Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Breville Dual Boiler BES900XL Owners Thread
Quality Espresso Machines
Imported Italian Espresso Machines, Coffee Machines & accessories for all your coffee needs!
www.thecoffeebrewers.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville Dual...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 197 of 252 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
PacoPackaPucka

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Thu Apr 25, 2013, 11:18am
Subject: Re: Breville Dual Boiler BES900XL Owners Thread

Did any BDB owners on this thread, seriously consider other Breville models before deciding on the BDB?
Also, is there any consensus, as to what other models from other manufacturers, are roughly comparable to the BDB?

thanks,
Bill
 View Profile Link to this post
jchung
jchung
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Baby Twin, Breville...
Grinder: Baratza Encore, Breville...
Posted Thu Apr 25, 2013, 11:55am

jchung Said:

I also do like the more liberal return policy at WS and BBB. If I can get the price at either WS or BBB, I probably would have bought from them for this reason.

Posted April 24, 2013 link

*sigh* WLL updated the ETA again. Thats the 4th time its been pushed back. Time to go to BBB tomorrow and see if I can get the 20% off. Will let you all know if I'm successful.
biochemgawd

Espresso: BDB
Grinder: Vario
Posted Thu Apr 25, 2013, 12:02pm

PacoPackaPucka Said:

Did any BDB owners on this thread, seriously consider other Breville models before deciding on the BDB?
Also, is there any consensus, as to what other models from other manufacturers, are roughly comparable to the BDB?

thanks,
Bill

Posted April 25, 2013 link

I wouldn't take a chance with one of their other models at this point. Very poor track record. The BDB is another story - well designed, excellent features and performance. Long term reliability is still an open question, but so far Breville has shown good support for the BDB.

Detractors will point out that several members are on their 2nd or 3rd machine, but this is mainly due to their aggressive return/replacement policy. Many other more expensive machines (look through the other threads here) in their first generation have had issues.

Overall, the BDB provides convenience and advanced features (pre-infusion, volumetric-ish dosing, timer, heated grouphead) in exchange for cost-cutting on the internals. A good comparison machine is the Nuova Era Cuadra, an HX machine in the same price range. It lacks some of the features but appears very well built.
donner

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Thu Apr 25, 2013, 12:13pm

PacoPackaPucka Said:

thanks,
Bill

I bought the BDB because it has two boilers and the PID control system.  The other Breville models don't have the double boilers - not sure about the PID control.  Those features were important to me.  With three heating elements and two boilers, the machine is quick to warm up (ten minutes or less from cold) and has great steaming power.  Maybe I'm missing something, but it seems fine to me.  

Before buying the BDB I had ordered a Vibiemme double boiler but cancelled the order after losing confidence in the dealer when they repeatedly missed shipping dates.  One weird thing about the Vibiemme is the two gauges mounted on the machine.  They have ranges marked on them, but the manufacturer's instructions say to ignore the range markings.  Apparently Vibiemme uses gauges meant for some other application on their machines.  One would think that, for $3000, they could at least put the correct faces on the gauges??  The BDB may not be as exotic looking as the Vibiemme, but it costs about a third as much, and it makes a great cup of coffee.
cuznvin

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: MACAP M4 Stepless /Baratza...
Drip: YouBrew
Posted Thu Apr 25, 2013, 12:34pm

biochemgawd Said:

I wouldn't take a chance with one of their other models at this point. Very poor track record. The BDB is another story - well designed, excellent features and performance. Long term reliability is still an open question, but so far Breville has shown good support for the BDB.

Detractors will point out that several members are on their 2nd or 3rd machine, but this is mainly due to their aggressive return/replacement policy. Many other more expensive machines (look through the other threads here) in their first generation have had issues.

Overall, the BDB provides convenience and advanced features (pre-infusion, volumetric-ish dosing, timer, heated grouphead) in exchange for cost-cutting on the internals. A good comparison machine is the Nuova Era Cuadra, an HX machine in the same price range. It lacks some of the features but appears very well built.

People are on their second and third machines because there were problems with their machines. not Brevilles aggressive return/replacement policy
biochemgawd

Espresso: BDB
Grinder: Vario
Posted Thu Apr 25, 2013, 12:41pm

cuznvin Said:

People are on their second and third machines because there were problems with their machines. not Brevilles aggressive return/replacement policy

This is true. But my point is if they had spent 2.5x as much on an R58 DB they would still be on their first machine and probably still having problems.

This is a generalization, but you can't fault Breville for cross-shipping their customers new machines after minor issues (such as OPV set too high).
BubbaDude
BubbaDude

Espresso: Breville Dual Boiler
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: Clever Coffee Dripper
Roaster: Hottop 2KB
Posted Thu Apr 25, 2013, 12:42pm

cuznvin Said:

Without the return/replacement policy, I would have had my first machine repaired when it went wonky after 13 months. I much prefer having a replacement machine with the latest parts and firmware.

"I've Scaced many HX/E61 machines, seeing shot variances of up to 8-10F or more. [The BDB] stays within 1F." - Mark Prince
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
dagoat

Espresso: La Pavoni Europiccola, BDB...
Grinder: baratza vario
Vac Pot: aeropress
Drip: manual
Roaster: cafe rosto
Posted Thu Apr 25, 2013, 12:47pm

PacoPackaPucka Said:

thanks,
Bill

consensus? reading this thread have you been able to detect one yet?  i haven't.  to your question though:  taking all visceral and aesthetic angles out of it, i doubt anybody short of a world class taster/evaluator could tell the difference between a shot pulled on a BDB and a shot pulled on a $6500-up, saturated-group-type machine.  that's the bare naked, clinical part.  but from my observation, espresso is a VERY visceral and aesthetic pursuit. taking emotion out of it is basically not possible.  Look how much money people spend on expensive custom tropical hardwood handles for their portafilters and tampers.  compared to the $2500-class machines like the Izzo Alex Duetto 3, (also a dual boiler PID machine), the BDB will feel flimsy and cheap.  and guess what?  in comparison, it is.  and some people will never be able to get over that fact, even if the BDB is technically superior (because if it's superior inter and intra-shot temperature control and repeatability).   We already have people playing in this thread who value the superior aesthetics and quality solid feel of the more expensive machines, and were willing to sacrifice the unmatched-at-any-price, temperature stability and control of the BDB.  they voted with their feet and no longer own a BDB.  meanwhile, engineer-types like me and richard/bubbadude will not sacrifice performance for aesthetics, so we keep our BDB's.  it's the classic "artist vs. scientist" conundrum.  and it takes all kinds.  you will never find consensus.

-peter
cuznvin

Posted Thu Apr 25, 2013, 12:48pm

biochemgawd Said:

This is true. But my point is if they had spent 2.5x as much on an R58 DB they would still be on their first machine and probably still having problems.

This is a generalization, but you can't fault Breville for cross-shipping their customers new machines after minor issues (such as OPV set too high).

May be a minor issue, but turns into a big issue if it cant be adjusted by the user.
cuznvin

Posted Thu Apr 25, 2013, 12:50pm

BubbaDude Said:

Without the return/replacement policy, I would have had my first machine repaired when it went wonky after 13 months. I much prefer having a replacement machine with the latest parts and firmware.

Lets not go down that road again..
showing page 197 of 252 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville Dual...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
100% Organic Guate Coffee
Temblor is a very smooth Guatemalan coffee that presents notes of spice, cinnamon, and chocolate.
www.thelostgringo.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.4792740345)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+