Espresso: Espresso Machines
La Nuova Era Cuadra Owners Thread
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > La Nuova Era...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 95 of 129 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
slybarman
slybarman
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Sun Apr 21, 2013, 7:20pm
Subject: Re: La Nuova Era Cuadra Owners Thread

When you descale, the solution turns blue if scale is present.  You will be able to adjust the schedule based on whether you see any or not.
 View Profile Link to this post
pfn

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra II
Grinder: KA Proline w/ Mazzer Mini...
Posted Sun Apr 21, 2013, 7:45pm

slybarman Said:

When you descale, the solution turns blue if scale is present.  You will be able to adjust the schedule based on whether you see any or not.

Posted April 21, 2013 link

"the solution" -- I assume only particular brands do this? The ascaso descaling agent I bought came from 1st-line. I assume this is the one you are talking about?
slybarman
slybarman

Posted Sun Apr 21, 2013, 8:06pm

AFAIK,  they all do.  I believe it is a reaction between the citrus and the scale, but I am using dezcal.
888RP

Espresso: Cuadra
Grinder: Vario
Posted Tue Apr 23, 2013, 9:38am

hey guys quick question: I know you are only supposed to pull 4 oz at a time from the water wand... is there any contraint for the grouphead as well? ie. are you not supposed to pull more than 4 oz at a time from the grouphead? Sometimes i pull more than 4 when i'm flushing and i'm wondering if it's better to do one long flush or if it's better for the machine if i do a few small flushes. (or if it doesn't matter at all)

Also is anyone using a VST basket with their Cuadra? I bought mine from first line and am using the standard one... am thinking of getting the VST but would love to know if anyone has tried it and seen a different in extraction quality.

Thanks!
slybarman
slybarman

Posted Tue Apr 23, 2013, 9:41am

No, the flow rate of the group head is driven by the pump and the water comes from the reservoir via the heat exchange,  not the boiler, so no problem.
888RP

Espresso: Cuadra
Grinder: Vario
Posted Tue Apr 23, 2013, 10:02am

Thanks Slybar!

One more question: the water softener that's connected to the tube inside the resevoir - can i just pull the softern to get it off the tube? I want to recharge it but i'm not sure what the correct way to get it off the tube is and how to put it back in.

Figured i'd ask before i using brute force lol
slybarman
slybarman

Posted Tue Apr 23, 2013, 10:10am

Just pull it off.
Seacoffee

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Wed Apr 24, 2013, 6:02pm

Reposting here as I posted it as a new topic by mistake:

Just got my Cuadra today and have tried my first couple of shots.

A couple of problems:
The water coming out of both steam and hot water wands has a funny smell. Almost like paint. Is this because the machine is new? I'm using fridge filtered water.
Is there anything I can do about it?

Coffee not coming out: when I pull the shot, very and I mean very little coffee comes out. Could this be because I'm using too much pressure with the tamper? I tried to reduce it and more coffee came out. So just wondering if this just about be learning how much pressure to use.
pfn

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra II
Grinder: KA Proline w/ Mazzer Mini...
Posted Wed Apr 24, 2013, 6:25pm

Seacoffee Said:

Reposting here as I posted it as a new topic by mistake:

Just got my Cuadra today and have tried my first couple of shots.

A couple of problems:
The water coming out of both steam and hot water wands has a funny smell. Almost like paint. Is this because the machine is new? I'm using fridge filtered water.
Is there anything I can do about it?

Coffee not coming out: when I pull the shot, very and I mean very little coffee comes out. Could this be because I'm using too much pressure with the tamper? I tried to reduce it and more coffee came out. So just wondering if this just about be learning how much pressure to use.

Posted April 24, 2013 link

The stink is normal, gotta flush several liters of water through the hot water wand for the smell to go away. Open up your steam wand, too.

No coffee coming out is your grind is too fine. Coarsen it up a little.

edit: don't forget to stop pulling hot water when the pump kicks on.
MDiddy

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Technika IV Profi
Grinder: Baratza Forte AP
Drip: Cuisinart DCC-1200
Posted Thu Apr 25, 2013, 6:34am

]Gents, having an issue with my Cuadra II and not sure why.

About 4 days ago, I followed Eric's post on how to check the mushroom in an e61 for scale here:

Click Here (www.home-barista.com)

Pulled everything and followed the procedure to a tee.  Didn't notice much scale, if any, at all.  Just a few tiny spots of corrosion where the chrome plating was replaced with a small green dot.  Cleaned everything off anyway and re-assembled.  Now, when I first turn the machine on each morning, the temp starts to climb to about 140 F, and then proceeds to drop.  I do a small flush (notice a second or two of no water) and then the temp starts to climb again and it reaches operating temperature no problem and stays there until I turn off the machine.  But this cycle repeats each morning.

This has been every morning now for the past 4 days.  I did a full descale yesterday to see if that would fix the issue, but no dice, same issue this morning.

Any idea what might be going on?
showing page 95 of 129 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > La Nuova Era...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.403743982315)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+