Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Breville Dual Boiler BES900XL Owners Thread
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville Dual...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 198 of 258 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
biochemgawd

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: BDB
Grinder: Vario
Posted Thu Apr 25, 2013, 12:52pm
Subject: Re: Breville Dual Boiler BES900XL Owners Thread

cuznvin Said:

May be a minor issue, but turns into a big issue if it cant be adjusted by the user.

Posted April 25, 2013 link

It took me 10 minutes to adjust mine. Anyone who can open their $2-3k machine to adjust an OPV can do it on a BDB.

It is likely the same deal with descaling, although I'll admit Breville won't be a help there.

edit: to make this post a little more helpful, here is a link to the descaling procedure, OPV adjustment and OPV replacement instructions.
Click Here (pawarren.blogspot.ca)
 View Profile Link to this post
Iluvdabean
Iluvdabean

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra/Gaggia...
Grinder: Baratza Preciso/K-A Pro...
Drip: Bonavita BV 1800 TH
Roaster: Nesco 1010/Behmor 1600
Posted Thu Apr 25, 2013, 2:51pm

It has about as many similarties to the La Caudra as an elephant has to a Rhotwhieler. I am not even sure if it has many similarties to an Italian Double Boiler??? Seriously!!!
Below is a picture of a heating element above the portafilter .Do Italian HX OR DB machines use these ??????

biochemgawd Said:

I wouldn't take a chance with one of their other models at this point. Very poor track record. The BDB is another story - well designed, excellent features and performance. Long term reliability is still an open question, but so far Breville has shown good support for the BDB.

Detractors will point out that several members are on their 2nd or 3rd machine, but this is mainly due to their aggressive return/replacement policy. Many other more expensive machines (look through the other threads here) in their first generation have had issues.

Overall, the BDB provides convenience and advanced features (pre-infusion, volumetric-ish dosing, timer, heated grouphead) in exchange for cost-cutting on the internals. A good comparison machine is the Nuova Era Cuadra, an HX machine in the same price range. It lacks some of the features but appears very well built.

Iluvdabean: DualBoilerInside-2.jpg
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Link to this post
biochemgawd

Posted Thu Apr 25, 2013, 2:54pm

Iluvdabean Said:

It has about as many similarties to the La Caudra as an elephant has to a Rhotwhieler. I am not even sure if it has many similarties to an Italian Double Boiler??? Seriously!!!

I don't know what a "La Caudra" is, nor do I know what a "Rhotwhieler" is. But I do know a trol when I see one ;-)
cuznvin

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: MACAP M4 Stepless /Baratza...
Drip: YouBrew
Posted Thu Apr 25, 2013, 2:57pm

Iluvdabean Said:

I was going to reply the same as you did but figured it wasnt worth wasting my time. From seeing the response you got, now I know I did the right thing. I wouldnt waste my time with immature people that make comments without knowing half of what they are talking about.
biochemgawd

Posted Thu Apr 25, 2013, 3:01pm

sigh. How many BDBs do each of you have?

The funny thing is that I was trying to encourage the poster to check out the options in that price range such as the Nuevo Era Cuadra.

You are trolls, plain and simple. And I am out.
Iluvdabean
Iluvdabean

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra/Gaggia...
Grinder: Baratza Preciso/K-A Pro...
Drip: Bonavita BV 1800 TH
Roaster: Nesco 1010/Behmor 1600
Posted Thu Apr 25, 2013, 3:09pm

I dont know why an honest discussion cant be had here. On one hand BDB users and even the review by Mark illustrate how many different engineering techinques Breville used in this machine. They are hailed as strong points, yet when I used the same facts to illustrate the BDB really isnt that much like an Italian DB Im called a troll. Im not hating on BDB or thier users. Its not an emotional thing I hope. For example the heating coil above the portafiler? Do other DB use that??? Please lets not resort to name calling. Maybe the rule should be unless you own a BDB you cant comment here?

biochemgawd Said:

sigh. How many BDBs do each of you have?

The funny thing is that I was trying to encourage the poster to check out the options in that price range such as the Nuevo Era Cuadra.

You are trolls, plain and simple. And I am out.

View Profile Contact via ICQ Link to this post
cuznvin

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: MACAP M4 Stepless /Baratza...
Drip: YouBrew
Posted Thu Apr 25, 2013, 3:38pm

Iluvdabean Said:

I dont know why an honest discussion cant be had here. On one hand BDB users and even the review by Mark illustrate how many different engineering techinques Breville used in this machine. They are hailed as strong points, yet when I used the same facts to illustrate the BDB really isnt that much like an Italian DB Im called a troll. Im not hating on BDB or thier users. Its not an emotional thing I hope. For example the heating coil above the portafiler? Do other DB use that??? Please lets not resort to name calling. Maybe the rule should be unless you own a BDB you cant comment here?

Seems like the word "TROLL" is part of his everyday vocabulary.
BubbaDude
BubbaDude

Espresso: Breville Dual Boiler
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: Clever Coffee Dripper
Roaster: Hottop 2KB
Posted Thu Apr 25, 2013, 4:06pm

PacoPackaPucka Said:

Did any BDB owners on this thread, seriously consider other Breville models before deciding on the BDB?
Also, is there any consensus, as to what other models from other manufacturers, are roughly comparable to the BDB?

I didn't consider any other Brevilles because I was looking for a PID'ed dual boiler and the BDB was the only one of those that Breville sold at the time I bought mine, in Jan. 2012.

As far as comparables go, there are two ways to judge: by price or by features. There's not really a close comparable by both counts because BDB is priced so much lower than the other PIDed dual boilers. For the approximate price of the BDB, other espresso machines will typically be at the low end of the HX variety, such as the Oscar, Expobar, or La Cuadra. In terms of features, the most directly comparable machine is probably the La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi for $1,995, but it's missing some features such as programmable pre-infusion and comparable temperature stability. You can spend $3000 for a PID'ed Italian dual boiler without trying too hard at all. Some people will tell you they're better, because they have larger, heavier boilers and lots of steel. Some will tell you they're easier to self-repair because they use off-the-shelf parts, and some are very keen on the use of traditional parts wherever possible. I don't have any experience with these machines so I can't comment on that.

The thing that makes the BDB stand out is the price/features ratio. Nothing compares, as far as I know.

"I've Scaced many HX/E61 machines, seeing shot variances of up to 8-10F or more. [The BDB] stays within 1F." - Mark Prince
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
donner

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Thu Apr 25, 2013, 4:11pm

The Italian machines certainly do have their appeal, and I know that many of them actually can make coffee.   Let's not forget that many of the Italian machines often do not last all that long.  The specialized shops that I am familiar with have back rooms or basements full of used, broken down, and dated looking machines that cost a lot of money not many years ago.  They can hardly give them away today.

No doubt, a number of the Italian manufacturers win when it comes to aesthetics, although those old companies also have made models that few of us would want to put on display.  Because of the risk of offending anyone, I won't mention names.

It's great that Breville is shaking up the sometimes snobbish coffee world.  Maybe the old Italian makers will respond with competitive offerings of their own.
mrpink

Posted Thu Apr 25, 2013, 4:49pm

Is there a real owner's BDB thread elsewhere that I don't know about?
showing page 198 of 258 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville Dual...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.503444910049)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+