Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Sivlia still pouring too fast on finest grind?
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Sivlia still...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
Dayglow
Dayglow
Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Sat Apr 20, 2013, 6:22pm
Subject: Sivlia still pouring too fast on finest grind?

I have a PID'd v3 Silvia and an Ascaso I2 conical grinder. I've tried a variety of beans, just got some fresh today from the roaster -and even with my grinder on its finest possible ability before it jams- I still can not get my shots to go longer than 2oz in about 10 seconds. There is boat loads of crema and the shots aren't terrible, but it is not what I know she can deliver. I have tried over dosing, under dosing, adjusting tamp, etc and nothing changes it. I did notice that with the stock double basket, even if the puck is tamped to just below the ridge it still touches the grouphead screw. Could the screw really disturb it enough to cause this problem that has not caused failure with so many other peoples' machines out there?

Unless somehow my OPV is set to 12bar, which I'd love to check the pressure but don't have the gauge yet, I can think of little else to cause a problem. Anybody have any thoughts? I've disassembled the entire group head for cleaning, back flushed, descaled, the whole nine short of tearing the whole thing apart with no changes.
 View Profile Link to this post
johnny4lsu
johnny4lsu

Grinder: Baratza Encore
Drip: Clever, Chemex, v60, kalita...
Roaster: Huky 500
Posted Sat Apr 20, 2013, 7:19pm
Subject: Re: Sivlia still pouring too fast on finest grind?

2oz in 10 seconds and your shots aren't terrible?

I'd imagine they are worse than terrible!

1 Corinthians 10:31 Therefore, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do everything for the glory of God.
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Sat Apr 20, 2013, 7:23pm

You said your touching the screw, on the Silvia that will fracture the puck causing poor extraction. Do you have a digi scale that reads to .1g? If I recall I think depending on the roast type the Silvia basket is limited to around 15-16g before hitting the screw.

Dose the basket,  lock in then remove the portafilter, and see if the screw made an indent.
Dayglow
Dayglow

Posted Sat Apr 20, 2013, 8:42pm

Yea I've weighed everything out and as I said even with the basket tamped down to the ridge -which is as low as i can go with a 58mm tamper- it still touches and leaves a dent. I know the fracturing can cause channeling but I can't tamp any lower even with an underdosed basket. I've disassembled the grouphead and cleaned and prepped it to normal specs to make sure it's not off sided or anything.
Dayglow
Dayglow

Posted Sat Apr 20, 2013, 8:45pm

johnny4lsu Said:

2oz in 10 seconds and your shots aren't terrible?

I'd imagine they are worse than terrible!

Posted April 20, 2013 link

That's what I would figure, but they aren't too blonded, little thin on the body and the flavor is a bit soft. Not like a typical blown shot...
zedex

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Spaz v2
Grinder: vario
Posted Sat Apr 20, 2013, 9:32pm

Im gonna say grinder. When was the last time you cleaned it? It might be gummed up so you cant grind fine enough to choke the silvia. If you have been able to choke the silvia in past but not now. Grinder.
Dayglow
Dayglow

Posted Sun Apr 21, 2013, 3:50am

I've torn the grinder apart, it is all cleaned up and putting out finely ground coffee as it always has. The Silvia is new to me but the grinder isn't, I'm no stranger to pulling shots so my technique is alright. I keep adjusting my technique parameters in case I'm the problem, but still pours quick.
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4, Pharos,...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Sun Apr 21, 2013, 4:49am

How long are you letting the Silvia warmup?  If it's just until the light goes out, that's not long enough, and could be at least part of your problem.

Regarding technique.  I highly recommend reading the Easy Guide to Better Espresso at Home on www.espressomyespresso.com It's article 12 about halfway down the right column, under how to.  Follow the advice in that article and you should see a lot of improvement in your shots (assuming your equipment, grinder, beans and machine, is all "running" properly).  You've pretty much told us the grinder (macinazione) and beans (miscela) are good, so it's either the macchina, the mano, or both.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
Dayglow
Dayglow

Posted Sun Apr 21, 2013, 6:41am

She gets warmed up for at least 40 minutes and then I flush the portafilter and grouphead to get them up to temperature. I also dry the basket prior to dosing. I've read portions of that page before, I am continuing to shift my technique and process in single measurable ways to see if a difference can be noted. I've burned through over two pounds of beans so far. I will continue to modify and test -hopefully I will build a pressure gauge after work today- and see what comes. So far the only sources of error I can think of are the ridges in the double basket(unlikely but possible) or the grouphead screw being sources of channeling.
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4, Pharos,...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Sun Apr 21, 2013, 7:01am

Ridges - preposterous
Screen - easy to check with a stubby flathead screwdriver
Technique - the most likely culprit

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Sivlia still...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket Espresso Machines
Free extended warranty & free shipping. Contact us for best prices.
espressooutlet.net
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.423241853714)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+