Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Breville Dual Boiler BES900XL Owners Thread
Don't suffer bad espresso
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, VBM, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville Dual...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 255 last page next page
Author Messages
1atom12

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Breville Dual Boiler
Grinder: Breville Smart Grinder
Roaster: Zach and Dani's
Posted Wed Dec 14, 2011, 6:58am
Subject: Breville Dual Boiler BES900XL Owners Thread

Since the other BDB thread was locked, I was hoping to start a new discussion for owners of this machine.  

An update on my OPV adjusted replacement machine:  It's on it's way from Breville USA.  They ship just the machine itself, no accessories, water tank, drip tray etc...  They send the replacements 2 day air and provide you a FedEx return label for your old machine.  They remove the $250 authorization from your credit card once they receive your old machine at Breville.  You are never without a machine and your warranty remains intact.  So far, I'm impressed with their customer service.  

After 3 days I'm getting my shots dialed in a little more consistently.  Having a calibrated OPV will help get things dialed in a little closer.  BTW, I absolutely love the auto power on in the mornings!  I walk up to the machine in the morning, machine warm, cups warm, grind beans and go...  I know you can do this with most machines with an external timer, but this is the first time I've had the pleasure...  really nice...

I HATE the tapered baskets!  The tamper is forced to stop against the sides of the basket as it narrows so proper dosing is critical to getting a good tamp.  Does anyone know of any straight wall baskets (double/triple) that will fit our portafilters?

It would be great if we could keep this thread civil.  Personally, I'm interested in getting the most out of this machine and this forum provides an excellent vehicle for the purpose...  In the end, it's all about the cuppa!
 View Profile Link to this post
JonR10
JonR10

Espresso: E61 Legend, Livietta,...
Grinder: Robur, B-Vario-W
Vac Pot: Hario Tabletop, Yama...
Drip: Technivorm
Roaster: 1-lb US Roaster, Behmor 1600
Posted Wed Dec 14, 2011, 7:11am
Subject: Re: Breville Dual Boiler BES900XL Owners Thread

1atom12 Said:

It would be great if we could keep this thread civil.

Posted December 14, 2011 link

I agree 100% and I'd like to help support a productive discussion

So, here's advance notice: offtopic (and/or) rule-skirting posts will be deleted from this thread without hesitation.  
Posts in violation of any forum rules will be deleted and a strike issued.

Jon Rosenthal
Houston, TX
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Wed Dec 14, 2011, 7:19am

Adam,

Congrats on a new machine. I know I enjoy having my timer turn my machine on every morning, no time wasted, no waiting for the machine to warm up, well except for when I turn the main switch on the machine off for some reason, it does not happen much but when it does, what a pain!

I am waiting for my turn with the road trip BDB and I truly hope it is worthy of the hype and fuss it is making. In the past, my dealings with that manufacturer have been less than satisfying. I am cautiously optimistic about this machine but only hands on with it will tell.

It is too bad about those other threads about this machine that turned into I say, You say. I know I received a sideways insult and I am trying to be optimistic about this machine!

So far, it looks like B is supporting this machine and taking care of their mistakes, that is encouraging, and I hope it continues.

Is the PF a standard 58mm so the baskets can be swapped out for straight sided ones or are you locked into what the maker supplies? I know you basically asked the same question but as you have had a good machine before and know what standard 58mm PFs look like and have the BDB in your hands, what do you think?

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
1atom12

Espresso: Breville Dual Boiler
Grinder: Breville Smart Grinder
Roaster: Zach and Dani's
Posted Wed Dec 14, 2011, 7:34am

Other than the fact that it appears to be a solid chunk of stainless steel, it looks just like my E61 portafilter from the Giotto.  I would think it would accept just about any basket...  I'm hoping someone who has tried this will speak up...  I did remove the plastic insert inside the portafilter...  I have no idea what purpose the insert served, but with it removed, it may be able to take a triple basket...
SHCoffee
SHCoffee
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Breville BES900XL
Grinder: Wega/Compak K3 Elite
Posted Wed Dec 14, 2011, 7:50am

calblacksmith Said:

Adam,

Is the PF a standard 58mm so the baskets can be swapped out for straight sided ones or are you locked into what the maker supplies? I know you basically asked the same question but as you have had a good machine before and know what standard 58mm PFs look like and have the BDB in your hands, what do you think?

