Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Breville Dual Boiler BES900XL Owners Thread
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville Dual...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 194 of 261 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
pfn

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra II
Grinder: KA Proline w/ Mazzer Mini...
Posted Tue Apr 23, 2013, 12:00pm
Subject: Re: Breville Dual Boiler BES900XL Owners Thread

Iluvdabean Said:

Have you considered the La Nuova Era Cuadra,Im loving mine.

Posted April 23, 2013 link

Ya know, this is a BDB owner's thread... not a holy war, lets convert the infidels thread.  ;-)
 View Profile Link to this post
MerleApAmber

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Breville BES900
Grinder: Baratza Preciso + Esatto
Vac Pot: Yuma
Drip: bah-humbug
Roaster: Hot Top 2K P
Posted Tue Apr 23, 2013, 12:11pm

B747VET Said:

My sincere apologies folks.  I was going through the string late last night and kept seeing "When will they bring out a naked PF?" in various posts.  Happened to go to the Breville site and saw the "new" NPF.  Again, sorry to be so out of proper time sequencing.

It is NOT a new NPF to my knowledge.

So, to reword my previous post, have folks tried this NPF and is it of good quality?  I see that a couple of folks have already answered that question.  I have never tried one before.  I guess they seem to help analyze the quality of one's grinding and tamping.

Posted April 22, 2013 link

I love it. Phil McK indicated there were some serious cool down rates on the group head with the 900 which deserved conscientiousness flushing to ensure good long draws before blonding, using a 'naked' porta allows minimal losses to the steel below the basket.  Like I said, I love it. Clean design, easy to use, does the many jobs naked porta filters are known for. Good investment to me; YMMV

-Chris
MerleApAmber

Espresso: Breville BES900
Grinder: Baratza Preciso + Esatto
Vac Pot: Yuma
Drip: bah-humbug
Roaster: Hot Top 2K P
Posted Tue Apr 23, 2013, 12:13pm

pfn Said:

Ya know, this is a BDB owner's thread... not a holy war, lets convert the infidels thread.  ;-)

I've been trying not to feed the trolls.  Sometimes its difficult to keep faith not responding will assist them to move on to places they are appreciated.
BubbaDude
BubbaDude

Espresso: Breville Dual Boiler
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: Clever Coffee Dripper
Roaster: Hottop 2KB
Posted Tue Apr 23, 2013, 12:45pm

MerleApAmber Said:

I've been trying not to feed the trolls.  Sometimes its difficult to keep faith not responding will assist them to move on to places they are appreciated.

The trolls they are many, the time it is few.

"I've Scaced many HX/E61 machines, seeing shot variances of up to 8-10F or more. [The BDB] stays within 1F." - Mark Prince
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
PrescottCR
PrescottCR
Expertise: Pro Roaster

Espresso: Breville
Grinder: Baratza
Roaster: Diedrich
Posted Tue Apr 23, 2013, 3:41pm
Subject: what Chris said..

I'll second what Chris said. I hadn't seen the post her refers to by Phil McKnight but I have heard that same idea from other sources referring to every PF ever made with spouts. This is why you should leave the PF in the machine during use, and before use.

The bottomless is a nice addition. Less thermal mass to consider while making espresso. For me it also means a cleaner work place as the spouts on any standard PF drip. Not only that, they knock things over. Well, I knock things over with them.

So it's lighter, cleaner, smaller, aids in perfecting espresso technique, and for the clumsy among us- cleaner. It also makes for some cool pour pictures.

The only downside is if you need separate shots for some reason. Oh, and it cost money.
PacoPackaPucka

Posted Tue Apr 23, 2013, 8:30pm

Hey, I'm new to this thread and likely to buy a BDB soon.  One thing I'm wondering - does each unit have a serial number ?  If so, where is it located - on the machine itself, or on the box, where?  The reason I ask is, I might want try to find out something about the manufacture date - to confirm if I'm getting a newer machine and not one that's been sitting in a warehouse for many months.

thanks
Bill
PacoPackaPucka

Posted Tue Apr 23, 2013, 8:34pm

I'm interested in ordering a BDB from BBB (Bed Bath Beyond).  BTW for anyone else considering doing the same, it seems they will give their one-item 20% discount on the BDB - even though some or all of their coupons state that the coupon can't be used on Breville products.

