Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Sivlia still pouring too fast on finest grind?
Don't suffer bad espresso
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, VBM, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Sivlia still...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Sun Apr 21, 2013, 9:02am
Subject: Re: Sivlia still pouring too fast on finest grind?

I could not tamp properly at first because my tamper would get stuck on the ridges till I got rid of my stock NS baskets.  I think it is possible.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Sun Apr 21, 2013, 5:04pm

Hmmm maybe VST should stop offering ridged baskets?

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
 View Profile Link to this post
takeshi
takeshi

Espresso: Alex Duetto 3.0
Grinder: Super Jolly
Roaster: Amaya Roasting
Posted Mon Apr 22, 2013, 8:53am

Dayglow Said:

I did notice that with the stock double basket, even if the puck is tamped to just below the ridge it still touches the grouphead screw. Could the screw really disturb it enough to cause this problem that has not caused failure with so many other peoples' machines out there?

Posted April 20, 2013 link

Yes, it can.  I'd suggest finding a ridgeless basket so you can tamp lower (and dose less if you need to) since you indicate that the ridge is limiting you.  Are you using a naked portafilter to check for channeling?  It might help to know exactly where then channeling is taking place.  Are you using any workarounds to deal with distribution?
Dayglow
Dayglow

Posted Mon Apr 22, 2013, 4:46pm

takeshi Said:

Yes, it can.  I'd suggest finding a ridgeless basket so you can tamp lower (and dose less if you need to) since you indicate that the ridge is limiting you.  Are you using a naked portafilter to check for channeling?  It might help to know exactly where then channeling is taking place.  Are you using any workarounds to deal with distribution?

Posted April 22, 2013 link

I just recently picked up a stainless screw and filed down the cap so that it was lower profile. I still have to underdose by about 0.5g if I don't want it to touch at which point I feel my tamp getting limited by the basket edges. If I run a 15g I get minimal screw contact and the shot has move up to 15-20 second range with all other parameters being relatively the same. I am surprised that this could be such a limiting factor given that so many have had problems where others have none. At some point soon when I get back into the workshop I may have to countersink grouphead to get a more flush face.

My distribution is a variant on the chop with some light "fluffing" with a pick to break up the clumps and promote evenness. I wish I had a naked pf so I could check for channeling, but alas have not yet gotten there.

If I had some local people who could help diagnose it'd be well appreciated but I am kind of out in the hinterland compared to the bulk of espresso aficionados it seems.
Dayglow
Dayglow

Posted Wed Apr 24, 2013, 9:14am

I flush mounted the grouphead screw and it made a fair difference. The clearance is now perfect and I can only see it being better switching to a straight sided basket and being able to tamp lower. Thanks for the brainstorming!
MJJ

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia PID
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: Hario V60
Posted Fri Apr 26, 2013, 7:00am

Hi,
  I have a Silvia V3 too. The first thought that comes to mind is your grind isn't fine enough, that's the most likely culprit. If the Silvia is new to you then maybe your grinder was fine for your old machine but not the Silvia. The Silvia needs a very fine grind like any other espresso machine with a non-pressurized portafilter.
  The next thing I would do is get yourself an 18 gram basket. For example a VST 18 gram, or Espresso Parts or other brand that fits in the Silvia. The stock double on the Silvia is a 14 gram basket. Taking your finest grind that you have now and making an 18 gram shot will already slow down the speed of your shot (but you might still need to grind finer to get 2 ounces in 25-30 seconds). For me getting the VST 18 gram basket made a big improvement in my shots right off the bat.
  My experience with the Silvia says don't over dose your basket too much. If you have the stock double then keep it at 14 or 15 grams. If you get an 18 gram basket you can put 17-19 grams in it. If you get a 20 gram basket then put 19-21 grams in it. If you overdose it too much then you'll get worse shots and water dribbling out around the edges of the basket...been there.
  I've asked a lot of questions about the grouphead screw. If you dose as above then you'll be fine with the stock screw. Read this new review about the Silvia on Home Barista, I'm "Mount Royal" and I asked about the screw and brew head pressure and got clear answers from the professionals who did the review.
  I wouldn't get caught up worrying about ridgeless baskets,etc., you can get along just fine with a ridged one, I think you're barking up the wrong tree there.

http://www.home-barista.com/rancilio-silvia-review.html

I hope it's ok to refer to Home Barista while on CoffeeGeek, I love both sites!
zedex

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Spaz v2
Grinder: vario
Posted Fri Apr 26, 2013, 11:13am

I had a v3 silvia for years. Never a problem.. Like i said. If you cant choke the silvia, its the grinder not grinding fine enough. The silvia is a very picky machine. Grind has to be bang on. Never touched my screw. The screw gave me an indication that my dose was right on. Had no channeling issues with the screw as is.

I used the Vario with great success and still using it.
Dayglow
Dayglow

Posted Fri Apr 26, 2013, 1:19pm

Everything got sorted out after I replaced the grouphead screw and I also spent some more time breaking in the burrs. I guess after 80+lb it still had some more to go... the grinder could go powder fine before but it struggled despite its sizable motor, now it chews through anything.
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Sivlia still...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.40075802803)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+