Espresso: Espresso Machines
Breville Dual Boiler BES900XL Owners Thread
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville Dual...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 193 of 265 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
dagoat

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Pavoni Europiccola, BDB...
Grinder: HG-One, baratza vario
Vac Pot: aeropress
Drip: manual
Roaster: cafe rosto
Posted Mon Apr 22, 2013, 12:25pm
Subject: Re: Breville Dual Boiler BES900XL Owners Thread

B747VET Said:

Anyone tried the new Breville Naked Portafilter for the BDB yet?

Posted April 22, 2013 link

breville introduced a naked PF for the BDB a year ago and now there's already a new one?  is there some kind of improvement in this new one versus the old one?  yikes.

-peter
 View Profile Link to this post
AlexKilpatrick

Espresso: Breville Dual Boiler
Grinder: Bairtiza Vario
Posted Mon Apr 22, 2013, 12:28pm

B747VET Said:

I have one.  Not much to tell, really.  It is a naked portafilter, and it works the same as they all do.  I use it sometimes when I am experimenting.  For example, when I was trying to see if WDT makes a difference, I used it.  But I don't use it on a day-to-day basis.  The occasional "spritzer" makes a mess.
BubbaDude
BubbaDude

Espresso: Breville Dual Boiler
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: Clever Coffee Dripper
Roaster: Hottop 2KB
Posted Mon Apr 22, 2013, 1:10pm

dagoat Said:

breville introduced a naked PF for the BDB a year ago and now there's already a new one?  is there some kind of improvement in this new one versus the old one?  yikes.

-peter

This is the first I've heard about a "new" naked from Breville, I use one of the first batch from a year ago as my regular PF.

"I've Scaced many HX/E61 machines, seeing shot variances of up to 8-10F or more. [The BDB] stays within 1F." - Mark Prince
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
dagoat

Espresso: La Pavoni Europiccola, BDB...
Grinder: HG-One, baratza vario
Vac Pot: aeropress
Drip: manual
Roaster: cafe rosto
Posted Mon Apr 22, 2013, 1:35pm

BubbaDude Said:

This is the first I've heard about a "new" naked from Breville, I use one of the first batch from a year ago as my regular PF.

it was news to me, too.  but eagle-eyed member b747vet posted about it near the bottom of the previous page of posts.  i haven't had time to follow up and see if there are new features it brings.  not true.  really, i haven't had the _interest_ to follow up... because what kind of features can a "new" naked portafilter have that the old one doesn't?  i'm happy with the one i got last fall for my birthday.  

it's just that the idea of a new one seems odd to me unless they have redesigned the lugs or something.  and even at that, mine doesn't slip out as long as i keep the group gasket and basket rim dry.

-peter
michaelgo

Espresso: Breville 900XL
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Mon Apr 22, 2013, 1:50pm

B747VET Said:

Is it possible that this was meant to be naked PF with New Breville (i.e. /B)?

Michael
B747VET

Espresso: BES900XL/B
Posted Mon Apr 22, 2013, 5:05pm

My sincere apologies folks.  I was going through the string late last night and kept seeing "When will they bring out a naked PF?" in various posts.  Happened to go to the Breville site and saw the "new" NPF.  Again, sorry to be so out of proper time sequencing.

It is NOT a new NPF to my knowledge.

So, to reword my previous post, have folks tried this NPF and is it of good quality?  I see that a couple of folks have already answered that question.  I have never tried one before.  I guess they seem to help analyze the quality of one's grinding and tamping.
MattOwn

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Looking
Grinder: Vario
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos
Drip: Aeropress
Posted Tue Apr 23, 2013, 4:57am

Thanks for the responses.

gmanjc Said:

... I emailed customer service and got a response.

Basically, the improvements with this machine are extremely incremental and the /B doesn't represent a huge change from say the A21 model.

For instance, a computer program version # could progress as:  1.7, 1.8, 1.9 and then 2.0. Just because it has reached 2.0, doesn't mean it's completely different than version 1.9. The same is true with this machine. The /B model probably only has 1 or 2 extremely small changes from the last iteration of the A version.

If you want a Breville DB, I would just go ahead and buy one from a reputable source such as Amazon or one of the well known smaller vendors. Chances are, you will get one of the latest models in the A series and it'll be nearly identical to the /B model.

I'm repeating what I heard from the Breville customer service rep and coming up with my own conclusions so I don't mean to speak as an authority, but this is how I understand it.

This is the sense I have gotten from perusing this and other forums. It is one of the reasons I have about settled on the BDB. Breville seems committed to making this machine the best it can be. We will see if that commitment  continues with the release of the "9" and the Oracle. Unfortunately Breville was less than inspiring when I could not get any response to this question in multiple emails and a FB post.

BubbaDude Said:

The ones I'm aware of would include improved seals, correction of some assembly line issues, a new OPV (I think) and updated firmware. ... and a better thermistor is working fine. but it's always nice to have the most recent model except when it isn't.

