Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Breville Dual Boiler BES900XL Owners Thread
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville Dual...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 246 of 256 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
yaacov

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Wed Oct 9, 2013, 6:04am
Subject: Re: Breville Dual Boiler BES900XL Owners Thread

slight update.  replacement machine from breville consistently pulling shots at 10.5 bars. plugged in the old machine (haven't sent back yet) and same dose, tamp, coffee, etc., pulling at just under 9.5 bars.

so i assume that the new machine needs to be adjusted down. breville is saying that it's okay as is and within spec.
 View Profile Link to this post
carz07
carz07
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Breville Dual Boiler
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Bodum Bistro,...
Drip: V60, Phin, Bonmac, Ame. Drip
Posted Wed Oct 9, 2013, 6:29am

yaacov Said:

slight update.  replacement machine from breville consistently pulling shots at 10.5 bars. plugged in the old machine (haven't sent back yet) and same dose, tamp, coffee, etc., pulling at just under 9.5 bars.

so i assume that the new machine needs to be adjusted down. breville is saying that it's okay as is and within spec.

Posted October 9, 2013 link

what the taste difference?

Travel the world with a cup of coffee
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
yaacov

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Wed Oct 9, 2013, 6:36am

carz07 Said:

what the taste difference?

new machine all shots are sour. old machine, perfect.
Metatron

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: BDB900
Grinder: Vario
Posted Wed Oct 9, 2013, 9:12am

yaacov Said:

Maybe your temperature reading is a bit out. Try adjusting the temp to 2 deg higher or lower. Does that get rid of the sour taste? If memory serves, higher temps reduce sour effects.
carz07
carz07

Espresso: Breville Dual Boiler
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Bodum Bistro,...
Drip: V60, Phin, Bonmac, Ame. Drip
Posted Wed Oct 9, 2013, 9:13am

yaacov Said:

i suggest you have to tweak to to 9or9.5, 10+ is too much
if the tech says that is ok then you adjust tamp, and grind but you dont wanna do that, you dont want to alter "standards" just to cater something off right.

Travel the world with a cup of coffee
LJSquishy

Espresso: Breville Dual Boiler...
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Tue Oct 15, 2013, 10:01pm

I wanted to give an update on the BDB I purchased on Overstock. It is indeed the newer model, /B. It has the portafilter without the plastic piece in it and the stainless pitcher is 16oz. The drip tray is double-lipped (or spouted or whatever you might call it). I got it all prepped tonight so I can actually use it tomorrow. :)
LJSquishy

Espresso: Breville Dual Boiler...
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Wed Oct 16, 2013, 12:19pm

I'm totally failing at pulling shots on my new BDB! I guess I didn't think it would be that difficult. Right now I have my Vario at 2 Macro, and I think around M micro. I tried J but it seemed to be choking the machine. I did not do the full calibration with the tool because it seemed to sound correct right out of the box, but maybe I should calibrate it??

I think I'm terrible at tamping or something. Right now I just have the tamper it came with to use. I don't have a scale to measure my tamp weight (food scale doesn't go up high enough, and bathroom scale won't register that low) so I just have to guess how much pressure I'm applying. I'm using Doma coffee (locally roasted) Ruby's blend. I did manage to get a double shot extracted in about 27 seconds (from first drip) but it didn't have much crema and seemed almost a little watery.

I'm finding it difficult so far because I don't know anyone who is dialed in to the espresso world, and I myself have never tasted straight espresso so I don't know what is bitter, sour, etc. I think my shots are sour but I can't say for sure. I'm going to keep playing with it of course.
Rahndci
Rahndci

Espresso: CC1
Grinder: Presico
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: Technivorm
Roaster: Poppery ll
Posted Fri Oct 18, 2013, 5:29pm

Hello - I've been considering getting a BDB - in the Amazon reviews, someone recommends releasing the steam
pressure after turn off to save seals on the steam boiler
I've searched and can't find any reference to doing this on any machine, let alone a BDB
Is this a bunch of hooey? Or are there advantages?
Thanks - Ron
PrescottCR
PrescottCR
Expertise: Pro Roaster

Espresso: Breville
Grinder: Baratza
Roaster: Diedrich
Posted Sat Oct 19, 2013, 10:41am
Subject: The perfect shot...

