Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
QuickMill QM67 v. Expobar Brewtus iv
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > QuickMill QM67...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
OttoMatic

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Brewtus IV-R
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario,...
Drip: Capresso MT500+
Roaster: Cast iron dutch oven
Posted Tue Apr 16, 2013, 8:14am
Subject: Re: QuickMill QM67 v. Expobar Brewtus iv

I've had a Brewtus IV-R for about three or four months now, and I really enjoy it.  It had a rattling drip tray, but WLL replaced that at my request and the new one fits just fine.  I have read about some issues with their lesser machines, but not much bad about the Brewtus.  I'd also be interested to understand what the complaints might be.  I have no problems pulling high-quality shots, and would contend that I can make coffees as good as most (if not all) of the shops near me.  

I set the PID to 196F and it will vary typically only by -1 from there.  The only time I can get it to drop lower than that is if I'm backflushing it, which consumes much more water than brewing.  I'll easily pull two or three triples in a row without issue, along with steaming, etc.  

I have no experience with the QM67, but I'd say that the two machines look rather similar.  There's some room for personal preference there, but there's no *real* difference there.

FWIW, I've used a Mazzer Mini-E and a Mahlkönig K30 Vario with the Brewtus.  Both give excellent results in the cup.

If you have any specific questions about the Brewtus, I'll try to answer.
 View Profile Link to this post
Sigma

Posted Tue Apr 16, 2013, 9:36am

Thanks for the information. At this point, I'm just very torn. The Expobar looks like that slightly better value for money, but only 1 place in Canada sells/repairs them, which makes me hesitant.

I'll easily pull two or three triples in a row without issue, along with steaming, etc.

Do you find that the HX on the intake to be a selling/helpful features? Does it significantly help with recovery?
OttoMatic

Espresso: Brewtus IV-R
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario,...
Drip: Capresso MT500+
Roaster: Cast iron dutch oven
Posted Tue Apr 16, 2013, 10:56am

Sigma Said:

Thanks for the information. At this point, I'm just very torn. The Expobar looks like that slightly better value for money, but only 1 place in Canada sells/repairs them, which makes me hesitant.

Do you find that the HX on the intake to be a selling/helpful features? Does it significantly help with recovery?

Posted April 16, 2013 link

Yeah, it's a tough call, I'm sure.  If it makes you feel any better, there's only one place in the USA that sells & repairs them, and they're about as far away as you can get from my location!  If it were under warranty and free, I'd probably send it back to WLL.  But, my understanding is that these are generic and simple enough that any seasoned espresso machine tech could work on them (either the Expobar or the QM).  

About the HX on the intake -- I honestly don't know what difference it makes.  And, unfortunately, I don't have direct experience with any other DB machines, especially one without such a configuration.  My metrics on how temperature is affected are only by reading the PID; I don't have a separate thermometer on the brewhead.  If I set it to 196, it's going to stick there for the most part.  It'll dip to 195, but will recover quickly.  I suppose it could go to 194, but I don't think I've seen it go higher.  If you're interested, I could do a test for you; say, do something like pull 2.5 oz, wait 30 seconds, pull 2.5 ounces, wait 30 seconds, etc.  I could wait more or less, and repeat 5 times or whatever, so we could all really understand its recovery time.  I would do all of that with empty baskets --  no coffee would be harmed in this test!  Might even be easier to make a video.
Jmanespresso
Jmanespresso
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Alex Duetto II
Grinder: Compak K10 - Vario
Vac Pot: Yama-SY5/SY8/TCA5
Drip: V60, Beehouse, CCD
Roaster: Hottop B
Posted Tue Apr 16, 2013, 1:23pm

The small boiler argument has to do with two things.

Fresh brew water.

Quicker temp changes.

The idea is, there is less what in the boiler, so it takes less shots to refresh the boiler fully, therefore, less chance of "stale" water.  

The other part, is temp changes.  The smaller the boiler, the less water you need to change the temperature of when making adjustments.

-The only things Ive heard about stale water in the brew boiler, on any machine, is in speculation of it.  Ive personally never heard a brewtus owner, or VBM DD V1 owner(the DBs with huge brew boilers), complain.

As for temp changes..  Probably not a huge difference between machines.  Fact is, on any E61 dual boiler, you need to wait 10-12, even 15 minutes between temp changes for the machine to restabalize at the new temp.

I think the QM67 is much nicer looking machine than the Brewtus, and here in the states, the QM67 is sold by Chris Coffee, the Brewtus, by WholeLatteLove.  For ME, its no choice at all.  Chris Coffee, done.

Either machine will make you happy, they're both solid, easy to use espresso machines.  Choose the one YOU like more.