Posted April 21, 2013 link

Ain't it the truth. By the way, I got a response from Chris at Clive Coffee. They no longer have any /A models. Their website should reflect that they now stock the /B, shortly. WLL and SCG will take a little while to work through existing stock, though as gmanjc said, there may not be a whole lotta difference from the late /As.

Iluvdabean Said:

You say this is to use your own words "Your first real espresso machine"! What made you choose a BDB? Have you looked at the other options available?

Posted April 21, 2013 link

I suspect my reasons for going BDB are similar to all of yours (Dual boilers, PIDs, heated brewgroup, all the ergonomic goodies). Things that give me pause: made in China, short track record (how long will it last after we stop getting multiple warranty replacements), PID reflects user temp choice and not temp of water delivered. It sounds to me like the common concern about professional descaling will not last. It seems like Breville is protecting themselves in our litigious market. Those of us who are willing to tinker, will be able to descale our own machines.

Being my first "real" machine, it has been a big step up in cost to break the $1000 threshold, and I can't see going much higher until I've established a history of need and enjoyment. The more I read and learned the more expensive my "needs" became. The traditional starting point of the Silvia seemed too finicky to my needs. I will not be the only user, and my wife would frankly be more happy with a super automatic. I've looked at the Oscar, and CC1. Both of them seem to be viable alternatives. The Oscar seems to handle it's lack of a DB well with HX/Boiler, and it has a good track record, but no PID. The CC1 doesn't seem like it would handle my needs when we are entertaining. I think I could be VERY happy with a Rocket DB. Sadly it is nowhere near my $1000 price point. I am watching the used market though.
MattOwn

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Looking
Grinder: Vario
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos
Drip: Aeropress
Posted Tue Apr 23, 2013, 5:07am

Kat and Phil,

Are you back yet (and safe) from Boston?

I saw one report from SCAA that indicated that we might be seeing more of your black and red paint schemes on espresso machines. Will this include the 900xl, in the American (USA) market? How soon will they reach our shores? Our cousins down under have enjoyed their privileged rainbow choices, long enough.

Inquiring minds ...
PrescottCR
PrescottCR
Expertise: Pro Roaster

Espresso: Breville
Grinder: Baratza
Roaster: Diedrich
Posted Tue Apr 23, 2013, 8:01am
Subject: Barista Express

I've been checking the brevilleusa.com site since the SCAA wrapped up to see what's new there. The manual for the /b version is up for our beloved BDB. Still, no Oracle or color variations have surfaced.

One nice thing appeared today, the new Barista Express.  With a badge that says 'Winner of Best New Product- Coffee or Tea Prep & serving SCAA 2013.

So congrats on that one Breville!

And to Matt- Congrats on your step up. Which grinder are you using?
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Iluvdabean
Iluvdabean

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra/Gaggia...
Grinder: Baratza Preciso/K-A Pro...
Drip: Bonavita BV 1800 TH
Roaster: Nesco 1010/Behmor 1600
Posted Tue Apr 23, 2013, 8:16am

Have you considered the La Nuova Era Cuadra,Im loving mine.

MattOwn Said:

Thanks for the responses.

This is the sense I have gotten from perusing this and other forums. It is one of the reasons I have about settled on the BDB. Breville seems committed to making this machine the best it can be. We will see if that commitment  continues with the release of the "9" and the Oracle. Unfortunately Breville was less than inspiring when I could not get any response to this question in multiple emails and a FB post.

Ain't it the truth. By the way, I got a response from Chris at Clive Coffee. They no longer have any /A models. Their website should reflect that they now stock the /B, shortly. WLL and SCG will take a little while to work through existing stock, though as gmanjc said, there may not be a whole lotta difference from the late /As.

I suspect my reasons for going BDB are similar to all of yours (Dual boilers, PIDs, heated brewgroup, all the ergonomic goodies). Things that give me pause: made in China, short track record (how long will it last after we stop getting multiple warranty replacements), PID reflects user temp choice and not temp of water delivered. It sounds to me like the common concern about professional descaling will not last. It seems like Breville is protecting themselves in our litigious market. Those of us who are willing to tinker, will be able to descale our own machines.

Being my first "real" machine, it has been a big step up in cost to break the $1000 threshold, and I can't see going much higher until I've established a history of need and enjoyment. The more I read and learned the more expensive my "needs" became. The traditional starting point of the Silvia seemed too finicky to my needs. I will not be the only user, and my wife would frankly be more happy with a super automatic. I've looked at the Oscar, and CC1. Both of them seem to be viable alternatives. The Oscar seems to handle it's lack of a DB well with HX/Boiler, and it has a good track record, but no PID. The CC1 doesn't seem like it would handle my needs when we are entertaining. I think I could be VERY happy with a Rocket DB. Sadly it is nowhere near my $1000 price point. I am watching the used market though.

Posted April 23, 2013 link

View Profile Contact via ICQ Link to this post
showing page 193 of 265 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville Dual...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.515202999115)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+