Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Breville Dual Boiler BES900XL Owners Thread
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville Dual...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 230 of 266 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
CoffeeRon

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Wega Lyra, Europiccola(still...
Grinder: Macap M7D, Pharos, Vario W,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam CoffeeMaster
Drip: Melita BCM-4
Roaster: FR SR500,B-1600, SC/TO
Posted Fri Jul 5, 2013, 6:29pm
Subject: Re: Breville Dual Boiler BES900XL Owners Thread

Sorry to be off topic but I wanted to clarify the differences between the Varios. The metal burrs are more suited to coarser grinds, while the ceramic burrs are recommended for espresso. The Vario-W does come standard with the ceramic burrs, so it would be best suited for espresso. The steel burrs are available for either.
 View Profile Link to this post
carz07
carz07
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Breville Dual Boiler
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Bodum Bistro,...
Drip: V60, Phin, Bonmac, Ame. Drip
Posted Fri Jul 5, 2013, 6:37pm

CoffeeRon Said:

Sorry to be off topic but I wanted to clarify the differences between the Varios. The metal burrs are more suited to coarser grinds, while the ceramic burrs are recommended for espresso. The Vario-W does come standard with the ceramic burrs, so it would be best suited for espresso. The steel burrs are available for either.

Posted July 5, 2013 link

correct, the metals are for coarser grind that is why they have those on the lower ends target market are pour overs and drip and not espresso machine owners. ceramic are for espresso also because ceramic are cooler than metal so you dont introduce heat to the fine grinds.

ok off topic hahahaha hehehehe

Travel the world with a cup of coffee
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
PrescottCR
PrescottCR
Expertise: Pro Roaster

Espresso: Breville
Grinder: Baratza
Roaster: Diedrich
Posted Fri Jul 5, 2013, 6:42pm

If that Vario-W could do weight WITH a porta-filter holder, but right now those two things are mutually exclusive. If you have a Vario with ceramic burrs then you already have a great grinder, and don't sweat the added expense.

FWIW- the Preciso, with it's conical burrs has gotten very good reviews and is a little more affordable. No timer, but good grinds and you can get them refurbished at a good buy with warranty.

A good grinder will allow any machine to do it's best. A bad grinder can make a great machine look like crap.
michaelgo

Espresso: Breville 900XL
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Sun Jul 7, 2013, 10:38am

PrescottCR Said:

A good grinder will allow any machine to do it's best. A bad grinder can make a great machine look like crap.

Posted July 5, 2013 link

i'll attest to that.  I originally purchased the Breville SmartGrinder to go along with my BDB.  What I found was that I couldn't get a consistent grind, constantly tinkering and too large a step between selections.  On advise I read here and a few other places, I got the Vario.  Now I only need make minor step adjustments as the beans age and have gotten very consistent in my shots.

I too hope my BDB lasts many years but at this price point, the quality in the cup is most important and if I have to buy another in 5-7 years, I'll do it gladly.  Maybe even get one that color coordinates with my kitchen by then. LOL

Michael
TheSunInsideYou
TheSunInsideYou

Espresso: Breville BES900XL
Grinder: Laranzato HC-600, OE LIDO,...
Vac Pot: Yama 3
Drip: Hario V60, Chemex
Posted Sun Jul 7, 2013, 10:57am

michaelgo Said:

I too hope my BDB lasts many years but at this price point, the quality in the cup is most important and if I have to buy another in 5-7 years, I'll do it gladly.  Maybe even get one that color coordinates with my kitchen by then. LOL

Michael

Posted July 7, 2013 link

Couldn't agree more.

-Dave-
carz07
carz07

Grinder: Baratza Vario, Bodum Bistro,...
Drip: V60, Phin, Bonmac, Ame. Drip
Posted Sun Jul 7, 2013, 5:11pm

michaelgo Said:

Michael

Posted July 7, 2013 link

true, by 5 years, perhaps, user descale is available, im mean its on its way already. and this might be a perhaps "descale me" prompt, the computer can tell the right time to descale your machine due to accumulation. because right now they say prof descale 3 year to 5 year using the resin but then again that is considering french hardness is acceptable or your using filtered water already. so chances are 3-5 years varies.

Travel the world with a cup of coffee
occoffeefan

Grinder: Baratza Vario W, Mazzer Mini...
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Sat Jul 13, 2013, 11:48am

I recently took a class from Heather Perry at Klatch coffee.  I have the Vario W and the BDB (which I was able to bring to class)  I learned quite a bit.  Attached is a Rosetta done on the BDB  with Pacifc Soy Barista Series milk which I learned how to do in the class.

occoffeefan: Rosetta from Soy resized.jpg
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
occoffeefan

Grinder: Baratza Vario W, Mazzer Mini...
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Sat Jul 13, 2013, 6:10pm

PrescottCR Said:

If that Vario-W could do weight WITH a porta-filter holder, but right now those two things are mutually exclusive. If you have a Vario with ceramic burrs then you already have a great grinder, and don't sweat the added expense.

FWIW- the Preciso, with it's conical burrs has gotten very good reviews and is a little more affordable. No timer, but good grinds and you can get them refurbished at a good buy with warranty.

Posted July 5, 2013 link

I have a Vario W.  Remove the spring in the portafilter, use the Weiss distribution technique, put your  filter basket with the cut out yogurt cup in the Vario W. and grind your shot. Keep an eye on the vibration of the machine, the filter basket could fall off the machine. Stir the coffee with your biology probe, remove the yogurt cup tamp your shot , put the filter basket into the portafilter and pull the shot! Works great...
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
donner

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Sat Jul 13, 2013, 8:49pm

We also have the Vario-W, which is an excellent grinder.  With a bit of practice, it's very easy to dump/tap the ground coffee from the grind container to the portafilter.  The narrow design of the container aids a lot with this.  This also works a lot better if you place the portafilter on the counter so that the natural angle of the portafilter works for you than against you.  Then a little smoothing and tamping, and it's time to pull a shot.
michaelgo

Espresso: Breville 900XL
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Sun Jul 14, 2013, 7:53am

occoffeefan Said:

I recently took a class from Heather Perry at Klatch coffee.  I have the Vario W and the BDB (which I was able to bring to class)  I learned quite a bit.  Attached is a Rosetta done on the BDB  with Pacifc Soy Barista Series milk which I learned how to do in the class.

Posted July 13, 2013 link

Where did you take the class?  I know Heather well and have attended several gatherings at the roasting plant here in Rancho.  I've been thinking about taking it, just haven't had the time.  All my coffee comes from Klatch.

Michael
showing page 230 of 266 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville Dual...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.500292062759)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+