Follow Your Bliss

Coffee makes your constantly overcome your prejudices and re-evaluate your own "received wisdoms" when it comes to judging cup flavors. -Tom Owen, SweetMarias
 View Profile Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
tdifraia

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: QM67
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: Bunn
Posted Wed Apr 17, 2013, 6:51am

Ive had the QM 67 for 2 months now. The smaller Boilers are NOT a problem for me at all. They recover very fast. In seconds. By the time I am ready to pull a second shot the temps are back. The steam is good, but not great. I am able to steam 12 Oz of milk at the most, and then have to wait for my temps to come back (<2 minutes). It works better for me to do one drink at a time using 6 oz of milk. Like I said by the time I am ready for my next drink the temps are back. It recovers VERY fast. I have been pulling about 8-10 shots a day on average, with more than half milk drinks. Ive had small parties and have made as many as 10 drinks back to back with no waiting. I am a newbie and it takes me a few minutes to put my drinks together. I am using a Vario grinder. So far I am VERY happy with this machine, but it should be noted this is the first and only machine I have owned, so I have nothing to compare it to. I have been drinking espresso all my life and do know it consistently makes GREAT tasting shots. The dual PID is something I had to have, and am glad for it. It eliminates the guess work and allows me to dial in different temps for different blends. For me a PID is not an option, but a necessity. I purchased mine at Chris Coffee and he has answered every question I have asked quickly and accurately. C/S is top notch. Also for me the hot water works fine. I use 2 ounces at a time, wait 10 seconds and draw 2 more. You can do this without limit, so if I need 8 oz of hot water it takes me less than a minute. For me the smaller boilers are a plus, as it allows faster temp. recovery, and allows me to always have fresh water, as detention time is limited. Hope this helps.
Sigma

Posted Wed Apr 17, 2013, 7:22am

Very useful information, thanks!
Jmanespresso
Jmanespresso

Posted Wed Apr 17, 2013, 8:47am

The QM67 got a bad rap because of a couple articles written about it being slow to recover.  Its really not true, and thats an unfair assessment.

You cant compare the QM67 to an Alex Duetto or La Spaz Vivaldi, because those machines run on 20amp, and the QM67 on 15amp.  Furthermore, the Vivaldi is a full fledged commercial single group machine, originalyly designed for the restaurant owner or art gallery owner, or even a slow cafe, to have a solid, compact, easy to use machine that can handle small demand.  The Duetto, while designed with the home user in mind, on 20amp mode, is a monster.  You couldn't get ahead of it if you tried.  Either machine could handle a small to medium catering party with ease, running full bore, without issue.

The QM67, is designed purely for the home enthusiast.  Its 15amp, and vibe pump.  The vibe pump just means that its a tad slower to fill the boiler, so you cant just open the water tap full bore and let her empty, because you'll get ahead of the pump.  However, you will find that you won't use it a whole lot,most likely.  I personally really enjoy americano's, but I dont use the water tap to make them.  Only thing I use the hot water tap for, is to put a couple ounces into a cappuccino cup or latte cup before pulling the shot(as I only leave my demi's on the machine, bigger cups in cabinets).  But even if you do want to make americanos with the water tap, as was mentioned, 2oz, wait a second, 2oz, wait, etc etc.

As for steaming and brewing, no, you cant truly do both together.  The brew boiler heating element will alays take priority, so you need to make sure it doesn't come on when your steaming.  When you're steaming you want the steam boiler element to be energized the whole time, maintaining a least 1BAR pressure.

The way you accomplish this, is quite simple.  When making milk drinks, get everything prepped.  Portafilter, cold milk pitcher, hot cup.  While you're doing your prep, do a quick flush of the group to make the brew boiler element turn on.  Byt the time you're done with your shot prep, it will be off, and at the top of its cycle.  Lock in the PF, place the cup, purge the steam, start steaming your milk.  About halfway through, start the shot.  Finish the milk, finish the shot.  Now, you've got milk that was JUST finished, as well as a shot that was JUST finished.

Truth be told though, most people dont do both at once.  Do one, then the other.  Always do the milk first, because you let the milk wait for the espresso if you need too.  You dont want espresso to wait.  Its the same thing though, just make sure the brew boiler element doesn't engage while steaming, and you'll never not have enough steam power.

Really, in home use scenarios, you would have a hard time getting ahead of the QM67.  Even doing a little dinner party, if you follow the workflow I outlined, you'll knock out drinks 1,2,3, and you'll never have to wait for the machine to recover.

Follow Your Bliss

Coffee makes your constantly overcome your prejudices and re-evaluate your own "received wisdoms" when it comes to judging cup flavors. -Tom Owen, SweetMarias
Sigma

Posted Wed Apr 17, 2013, 9:24am

Very good information, thanks!

I've started (somewhat seriously) to look at the Alex Duetto 3. Realizing there really is no upper limit on what you can spend, it seems to be that little bit more. It has the 15/20amp option, etc. Do you think it's worth that little bit more?
Jmanespresso
Jmanespresso

Posted Wed Apr 17, 2013, 9:41am

For the Rotary pump alone, yes.

I like the QM67.  If it weren't for the vibe pump i probably would have bought it.

But Im in love with my Duetto.   Silent rotary pump, option for tank or plumb, 20amp operation to NEVER outrun the machine under any circumstance..

Yes, I do think its worth it.  But I also think the QM67 is a good machine.  If you can afford the Duetto, get it.  If not, dont feel shorted on gettin ghe QM67

Follow Your Bliss

Sigma

Posted Wed Apr 17, 2013, 9:55am

In 15amp mode, possible to outrun the Duetto?
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > QuickMill QM67...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.395397901535)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+