Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Need Help With Breville Barista Express Settings Please!
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Need Help With...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 4 of 7 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Tue Apr 23, 2013, 7:42am
Subject: Re: Need Help With Breville Barista Express Settings Please!

Just post the video on youtube and link it here.  We will be happy to help you.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Burner0000

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia, VFA Expres...
Grinder: Macap MX/VFA N1464/Kyocera...
Drip: Manual Drip, French Press
Roaster: Behmor 1600 / Sonofresco
Posted Tue Apr 23, 2013, 8:22am

Have you tried dialing the integrated all the way down with the unpressurized baskets?  I have seen videos from SCG and they have to dial it all the way down to get a good flowing shot.  If this works and say down the road you wan't to try ristretto's a bit of a larger dose and or more tamping makes this possible. The Hario Slim is a great little grinder too.  I have the Skerton and I am happy with it.  I'd still experiment with the integrated grinder I think once you get your technique down you will be pulling great shots.  If your looking for a good grinder under $200 I would look at Baratza or used commercial grinders.  I have heard good things about Ascaso stepless grinders and they go on sale from time to time.  I would use this as a last resort though seeing as how you already have the integrated grinder and a hand grinder on the way.  

If you don't end up dialing in the integrated grinder at least you will have a nice dedicated drip grinder ;)
 View Profile Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
jonbik

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Tue Apr 23, 2013, 8:48am

What do you mean dial it down?  Like put it on the finest setting?  There are 16 setting and you can see a distinct difference between them. In the SCG video,  they use the pressurized baskets.
 View Profile Link to this post
OttoMatic

Espresso: Brewtus IV-R
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario,...
Drip: Capresso MT500+
Roaster: Cast iron dutch oven
Posted Tue Apr 23, 2013, 8:53am

Yeah, I think he means to go to the finest grind setting and see what happens.  I would do all experiments w/ the non-PPF.  I went back and skimmed this thread really quickly.  I don't think anyone suggested getting a scale.  You should do that; it helped me immensely.  A 0.5g difference in grounds mass can make quite a difference.  Order one from Amazon or eBay, and make sure it can do 0.1g resolution.

Or...  if I missed something you're already there, can you tell us how much ground coffee you're using?  I guess you may not have your fresh beans yet, so I might be getting a bit ahead, but I'll be really interested to know how much grounds you're using.
Burner0000

Posted Tue Apr 23, 2013, 9:01am

Yes to the finest setting.  If it's the same specs as the breville smart grinder then this should work.  .  Here's the video Click .  I'll look around for a mod for finer settings.

UPDATE:   Read this post  
Watch this video
jonbik

Posted Tue Apr 23, 2013, 9:06am

How many grams of coffee is ideal for a single and double shot. I have a food scale that I can use.
Burner0000

Posted Tue Apr 23, 2013, 9:09am

jonbik Said:

How many grams of coffee is ideal for a single and double shot. I have a food scale that I can use.

Posted April 23, 2013 link

I use 10g single
        14g double
OttoMatic

Espresso: Brewtus IV-R
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario,...
Drip: Capresso MT500+
Roaster: Cast iron dutch oven
Posted Tue Apr 23, 2013, 9:14am

I do ~18g doubles and ~23g triples.  I don't do singles at all.  Work with doubles only while you're figuring this out.  I don't know how big your basket is, but 14g is probably a good starting point.

How accurate is your scale?  Can it do 0.1g precision?
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Tue Apr 23, 2013, 9:46am

Ahh that's another thing, don't bother with the single baskets (single meaning single not just single wall, should have single baskets in both versions and double baskets in both). Pressurized single and double baskets is one thing, but pulling a shot with a single regular basket is almost a loss cause lol.... doubles are waaaaay easier.

As far as dose, depends on size of your double basket and clearance of your group head screen (don't want to hit the screen and then cause poor extraction but that's more of an issue with regular baskets not pressurized). On my double basket I dose around 16g on average, but can go to a limit of about 18g, some other machines can't go north of 15g.... all depends.

Make sure your scale measures to .1g, if it's just 1 gram, get one that reads to .1g (I bought mine on Amazon Prime for like 10 bucks). As with coffee you want to be accurate when measuring, as a .5-1g difference can totally affect the extraction. Make sure your machine is warmed up well too, at least 30 min with the portafilter on.

Burner0000 Said:

If your looking for a good grinder under $200 I would look at Baratza or used commercial grinders.  I have heard good things about Ascaso stepless grinders and they go on sale from time to time.  I would use this as a last resort though seeing as how you already have the integrated grinder and a hand grinder on the way.  

Don't say Baratza under 200 as the only one would be the Encore lol, don't want to try to pull espresso shots with that ha. Virtuoso is like 230 I think, and the Preciso around 300. But the Virtuoso has wide steps, the Micro collar of the Preciso makes it a basically stepless grinder. Agree though, play with the built it and the hand grinder for now and go from there, I've pulled awesome shots with my Hario Slim.

Burner0000 Said:

Yes to the finest setting.  If it's the same specs as the breville smart grinder then this should work.  .  Here's the video Click .  I'll look around for a mod for finer settings.

UPDATE:   Read this post  
Watch this video

I remember that guy lol, think he's on here? He eventually gave up on that machine and bought a CC1.
jonbik

Posted Tue Apr 23, 2013, 12:58pm

here is a video. Click Here (www.youtube.com)    i used the end of my starbucks espresso beans and a unpressurized double shot basket. THIS TASTED LIKE CRAP!
showing page 4 of 7 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Need Help With...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.42036485672)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+