation and cleaning involved here, maybe employing a moka-pot-cleaner could do the trick?

If money really were no object, what about getting a non-super-auto and employing someone five years and up to use it?

If quality of coffee is really not an object, and only convenience, I suppose going for any machine that includes a reasonable service package would suffice. As someone already suggested, local vendors could provide info here.

Al
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Mon Apr 29, 2013, 11:38am

Ameliej Said:

And hoping to get coffee as good as with my lelit PL4TEM/PL053 grinder...

Posted April 28, 2013 link

Even a lower end semi setup like yours will outperform a superauto, not in speed and convenience, but by far in taste lol. Main problem with a superauto is the grinders even in high end units are wishy washy and low end ones are completely incapable of grinding for espresso, the machine tamping isn't good, temp's aren't even within range or stability except on expensive units like the Monza, the ones under a grand are basically junk. Reason why an espresso shot out of a superauto even with fresh beans extracts in like 15 seconds and taste like watered down sour coffee. You can't even open one up and work on them really since their so proprietary if something were to go wrong, which isn't an unheard of thing with superautos lol.

Does he just want espresso (or latte's)? Or just coffee in general, if just coffee he'd pry be happy with something like that Breville Youbrew (drip machine w/ built in grinder), neighbor has one and it makes a great cup, couldn't really tell a difference between it and a Technovorm.
qualin
qualin

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto 3
Grinder: Mazzer Mini Elect. Type A
Vac Pot: Looking to buy
Drip: Manual
Roaster: Considering?
Posted Mon Apr 29, 2013, 8:17pm

alnica Said:

If the quality of the coffee that comes out of a 15 grand super-auto really is no better than a moka pot,

Well, again this is IMHO. This is the super-auto at work I'm talking about, so it probably isn't being maintained properly, the beans being
fed into it are probably stale as all heck and for all I know, the last time it was professionally cleaned a different president was in power.

alnica Said:

save some $$ and buy a few moka pots instead (stove-top or electric).

Well, the whole entire point of espresso is to brew coffee fast and to allow for fast cleanup too. Moka pot is neither. Moka pots demand a lot
of time and are a pain to clean, but again IMHO. They're good if you have company over though or you want to make strong coffee on the cheap.
I have a Moka pot which I keep in the kitchen in case I want to go camping or I'm visiting a friends place.

Personally, I like how repairable semi-autos and autos are. Especially E61 group machines.

Garbage In, Garbage Out, for every step of the process. From Beans to grinder, grounds to machine, coffee to cup.
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
SStones
SStones
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Giga 5, ECM Giotto, Rocket...
Grinder: Anfim Milano-Best
Vac Pot: No  :(
Drip: Some $30 thing from Walmart
Roaster: I buy pre-roasted.
Posted Tue Apr 30, 2013, 5:00am

Al super autos have their own idea of being "Loe Maintenance", whether that's a removable brew unit that you rinse in the sink or a cleaning cycle that you let the machine run on itself every couple hundred cups.  If money is seriously less important than the lack of maintenance, he should contact a coffee distributor that will give him the machine and look after it so long as he consumes as much coffee as a small office.
Alternatively, he could buy used and trade it in every few months to avoid maintenance, or hire a guy to maintain it for him.  I have to assume his car gets maintained even if he doesn't do it.
rettaps

Espresso: 2011 V3 Vibiemme DB Super...
Grinder: Compak K10 Fresh, Versalab...
Vac Pot: Cona,
Drip: Techniworm, 6 cup Chemex
Roaster: San Franciscan
Posted Tue Apr 30, 2013, 7:31pm

to be honest, i wouldn't buy a super automatic, but i can relate to dad wanting one,
i would buy this for him... Click Here (www.ebay.com)
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Super-automatic...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Gourmet Organic Coffee
Temblor is a smooth high-grown Guatemalan coffee that presents notes of spice and chocolate.
thelostgringo.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.432013988495)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+