Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
A few questions to point me in the right direction (Purchasing a machine)
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > A few questions...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
Author Messages
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Sun Apr 28, 2013, 9:44pm
Subject: Re: A few questions to point me in the right direction (Purchasing a machine)

I am not bashing the machine or trying to pick a fight. I stand by my concisely stated reasons and rationale for not personally recommending the BDB and I will not drawn into a debate this machine, it has been covered ad nauseum by many other threads.  

If the original poster is interested I suggest he Google them.  The search function here is very hit or miss.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
donner

Posted Sun Apr 28, 2013, 10:21pm
Subject: Re: A few questions to point me in the right direction (Purchasing a machine)

Coffeenoobie Said:

I am not bashing the machine or trying to pick a fight.

Posted April 28, 2013 link

If your comments are not bashing, then I don't know what bashing is.  No one has said anything negative about your choices, but you have said plenty about a machine that you clearly know little about.
 View Profile Link to this post
Bgranger

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Sun Apr 28, 2013, 11:28pm

Iluvdabean - I've drank espresso only on occasion for many years and in many parts of the world.  I've always enjoyed it as much or more than coffee but have generally had more access to coffee at work, etc.  I never really got into local coffee shops just because sitting at the shop isn't really my thing or never really appealed to me.  If I get coffee out somewhere I'll take it to go from mediocre coffee places in the buildings I work in or starbucks.  I've only recently tried it at McDonalds just to check that off the list and to see what a superautomatic is capable of.  Once I realized home espresso is possible I decided to purchase a machine so I can make drinks on weekdays in the morning before work as well as in the afternoon or evening, and to enjoy on the weekends all morning or whenever I have guests over.
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Mon Apr 29, 2013, 11:33am

donner Said:

200 degrees is 200 degrees.

Posted April 28, 2013 link

...until it makes contact with something that is not 200 degrees.  That's what thermal mass and stability addresses.

Maybe the three heating elements of the BDB address this and take care of it adequately?  Not something I know about...but it's worth looking into if for anyone in the market for a machine who's considering the BDB.  

Why would the machine shut off and prevent you from pulling shots when the temp drops a couple of degrees?  This seems like a great opportunity to compare two shots of a coffee side by side at slightly different temperatures.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
donner

Posted Mon Apr 29, 2013, 3:15pm

emradguy Said:

...until it makes contact with something that is not 200 degrees.  That's what thermal mass and stability addresses.

Maybe the three heating elements of the BDB address this and take care of it adequately?  Not something I know about...but it's worth looking into if for anyone in the market for a machine who's considering the BDB.  

Why would the machine shut off and prevent you from pulling shots when the temp drops a couple of degrees?  This seems like a great opportunity to compare two shots of a coffee side by side at slightly different temperatures.

Posted April 29, 2013 link

The thermal stability seems to be very good with this machine.  Thermal mass?  Compared to what?  It does have two boilers filled with water, and it has a solid, heavy group head.  The third heating element at the group head adds additional temperature control and predictability to go along with the PID control systems.  The three heating elements appear well matched to the other characteristics of the machine.

The only time one has to wait (it really is only a few seconds) is after pulling several cups of hot water out of the brew boiler for americanos, or tea, etc.  One can probably pull espresso shots all day long without having to wait.  Waiting those few seconds after dispensing hot water allows the systems to again reach the preset temperatures is to optimize the quality of the next espresso shot.  One can easily adjust the brew temperature up or down to suit one's taste if one wants to experiment with different temperature shots.

I may be starting to sound like a Breville salesperson - maybe they will decide to hire me ;)  Seriously, I was just pleased to find the BDB - the BDB's features combined with the relatively low price made the buying decision easy.
Bgranger

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Mon Apr 29, 2013, 3:36pm

So, Mr. Breville salesman, care to sell me on the dual boiler vs an equivalently priced E61?
donner

Posted Mon Apr 29, 2013, 4:05pm

Bgranger Said:

So, Mr. Breville salesman, care to sell me on the dual boiler vs an equivalently priced E61?

I don't know of an equivalently priced E61, although there may be some.  New BDBs have been selling for less than $1000, even as low as $700.  I noticed one or two new ones on Kijiji Montreal for $900 the other day.

Before buying the BDB, I had ordered a Vibiemme double boiler.  I was disappointed when the seller repeatedly missed the ship date, which led to a loss of confidence in the dealer and cancellation of the order.  It would have looked nice on the counter.  While I was considering a number of other more expensive machines, I came across the BDB.  A little quick research showed that there are lots of happy owners out there.
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Posted Mon Apr 29, 2013, 5:41pm

If I won the lotto I would get a lever machine Londinium ($2-3k) that needs almost no maintenance, it is way out of OP stated budget (and mine) but it is pure simple machine that people are replacing $6k machines (G/S 3) with:

http://londiniumespresso.com/collections/espresso-equipment

Less electronics and more thermal mass and very few moving parts for very old school espresso that old G/S 3 owners are raving about.

Coffeenoobie

strawberrykoi
strawberrykoi
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto 3,...
Grinder: baratza vario, Hario...
Drip: chemex
Roaster: whirly pop
Posted Mon Apr 29, 2013, 7:28pm

Coffeenoobie Said:

If I won the lotto I would get a lever machine Londinium ($2-3k) that needs almost no maintenance, it is way out of OP stated budget (and mine) but it is pure simple machine that people are replacing $6k machines (G/S 3) with:

http://londiniumespresso.com/collections/espresso-equipment

Less electronics and more thermal mass and very few moving parts for very old school espresso that old G/S 3 owners are raving about.

Is this machine even available? Where do you go to purchase it... I don't see any options for purchasing on the site :/
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Posted Mon Apr 29, 2013, 7:32pm

yes one got to FL in 24 hours just the other day. You just click the name, it is not clear it is a link.  I played with it just a few months ago.  It is really amazing.

http://londiniumespresso.com/products/londinium-i

Coffeenoobie

showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > A few questions...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.468436002731)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+