If you're not used to drinking espresso then you are starting from a blank slate. Which is fine.

First- don't get hung up on the settings on your Vario (good pick BTW), that setting on an identical Vario would not produce the same grind. The thing to realize is grind finer for longer shots, grind larger for shorter shots. That's assuming you're keeping the dose the same, which is where a small scale that does .1gm measurements is really handy. So if you get the volume you want in a shot but it's too fast then you need to tighten the grind. If it takes too long to get your correct volume, then loosen the grind. Adjust the grinder while it's running and throw away the coffee it spits out during the adjustment. It'll drive you nuts. Keep in mind all grinders have some ground coffee in them after you shut them off. So if it's been a while, purge the grinder for a few seconds by letting it run without collecting the coffee. Baratza's have very little ground coffee left in them after you stop grinding, only a few grams so a few seconds should be fine.

A small scale like that can help you by weighing your dose and then you can weigh your shots as they form. Doing this removes a lot of variables.

Tamp pressure- As long as you're doing around 30-40# you should be fine. Consistency is more important than the actual number if you're in the ballpark. So tamp the same every time. If you can measure it with a scale or calibrated tamp, great. Since you can't then just go through the motions the same every time.

Dose- Without a scale you can rely on the Breville supplied tamp. When it changes from gray to black, that's your guide. After you tamp that line should be at the top of your basket's rim. If you underdose you'll hit the basket and get a bad tamp. Overdose (where the tamp sits too high on the puck) and your puck will hit the screen when you put it in the group head. This will disrupt the puck and cause channels at the least, at worst it could prevent the portafilter from securing properly and have it pop off.

Consider trying americanos first, before jumping into shots. Have a mug with 8-10oz of hot water waiting. After you get a double shot that takes about 30-35 seconds on the shot clock pour it into the mug (or you can just collect the shot in the mug if you like). Sip and enjoy.

I know the Breville has buttons for 1 and 2 shots, but again- using a scale and the manual button is always better. I don't trust auto buttons as there are too many variables. For a normal shot (normale) an 18gm dose will produce a 36gm shot. If I stop it at ~30gm on the scale the rest drips in and it usually is very close. A ristretto is generally considered 1:1 dose to shot weight. These are guidelines, you may prefer longer or shorter shots. If you get a lot of blonding, stop it earlier.

Since you don't have a scale, once you start getting shots with good crema stop them as the crema approaches the 60ml or 2oz mark.

I can't speak to the 'little crema' problem, when were the beans roasted? Maybe your preset volume is pretty high, that would give watery, little crema shots in ~30 seconds.

Ron- I hadn't heard that advise, but why not? Sounds like a good theory anyway. I suspect the problem that is meant to solve has been fixed by Breville a while ago.
patou

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Tue Nov 12, 2013, 10:26am
Subject: Re: The perfect shot...

I've been going through many pages of this BDB thread and will continue to read it in the coming days. I made my first post recently to help me with my next machine. I am considering Nuovo's Oscar, which gives a very good shot that I tasted. The other machine that I am hesitant about is the Breville double boiler (900xl). My main concern is expressed at the beginning of this thread by some members, and I am also concerned with the quality and service from Breville. I have been told that the Oscar is made in Italy with people only making espresso machine while the BDB is made in China etc...etc.

So since this is a thread by BDB owners, I would like to know from you how long you have own it, if you are satisfied with its quality, and if you recommend it. I have read a few posts saying that the help from Breville was excellent. I had my first machine many years ago a Mokita (name correct?) and ten year ago got a Saeco Magic Cappuccino Combi which has reached the end of its life. Since tasting an espresso from the Oscar, I know what a very good espresso taste like.

I wasn't sure of being able to get the best from a machine like this, not being very knowledgeable as the experts here. But reading this thread sure is helpful and many newbies have been expressing their gratitude for that.

Thanks for sharing with me!
showing page 246 of 256 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville Dual...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.445508003235)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+