Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Water spoiling in the boiler?
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Water spoiling...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
finnisher

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Fri Apr 26, 2013, 12:32am
Subject: Water spoiling in the boiler?

My question is going to require a bit of a background story, please bear with me as I don't know how else to explain what I'm facing. :)

I'm running a Rocket Espresso Cellini Evoluzione which I plumbed in about half a year ago. At that time, I also installed a water filter and chose one that had both a carbon filter and an ion exchanger so it also decreases the hardness of the water by removing limescale.

I set up the machine and the pressure to suit the new water intake and everything ran smoothly for a couple of months. Then I started noticing that something was off in my espresso. The body was thin and shots tasted very bitter or had a lemon peel taste to them. I then started researching and found out that water that is too soft can cause symptoms like this. This seemed like a probable cause as where I live the water is very soft and I was making it even softer with the filter.

So I decided to replace the filter with one that only had a carbon filter and didn't affect the hardness of water. I changed the filter and flushed the machine to replace the old water with new. Then I pulled a shot and IT WAS AMAZING. It was the best shot that I had pulled from my machine as far as I could remember. Full-bodied and incredibly soft and smooth. I thought I had solved the problem and left it as it was.

However, the next day when I was expecting for another godshot, I was deeply disappointed. The lemon peel taste and thin body were back. I was astounded and couldn't explain what was going on. The day before it was amazing and now it was crap. I started analyzing the problem and quickly ruled out the coffee, grinder and the machine itself. The only culprits I could identify were the filter or just the water in general.

So, I changed the plumbing setup so that I could flush the filter without the water running first through the machine. This was to ensure that I'm only running the freshest water into my machine. I did this and again flushed the entire machine and then pulled a shot. The godshot was back! I ruled that the filter was the culprit and that I just had to flush it each time before pulling a shot.

A day had passed when I pulled my next shot. I flushed the filter to ensure it was using the freshest water. Grind, tamp, pull. DISAPPOINTMENT AGAIN! Thin, lemon peel... I felt hopeless as I thought I had fixed everything I could. Then it hit me. Could the water in the boiler actually spoil as it stands in there? I again ran fresh water through my machine and the taste improved considerably.

So, finally to the question. Have you noticed that after having your machine stand for a day and then pulling a shot the taste is off? I use a timer to turn my machine on an hour before I wake up in the mornings so often times my machine can just stand for hours on without being used. I think this might exaggerate the problem. Should I have my boiler checked that it is not contaminated? What could be ruining the water in my boiler?

Sorry for the long story but thanks in advance for any help!

BR,

Juho
 View Profile Link to this post
finnisher

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Fri Apr 26, 2013, 12:35am
Subject: Re: Water spoiling in the boiler?

And just for the record, everything is clean and I'm using a grouphead thermometer so it's not the temperature either..
DavecUK

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Fri Apr 26, 2013, 2:38am
Subject: Re: Water spoiling in the boiler?

Well there is a simple test you seem to have omitted.

Pull water from the group, take different batches and times, in other words do what you are doing with coffee, but with water. Then taste it, 1st when it's hot, warm, cold. Post your results, because it will be interesting to know what the water tastes like when it's producing those "sour" shots..

You also provide lots of narrative, but there is a lot of "information" missing that could be contributing to the problem. e.g. flushing routine, shot routine etc..because it's quite interesting when you say left standing and I'd love to know what your grouphead thermometer says when it's been left for a day BEFORE you flush, as opposed to after a flush and left for a few minutes. Also is there ever a delay in water coming out of the group and you lifting the lever after the machine sounds.

But like I say do the water bit first...........
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Water spoiling...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.439220905304)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+