As I understand it, the pf is 58mm and will fit other, straight-walled, baskets, including deeper ones (once the black plastic do-hicky is removed).  I think I read it will even fit some, but not all, triples.  I've ordered an 18g VST which should arrive this week.  According to accounts on CS it should fit fine.  I'll report back.
DJP1812

Posted Wed Dec 14, 2011, 9:39am

Thanks for setting up this thread. It was so painful before to read through the back and forth commentary.

I have been a long time lurker and am finally upgrading my current Super-Auto setup to a Semi- Auto. I am getting the BDB soon and want to learn from the trials of others. Once I am an owner and get comfortable, I hope I can contribute.

I'm also interested in the basket options to use with the BDB portafilter. I might have to buy some new 'items' to have as soon as the BDB gets here.

Before my Super, I owned a very sad and cumbersome Semi-Auto but have grown bored of the espresso my Super is making.

-D
Metatron

Espresso: BDB900
Grinder: Vario
Posted Wed Dec 14, 2011, 10:20am

I have an 18 mg VST. It fits, albeit it's a bit snug to remove. The VST basket allows the tamper to go right to the bottom whereas the Breville basket jams after 8 mm or so.
Settembrini
Settembrini

Espresso: Breville DB
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Roaster: back yard barbecue...
Posted Wed Dec 14, 2011, 10:59am

I've read comments suggesting the plastic portafilter insert has something to do with temperature modulation.  But I would be curious to get the story from the horse's mouth as it were.
Vetallist

Espresso: Silvia PID
Grinder: Vario
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Wed Dec 14, 2011, 11:14am

Having received my BDB a few days ago, here's some quick notes:

- First two things a BDB owner should do is remove plastic insert from the portafilter and adjust OPV. Adjustment instructions posted on Nik's site are excellent, turning the valve 1.5 to 1.25 counter-clockwise turns will calibrate OPV to desired pressure range.

- While portafilter is 58mm, traditional portafilters from the likes of Silvia will not fit... thus no bottomless available so far, but given BDB's typical demographics, this should have been a must from the get go. They will probably go for $100 when they finally show up.

- Triple basket definitely will not fit into provided portafilter, but should fit once bottomless comes to the market.

- If you unplug the machine timer resets, which is a downer. Vario had the same issue in its first run, which was addressed in subsequent update a year later. Not sure why Breville couldn't include a basic memory unit to retain this and other settings.

- While machine has some quality components, especially in electronics department, it has a plastic frame and a cheapish looking grouphead. I guess that was to be expected given its price, so don't expect built-like-a-tank construction here. I wouldn't form any conclusions regarding its durability based on this observation though, only time and usage will.

- Finally, yes, espresso produced is indeed excellent! Very happy so far.
selzoc

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Wed Dec 14, 2011, 12:43pm

1atom12 Said:

Other than the fact that it appears to be a solid chunk of stainless steel, it looks just like my E61 portafilter from the Giotto.  I would think it would accept just about any basket...  I'm hoping someone who has tried this will speak up...  I did remove the plastic insert inside the portafilter...  I have no idea what purpose the insert served, but with it removed, it may be able to take a triple basket...

How did you remove the insert?  I tried using a chopstick for leverage to unscrew the spouts, but broke it :).  Maybe a screwdriver would work better...

I can confirm that the VST 18g basket fits just fine (even with the plastic!).  This is my first dual boiler machine and I've only had it since last night, but so far so good!  Super easy to make great microfoam, and the espresso so far has been awesome.  I am coming from a PID'ed Gaggia Classic with the Silvia steam wand, which I had tuned pretty well and was really in sync with, but the Breville is just effortless so far.  Really enjoying extracting espresso at the same time as texturing milk.

My OPV is one that hasn't been calibrated.  I extract around 12 bar so far.  I'm planning on just opening it up and adjusting it myself, looks easier than when I had to do it on the Gaggia, and it has a built-in gauge to boot!  The taste of the espresso was fine with the higher pressure, but I am a bit anal about this stuff (as evidenced by being a CoffeeGeek member :))

Looking forward to seeing other's thoughts on this machine.
showing page 1 of 255 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville Dual...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.393837928772)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+