Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Need Help With Breville Barista Express Settings Please!
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Need Help With...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 6 of 7 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
jonbik

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Wed Apr 24, 2013, 4:35am
Subject: Re: Need Help With Breville Barista Express Settings Please!

guys, last night i watched this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5CoMI30vd8. This morning i followed his steps and i was able to pull a much better LOOKING shot. I hope this is due to the beans because i am getting the fair city beans today or tomorrow. The coffee flowed out slow but in a steady stream and i had about 1/4 inch of crema. It tasted somewhat burnt though. This may be from the charbucks coffee. lol. Also when the guy in the video took out the group head after brewing, his puck of coffee was dry. What does it mean if the puck is wet?
 View Profile Link to this post
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Wed Apr 24, 2013, 5:44am

jonbik Said:

guys, last night i watched this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5CoMI30vd8. This morning i followed his steps and i was able to pull a much better LOOKING shot. I hope this is due to the beans because i am getting the fair city beans today or tomorrow. The coffee flowed out slow but in a steady stream and i had about 1/4 inch of crema. It tasted somewhat burnt though. This may be from the charbucks coffee. lol. Also when the guy in the video took out the group head after brewing, his puck of coffee was dry. What does it mean if the puck is wet?

Posted April 24, 2013 link

Ouch... he had a 3 second shot lol, that had to of tasted gross. But his other video showed a more decent time for the shot.

I wouldn't pay too much attention to the puck, with the pressurized baskets it'll always generally be soupy/wet. With regular baskets that can depend on dose, i.e. around 16g in my double and the puck is wet but not soupy, 18g and it's much more dry looking and knocks out solid with little/no grinds in the basket. Long as it taste good though don't worry.

And yeh as far as taste, you'll never get good coffee out of Charbucks, what your tasting is the burnt roast as there's no coffee flavor left (they burn all their beans so all the stores have that same consistant, chewing on a bark log, taste lol). You'll see a massive difference with fresh roasted high quality beans, I too (and plenty of us on here I'm sure lol) used to us Charbucks beans when I first started. More at the whim of my fiance who at the time though it was the greatest thing ever, now she won't step foot in their stores unless it's a last resort when she's out lol.
jonbik

Posted Wed Apr 24, 2013, 8:40am

I have checked the tracking info. Both the beans and the grinder are coming today.  I will pull a shot with the built in grinder and the hairo slim. I will take videos and post them.
CMIN

Posted Wed Apr 24, 2013, 10:28am

I'd start off with the Hario around click 5 and go from there (up or down), don't start near 1st click as it really will grind beans into talcum powder lol. I.E. if 5 is too fast of a shot, dose more, or go down a click etc, and if too tight go up a click or two etc... have to play around but when you find a setting and dose that works make note of it. that way you can go back to it, especially if you take apart to clean.

You'll click the adjustment knob all the way to the right, it should get tight and not want to budge. That's 0, from there you click backwards. You can hold it in your lap and grind, or just normal, it's a fairly comfy grinder to hold. I'm sure you'll see a big difference with the Fair Mountain beans, even with the pressurized baskets.
jonbik

Posted Wed Apr 24, 2013, 5:22pm

From looking close at the built in grinder and Hario results. It seems as if the built in grinder gives a better grind. I just received the fair mountain coffee. She gave me a sample of Kenyan AA coffee so i decided to test it out. I ground it on the finest setting into a double shot unpressurized basket. I only tamped it a little bit because if you tamp hard on the finest setting, no coffee comes out. The coffee came out nice in slow and was golden brown. I had a good head of crema also. When i tasted it, it was somewhat sour and very bitter. I will post a video tomorrow. Good thing i have 3 pounds of beans... this is gonna be a long week.
CMIN

Posted Wed Apr 24, 2013, 6:18pm

Having used the Smart Grinder, the Hario Slim will actually outperform it a bit. Need to play with it to find the right click and adjust dose.

The other problem with the Breville if you still get sour or bitter notes with fresh beans, is temp. Its a thermoblock machine stuck at around 205 degrees I think, most coffees like the 200/201 degree range. If I adjust the pid from below  200 to above 205 I can totally change the taste on my CC1.
jonbik

Posted Thu Apr 25, 2013, 1:32pm

Here is a video pulling a shot with the bult in grinder
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqWKwkKRIkM

And here is one with the hario
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPb2rdcQQKs

Both shots came out fast. Both had good crema. But both were bitter and slightly sour. Right after i made these videos, i cranked the built in grinder up to setting 16 (max fine). By doing this, i was able to pull a nice 26 second shot. I never actually tasted this shot plain because i made it into a cappuccino. This was with the Mexican chiapas beans. This cappuccino was great. Best one that i have made with this machine. I don't know if it was because i changed the grind or if it was the beans. I will keep experimenting with the hario although it did take me about 5 minutes of grinding to get 15 grams. Did i do anything wrong in these videos? Any suggestions? I will try to post another video tomorrow and pull a shot like i just did.
OttoMatic

Espresso: Brewtus IV-R
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario,...
Drip: Capresso MT500+
Roaster: Cast iron dutch oven
Posted Thu Apr 25, 2013, 4:02pm

Well, you're making good progress and your process is more scientific!  Shots still look fast & watery, so continue to experiment with finer grind and/or larger dose -- both in small increments.
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Thu Apr 25, 2013, 8:55pm

Glad to see you are getting something worth drinking now.  You should only see improvement from here.  When the shot is good you get a slight bend in the stream coming from the spout, at the start it looked pretty good then very quickly it went gushy.  I expect you are getting channeling.  Too much bend and you are getting over extraction, too fast and gushing is under extracted.  Try to tamp one good time and don't spin the tamper.  Baristas often do that but it is another point of potential failure. (by breaking the seal to the edge of the basket.)  I stir my grinds before tamping to mix them up and distribute them in the basket before tamping.  I am working on handling the puck as little as possible.

Now that you are at the finest setting on the built in grinder you can see why it is not enough grinder to do the job on the unpressurized basket.  As beans age, you have to grind finer to keep the pull consistent and you are already out of room to grind any finer with only 3 or 4 day old beans.

Also weight the shot after the pull to get the brew ratio more exact than volume with crema.  Look up espresso brew ratios on home-barista.com

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
jonbik

Posted Fri Apr 26, 2013, 1:10pm

I feel like i have made a lot of progress thanks to you guys! Check out this video and tell me how i did! I still have trouble drinking the straight shot because it is very strong and slightly bitter but it is great as a cappuccino.

http://youtu.be/K6uTatBXvKs
showing page 6 of 7 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Need Help With...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.442830085754)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+