There's just one small issue:  from reading this thread, I'm aware that the latest version of the BDB has some worthwhile updates and is Model BES900XL /B  whereas the earlier version lacked the  /B  at the end of the model number.  The problem is that BBB cannot seem to tell me which model I would get if I order one now.  Of course, I would want to get the latest  /B  model and not one that's been sitting in their warehouse for months and months.

It seems that BBB's inventory system or ordering system is not really set up to give out this kind of information either that, or their inventory system just does not contain the information as to whether a unit is the  /B  model or the older model.

Has anyone ordered a BDB from BBB recently?  If so, did you receive the  /B  model, or the older model?

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can order the BDB from BBB and make sure that I get the (latest)  /B  and not the older model?

thanks
Bill
BubbaDude
BubbaDude

Espresso: Breville Dual Boiler
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: Clever Coffee Dripper
Roaster: Hottop 2KB
Posted Tue Apr 23, 2013, 8:46pm

The /B model comes in a box with that says "Item No: BDB900XL/B" on two sides; it also has a lot number, which is 1302 for /B models. This is the cardboard shipping box, not the nice looking inner box with all the pictures on it.

"I've Scaced many HX/E61 machines, seeing shot variances of up to 8-10F or more. [The BDB] stays within 1F." - Mark Prince
Iluvdabean
Iluvdabean

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra/Gaggia...
Grinder: Baratza Preciso/K-A Pro...
Drip: Bonavita BV 1800 TH
Roaster: Nesco 1010/Behmor 1600
Posted Tue Apr 23, 2013, 9:58pm

Kind of ironic that Ive been a member here seven years longer than you,in good standing I might add. You should be careful who you call a troll. I have no interest in debating BDB's. You seem a little
hypersensitive. The person was  asking questions about other machines first.
Here are MattOwn own words,after you read them you tell me my question is not germain. Please try to not see every question about the BDB and this prospective owner as some sort of
out to get you tactic. Its simply aimed at assisting the new buyer,you are taking your roll as BDB watch dog way to seriously at least as far as I go anyways.

Mattown: Being my first "real" machine, it has been a big step up in cost to break the $1000 threshold, and I can't see going much higher until I've established a history of need and enjoyment. The more I read and learned the more expensive my "needs" became. The traditional starting point of the Silvia seemed too finicky to my needs. I will not be the only user, and my wife would frankly be more happy with a super automatic. I've looked at the Oscar, and CC1. Both of them seem to be viable alternatives. The Oscar seems to handle it's lack of a DB well with HX/Boiler, and it has a good track record, but no PID. The CC1 doesn't seem like it would handle my needs when we are entertaining. I think I could be VERY happy with a Rocket DB. Sadly it is nowhere near my $1000 price point. I am watching the used market though.

Matt I will close with one final thought this is a lot of money your spending and the choice is yours,choose wisely and
know all your options. Also I couldn't email you since your adress isnt valid.

MerleApAmber Said:

View Profile Contact via ICQ Link to this post
jchung
jchung
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Baby Twin, Breville...
Grinder: Baratza Encore, Breville...
Posted Wed Apr 24, 2013, 3:18am

MattOwn Said:

Ain't it the truth. By the way, I got a response from Chris at Clive Coffee. They no longer have any /A models. Their website should reflect that they now stock the /B, shortly. WLL and SCG will take a little while to work through existing stock, though as gmanjc said, there may not be a whole lotta difference from the late /As.

FYI... WLL has had the BDB on backorder at least for 3 weeks now. Probably at least 4 weeks really as I ordered mine from them while it was on backorder and the current ETA is 4/26. The "availability" on the WLL's website is not accurate. I've called them several times when the website said the BDB was available but my order showed it was backordered. Each time they've stated that they had no BDB in stock. They've had to push back the ETA 3 times so far on my order. Hopefully when they do get new stock it will be the /B.

Joo
showing page 194 of 261 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville Dual...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.471989154816)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+