Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
McDonald's makes better Mochas than I do
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > McDonald's makes...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 12 of 12 first page previous page
Author Messages
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Sat Apr 20, 2013, 8:46am
Subject: Re: McDonald's makes better Mochas than I do

I think he can, I think he needs to start with strong coffee instead of espresso.  I used cold brew to make the coffee milk "shakes" when I first started and they were good.

I think the next test is the two cup McD test I suggested.  Then hit a well respected espresso shop and try a straight espresso and compare that to home.  I went to ristretto roasters in portland and was able to drink that shot with no milk or sugar which is rare for me. That should answer the basic question.  I bet there is at least one good one in Dallas.

He seems like he is doing everything correctly at home to make espresso. My money is on he doesn't like espresso.  There is nothing wrong with that, just like some people not liking tequila.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
cuznvin

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: MACAP M4 Stepless /Baratza...
Drip: YouBrew
Posted Sun Apr 28, 2013, 6:51am

Try this place...

http://www.montblancgourmet.com/gooddrinks-products-page
 View Profile Link to this post
DeanOK
DeanOK

Espresso: QM Vetrano 2B
Grinder: Vario W
Posted Sun Apr 28, 2013, 7:43am

cuznvin Said:

Try this place...

http://www.montblancgourmet.com/gooddrinks-products-page

Posted April 28, 2013 link

Their recipes use about twice as much chocolate and syrup than I do.

'Ya know, it would be easy to make a good quality home made caramel sauce, but the reason I don't do it is because I don't know how to preserve it so it will last a while. If you have ever eaten homemade caramel that was made with whole cream, you know what I am saying.

I am still struggling to have a good cup of espresso. I think one big clue is that the drink does not have the nice coffee aroma after it is made. When I buy espresso at McDonald's, even the empty cup has a wonderful coffee aroma where the espresso drinks I make at home do not.

I have ordered a pressure gauge to check pressure. I don't expect the pressure to be off, but for my own peace of mind, I have decided to eliminate that one concern, because I have checked everything else..... which means the problem is me. When I look at all of the online videos and read all of the web based articles about "how to make great espresso" I should be slamming it out of the part at least part of the time.
Buckley

Posted Sun Apr 28, 2013, 9:06am

DeanOK Said:

Ya know, it would be easy to make a good quality home made caramel sauce, but the reason I don't do it is because I don't know hot to preserve it so it will last a while. If you have ever eaten homemade caramel that was made with whole cream, you know what I am saying.

I know exactly what you are saying, having made James Beard's caramel sauce for many years.  What I do not understand, and I am not trying to be challenging, is why you think storing the caramel sauce is a problem.  It keeps well in a covered glass jar in the refrigerator for as long as one's self-control can draw out finishing off the whole batch on everything from ice cream to coffee drinks to breakfast cereal.  It lasts weeks at the very least.

Buckley
Jmanespresso
Jmanespresso
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Alex Duetto II
Grinder: Compak K10 - Vario
Vac Pot: Yama-SY5/SY8/TCA5
Drip: V60, Beehouse, CCD
Roaster: Hottop B
Posted Sun Apr 28, 2013, 9:14am

DeanOK Said:

I am still struggling to have a good cup of espresso. I think one big clue is that the drink does not have the nice coffee aroma after it is made. When I buy espresso at McDonald's, even the empty cup has a wonderful coffee aroma where the espresso drinks I make at home do not.

I had typed out a whole little story to describe my experience, but then I figured it would be boring and I wouldnt get my point across.

Hypothesis:
-You used to use Stale Coffee and a Steam Powered maker which on its best day, gives a halfassed espresso-like liquid
-McDs uses stale, overroasted coffee, which they then put through a superauto which gives a halfassed espresso-ish cup.

You know use Fresh Roasted Coffee, a very capable machine, and a grinder which produces a cup of coffee, all things being equal, similar to that of a Mazzer Super Jolly.

One of these things is not like the other.

Personally, IVe experienced the aroma thing you describe.  Ive been drinking coffee since I was a little kid.  The smell of percolated coffee being brewed was how I woke up, every single day, until I introduced the french press.

And with fresh roasted coffee, brewed in any method you like, I notice two things.  The ground coffee SMELLS so fantastic.  The Resulting brew TASTES even more fantastic.     There is NO AROMA that reminds me, even slightly, of that old school "freshly brewed coffee" from my childhood.  Instead, it smells like whatever it should smell like.  If its a brazil or sumatra, it smells cocoa-y and earthy.  If its a central or an African it smells fruity.  etc etc.

