Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Bezzera Unica?
The Coffee Project
Home coffee Roasting equipment, green beans, and supplies
www.coffeeproject.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Bezzera Unica?  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
gibson00

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sat Apr 20, 2013, 7:38pm
Subject: Bezzera Unica?

Anyone here use one?  I can't find many reviews on it.  I am thinking seriously about getting a Rocket Giotto Premium V2, but saw the Unica, which is about 700 cheaper.
Any comparisons?
Thx!
 View Profile Link to this post
qualin
qualin
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto 3
Grinder: Mazzer Mini Elect. Type A
Vac Pot: Looking to buy
Drip: Manual
Roaster: Considering?
Posted Sun Apr 21, 2013, 1:22am
Subject: Re: Bezzera Unica?

gibson00 Said:

Anyone here use one?  I can't find many reviews on it.  I am thinking seriously about getting a Rocket Giotto Premium V2, but saw the Unica, which is about 700 cheaper.

Posted April 20, 2013 link

The Rocket is a heat exchanging machine, the Unica is a Single Boiler Dual Use machine. Two very different machines with very different operation. There isn't really any comparison.
Both machines have an E61 group from the looks of it, but that's about it.

Can you please read this thread first: "Please read before you post New Machine buying question."

Then answer the questions mentioned there?

From those answers, we can determine if the Premium or the Unica is the right machine for you.  However, lets start out with budget?
Budget must include the Grinder, Espresso Machine and Accessories.

EDIT:

I realized that you have quite a few posts and in a lot of those posts you've mentioned you've owned SBDU machines before, so I apologize if it sounds like I'm talking down to you.
In that thread I mentioned, there is a lot of good information in there and you've mentioned before that you were looking at a Rocket.

IMO, I would say that due to your past experiences and posts, Just consider buying the Rocket.

Garbage In, Garbage Out, for every step of the process. From Beans to grinder, grounds to machine, coffee to cup.
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
gibson00

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sun Apr 21, 2013, 1:33am

No worries, I do realize they are quite different.
The Unica seems like a nice package for the money.  I don't make more than two drinks at a time, so don't truly -need- a Rocket... :)
Just wanted to see some reviews of the Unica.

As for grinder, I'll probably be going with a Vario.

Cheers
ChiefUnick

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Thu Jun 27, 2013, 5:30am

I am new to the 'homepro' coffee arena and have just got my first machines a Bezzera Unica and Mahlkonig Vario,
and am really pleased with them both.

I wanted a compact machine with PID and a professional group which the Unica has.

Like you will only be making a few drinks at a time and also have limited space in my kitchen.
The machine is nice and compact, and heats up very quickly warming the group as it goes.

After a couple of trial runs I got the grind right and now get the 30 second shot. The pre-ground coffee I used in my old steam pressure machine shot through in 10 seconds!

The Vario is great there is practically zero waste as it dispenses a measure dose right into the portafilter, which is easy to tamp down.
Get a decent 58mm tamper though as the Unica comes with a plastic one. It does come with 2 portafilters and a single and dual shot filter.

The Unica PID has 2 modes, coffee & steam (which can both be adjusted), when you switch from coffee to steam between them it takes about 30 seconds to get the boiler up to steam temp. When switching back you need to turn on the pump to fill the boiler again and drop the temperature. I have found that a lot of water comes out if you fully open the steam wand but I think that is partially due to my inexperience.
I think the trick is to let more of the water out of the boiler before steaming to give the steam more space to expand.

Edit: Yup that's better let the boiler get up to steam temp then open the wand for 10 seconds to purge out some water.
Then once back up to temp you just get steam with very little water.

The user manual is pretty basic and for a novice like me wasn't much help getting me started actually making a decent shot.

There are a couple of youtube videos with Luca Bezzera (current production manager) who demonstrates how to use the machine.
He steams the milk first then makes the coffee shot.

My brother has the Rocket R58 which is a dual boiler monster but has the same E61 group.
The coffee shots from the Unica are as good as the R58 but the steam production is a little more fiddly to master.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Bezzera Unica?  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.367345809937)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+