Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Need Help With Breville Barista Express Settings Please!
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Need Help With...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 7 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
jonbik

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Sun Apr 21, 2013, 4:02pm
Subject: Re: Need Help With Breville Barista Express Settings Please!

Thank you for telling me about those roasters. I think I will try the fair mountain roasters because the redbird one is in Montana and I am in Virginia. Fair mountain should be fresher. The breville Barista has a conical burr grinder inside. I think I will hold off on buying a new grinder for now. Can you please go to the fair mountain roasters website and pick out one regular and one decaf blend for me?  Should I start using the single walled baskets even if I don't have a superb grinder?
 View Profile Link to this post
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Sun Apr 21, 2013, 4:25pm

jonbik Said:

Thank you for telling me about those roasters. I think I will try the fair mountain roasters because the redbird one is in Montana and I am in Virginia. Fair mountain should be fresher. The breville Barista has a conical burr grinder inside. I think I will hold off on buying a new grinder for now. Can you please go to the fair mountain roasters website and pick out one regular and one decaf blend for me?  Should I start using the single walled baskets even if I don't have a superb grinder?

Posted April 21, 2013 link

There are tons of roasters online so if you google you can find a bunch as well. But Fair Mountain Coffee is really good, I've had their Bali Blue, Espresso blend, Nicaraguan, and Peru. I think they have 1 or 2 decaf's you can check their site at http://www.fairmountaincoffee.com/coffee_s/74.htm , they do 2lbs shipped for around $27 which is pretty good, you'd have to start going north of 5lbs+ to start seeing bigger discounts at other companies but then you get into another can of worms with storage of that much roasted coffee w/o going stale soon.

You can play with the baskets, ie going as fine as you can with the single wall ones and see if you can pull a decent shot with fresh beans (stale beans are harder and end up more as gushers). I think the burr set of the built in grinders on Breville's is the same as the Smart Grinder but doesn't have the range of adjustment of the Smart Grinder. Never hurts to play around and experiment though lol.

If you want to play more you could even pick up a cheap hand grinder like that Hario Slim (I have one too), like 30 bucks or so on Amazon. But also pick up a digi scale that measures to .1 grams too figure out where your dose is, one I got off amazon was only like 10 bucks.

Another roaster I use is Cafe Don Pablo by me, Costco is one of their largest customers, and they also try to clear inventory within 3 weeks or so so coffee isn't sitting around. But you can see if it's carried by you and figure out when it comes in, or order fresh and shipped for around $20 for 2lbs www.cafedonpablo.com , just ordered their new organic Guatemalan and stopped by and picked it up the other week and was really good.
jonbik

Posted Sun Apr 21, 2013, 4:33pm

The smart grinder has the same conical burr as the Barista express. I can toggle between 16 settings on my machine but of course you can do more on the smart grinder. I just placed an order with fair mountain. I got a pound of guatemala and a pound of decaf honduras decaf. Thank you for telling me about them! What dobyou suggest I do while finding the right settings for my machine. I do not want to waste nice coffee! Also, if it takes me 2-3 weeks to go through 2 pounds of beans,  what is the best way to store them. Also, do you have an email that I can reach you at? You seem to know a lot about coffee!
jroach

Espresso: Elektra Micro Casa,...
Grinder: La Cimbali 6S, Baratza...
Drip: EVA Solo, Moka, Press Pot,...
Posted Sun Apr 21, 2013, 5:05pm

Your location is listed as McLean.  If you me McLean, VA you might want to give Shenandoah Joe's a shot as a roaster.  

Shenandoah Joe's is in Charlottesville and last time I ordered online they roasted the order Monday morning (before 7am) and had it in Monday's mail.  I live in Chesterfield, about 2 hours away, and received the coffee Tuesday.  Can't get much tighter than that.  Several options on espresso blends beside a whole slew of other blends and origins.  

Ciao
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Mon Apr 22, 2013, 7:19am

If you can drink it in 2 weeks or so just keep it cool and dry (not the fridge).

Even redbird will be on your door in 3-4 days. All coffee needs 2-3 days to degas.  If you find a local shop it is better to taste it there and if you like it take the beans home and try to match it.  When you are first learning it helps to have 2+ pounds of the same roast to learn on.  When I get 5lbs in I keep out about half pound and freeze the rest in small vacuum ziplock bags about a cup in each bag.  That way it all grinds at the same range for the 2 months or so it takes me to drink the coffee up.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
takeshi
takeshi
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Alex Duetto 3.0
Grinder: Super Jolly
Roaster: Amaya Roasting
Posted Mon Apr 22, 2013, 7:29am

jonbik Said:

I would like to ask anyone that is familiar with this machine, what settings should i put it on for the single walled baskets?

Not familiar with your machine but on any grinder you can't just transfer the settings from one to another.  Dialing in a grinder is the same process no matter which grinder you're using and you have to go through it to find the proper setting.

jonbik Said:

I disagree that pressurized baskets make "fake espresso". In some cases, a pressurized basket will make a better shot of espresso than a nonpressurized basket.

You can disagree all you want but pressurized portafilters exist as an attempt to mitigiate poor grind and stale beans.  That's why they're so common on low end, big box store espresso machines and disappear once you move up.  With fresh, properly ground beans (e.g. all else being equal) a pressurized portafilter and it's faux crema will never make a better shot than a non-pressurized portafilter.  I'm sure you can create conditions under which a pressurized portafilter could produce better espresso but it would require ideal conditions specifically for the pressurized and catastrophic failures with the non-pressurized to do so.

jonbik Said:

Additionally, many cafes that i have been to use Lavazza and Illy coffee and they get great shots out of them.

And many cafes that don't use Lavazza and Illy's stale beans produce even better shots.  If your experience is limited then cafes using Lavazza and Illy probably seem to produce great shots but your perception will quickly change once you've had more experience with better coffee shops.  "Great" is relative.

jonbik Said:

The breville Barista has a conical burr grinder inside. I think I will hold off on buying a new grinder for now.

Definitely keep it in mind though.  As we always say, the grinder matters most.  You might want to take a look at this and other similar threads:
"Upgrade :)"
jonbik

Posted Mon Apr 22, 2013, 8:06am

I thought it was bad to freeze beans.
jonbik

Posted Mon Apr 22, 2013, 8:11am

Don't you have trouble storing 5 pounds of beans?
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Mon Apr 22, 2013, 9:36am

I want good beans at a good price, I live in a rural area so I can't just get a bag a week close locally and I like having a large batch to work from.

There is some disagreement about freezing, but I have found it to be very consistent with grind from small bag to small bag and tastes fine to me.  I break it down into small bags and I have a chest freezer that doesn't defrost itself.  So that is the very best place to store them.  Also they are gone in 2 months, 3 at most.  So they are not stored very long.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
jonbik

Posted Mon Apr 22, 2013, 11:40am

I tried a few single walled basket shots. As a cappuccino, it is good, however, when i just brewed the shots, there was very little to no crema. The shot was also very harsh and bitter. Does harshness and bitterness mean under extraction or over extraction? My gauge was in the right range. Did my shot taste bad because of the beans, grind setting, bad tamp, or too much coffee in the portafilter? HELP. so far, the best shots i have gotten are with the pressurized filters... NOT GOOD!
showing page 2 of 7 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Need Help With...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.469770908356)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+