It wasn't until about 2-3 months after I got into FRESH coffee, that I noticed that.  I was given a bag of very very old, very overroasted coffee as a gift..  And though today I'd just toss it and say thanks, back then, I decided to try it at least..   And while it TASTED terrible, the aroma INSTANTLY filled the house with the same aroma I remember from being a child.

IDK why you like the TASTE of stale coffee covered in sugary syrup MORE then the taste of fresh coffee covered in sugary syrup, BUT, that is your right.  If at the end of the day, thats what you like, then call it a day and enjoy.  Life is too short.

I would suggest sticking with it though.
-Try some dark espresso blends.  Still fresh roasted artisan coffee, but the darker blends out there.  Try, from Atomic Cafe, the Intensi Espresso/  I haven't had it, but its supposed to be on the dark side.   Also, Gimme! Coffee, makes a French Roast Espresso blend, which my best friend really likes.(I got him into fresh coffee, which he DOES appreciate, but unless Im pushing the issue, he buys the oiliest french roasts he can.  Idk why.  The one from Gimme! isn't hardcore or burnt, but its definitely a french roast.  Try that for espresso drinks.

Follow Your Bliss

Coffee makes your constantly overcome your prejudices and re-evaluate your own "received wisdoms" when it comes to judging cup flavors. -Tom Owen, SweetMarias
 View Profile Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
DeanOK
DeanOK

Posted Sun Apr 28, 2013, 9:49am

Buckley Said:

I know exactly  What I do not understand, and I am not trying to be challenging, is why you think storing the caramel sauce is a problem.  It keeps well in a covered glass jar in the refrigerator for as long as one's self-control can draw out finishing off the whole batch on everything from ice cream to coffee drinks to breakfast cereal.  It lasts weeks at the very least.

Buckley

The accurate answer for me is I just didn't know how long a product like this can be stored when it is home made without any added preservatives. Since I don't want to make anyone sick (including me), I didn't want to bother making it if I had to use what I made within a few days. Sugar syrup and dairy products seems like they would make a great breeding place for those nasty little bugs and plants that can thrive in food products. I preferred to err on the side of caution.
cuznvin

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: MACAP M4 Stepless /Baratza...
Drip: YouBrew
Posted Sun Apr 28, 2013, 9:57am

DeanOK Said:

The accurate answer for me is I just didn't know how long a product like this can be stored when it is home made without any added preservatives. Since I don't want to make anyone sick (including me), I didn't want to bother making it if I had to use what I made within a few days. Sugar syrup and dairy products seems like they would make a great breeding place for those nasty little bugs and plants that can thrive in food products. I preferred to err on the side of caution.

http://www.chefdoughty.com/blog/?p=489
DeanOK
DeanOK

Posted Sun Apr 28, 2013, 10:06am

Jmanespresso Said:

I had typed out a whole little story to describe my experience, but then I figured it would be boring and I wouldnt get my point across.

I understand the point your trying to get across, but I can't help but think the issue is something else.  I have let others that like coffee, but not necessarily espresso drinkers, try my best attempts and they were not impressed. For example, my dad loves fresh brewed coffee and openly offers his critique of every cup he drinks. He drinks brewed coffee with a little sugar and a little cream. I have made him everything from a plain latte to flavored mocha's and he doesn't think much of them. But I realize, there is a lot of reasons he may not prefer that.

There is one real "coffee shop" in the small town I live in. The do serve relatively freshly roasted coffee (probably from 1 to 5 weeks old) and I have gone there and had them make me a flavored mocha. I couldn't taste anything except milk and chocolate with very little coffee flavor. For my taste, the MCD's was much better.

I don't have a single friend that drinks espresso at home and most of the people that I know that do drink them are perfectly happy with the drinks they get from MCD's and Starbucks (yes, we have a Starbucks too). I have tried my drinks on them and they are not impressed either.

When I get to the end of the rope, I have to think if there is nothing wrong with the machine, it has to be me, but I can't figure out where I am getting off track.
fredk01

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Saeco Aroma
Grinder: OE Pharos
Posted Sun Apr 28, 2013, 10:22am

Dean.  Sugar is a very good preservative.  Think jam.  If you vacuum seal it, it will last years unrefrigerated.

Your syrup will last at least a month in the fridge unsealed if not more.  If you seal it the way you would home made jam, it will last a very. very long time.
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Sun Apr 28, 2013, 7:52pm

My family and best friend are long time strong coffee drinkers and they hate espresso.  I never drank coffee growing up.  I started with frapps and then went to espresso.  I can't get most of them to even try it.

My best friend is a coffee freak and she thinks I am silly for doing all this work.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
showing page 12 of 12 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > McDonald's makes...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.498309850693)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+