Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
I'm new to the community and just wanted to introduce myself and my machine!
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > I'm new to the...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
Mendozilla

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: 1993 Elektra T1
Grinder: Rancilio
Roaster: Stovetop Pot & Porcorn maker
Posted Tue Apr 16, 2013, 7:32pm
Subject: I'm new to the community and just wanted to introduce myself and my machine!

Hello community,
I'm here for two reasons: to keep learning and I love coffee.
My machine is a 1993 Elektra T1 and it's pair with a Rancilio Rocky Grinder.

I'm planning to change my machine soon, and i'll need some advice on a replacement but that'll be matter of another topic I guess.
Best regards, Mendozilla.

Mendozilla: IMAG0147.jpg
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Link to this post
SSgt93

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Tue Apr 16, 2013, 8:29pm
Subject: Re: I'm new to the community and just wanted to introduce myself and my machine!

Welcome!
Mendozilla

Posted Tue Apr 16, 2013, 8:58pm
Subject: Re: I'm new to the community and just wanted to introduce myself and my machine!

Thank you!
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Tue Apr 16, 2013, 9:10pm

Welcome, I would replace the grinder first and see if you don't like your machine better.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
qualin
qualin

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto 3
Grinder: Mazzer Mini Elect. Type A
Vac Pot: Looking to buy
Drip: Manual
Roaster: Considering?
Posted Tue Apr 16, 2013, 10:28pm

Wooow.. That's a really nice machine.

To use another one of my famously bad analogies, What you have there is a F1 formula racer with truck tires.

Ditch that Rocky ASAP and replace it with a used Super Jolly if you can. It'll make that machine shine.

So, I'm curious, why on Earth would you want to replace such a beautiful machine? There are companies who can rebuild
machines like that, not cheaply, but cheaper than for what you'd pay for one of those machines new.  

Some one of the best espresso I've ever had was from a machine at least half my age.. and that's saying something! :)

Garbage In, Garbage Out, for every step of the process. From Beans to grinder, grounds to machine, coffee to cup.
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4, Pharos,...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Wed Apr 17, 2013, 5:01am

Coffeenoobie Said:

Welcome, I would replace the grinder first and see if you don't like your machine better.

Posted April 16, 2013 link

+1

Actually, I like Bud's analogy :)  
(In case you haven't figured it out, your T1 is the F1 racer and your Rocky is the "truck tires").

Seriously though, if you've got the cash around for a better grinder, you should ditch that Rocky like it's got the plague.  Get something stepless or nearly stepless and then you'll see what you're missing with the Rocky...no more dose modification to get the extraction to run right.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
Jmanespresso
Jmanespresso

Espresso: Alex Duetto II
Grinder: Compak K10 - Vario
Vac Pot: Yama-SY5/SY8/TCA5
Drip: V60, Beehouse, CCD
Roaster: Hottop B
Posted Wed Apr 17, 2013, 7:34am

Yeah another vote for a new grinder.

Even coming from a Dual Boiler fanboy, the Elektra machines are great.  They're capable of TRULY wonderful coffee if the grinder is worthwhile.

Honestly thats a machine worthy of a Titan grinder.  Mazzer Major, Fiorenzato Doge 83, Anfim Super Camiano, or a Titan Conical, Mazzer Kony, Compak K10, Fiorenzato Doge Conico, Mazzer Robur.

Those grinders are more or less the top grinders on the market right now.  First three are flat burrs, last four are conical burrs.  There is debate over which is better, and in general, the large conicals rule the house..  But, being someone who now owns a large conical for about a month, and who owned a Titan Flat(mazzer MAjor)for about four years, I can say for sure, its not as simple as "COnical beats Flat".   What IS for certain, is that when you're talking about huge burrs, there is small differences.  

Those 7 grinders, any one of them, would chomp the rocky for an appetizer without a moments thought.  

To make an analogy:

Rocky is too a childs triclycle, as Titan Grinders are to a 21 speed mountain bike.
-Both of them will allow you to pedal to the store, and back home, but one is a constant struggle, and you'll likely have a couple cuts and bruises by the time you arrive, whereas the other is designed for exactly what you're doing, and it does so effortlessly.

Follow Your Bliss

Coffee makes your constantly overcome your prejudices and re-evaluate your own "received wisdoms" when it comes to judging cup flavors. -Tom Owen, SweetMarias
 View Profile Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
EndTwo

Espresso: Apscaso uno steel prof
Grinder: Mazzer Major DR + Mahlkönig...
Drip: french press, ceramic v60...
Roaster: skillet
Posted Wed Apr 17, 2013, 7:58am

My god, I love the look of that machine... but yeah, get new grinder.
Mendozilla

Posted Wed Apr 17, 2013, 6:03pm

Wow! :) I guess we all agree I need to replace my grinder, I'm starting to regret selling all the Fiorenzatos, Mazers, Cimbally I even had a hibrid. A few machines have pass through my hands as well and I have to agree the this Elektra has given me the better tasting coffee with the least effort to make it right. The other machine I really liked as well is the old Pasquini Livietta.

Two reasons I was thinking of a change, The machine needs to be connected to a water line and right now I just have a water container on the side of the machine, for some reason with this setup the pressure goes from 9 bars to about 14 bars and I still manage to get excellent shots from it but I do worry that so much pressure might no be good for the machine.
The other reason not as strong either is the 2000 watt rating.

For that, I was thinking that there could be really a machine out there with a lower profile perhaps without sacrificing the quality that Elektra offers but after reading you comments I'm really inclining to keep it and rather invest on the grinder and a water connection.

Thank you all for your comments and I really enjoy the way you guys put things on perspective.
s_lovan2
s_lovan2

Espresso: Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: Vario
Posted Wed Apr 17, 2013, 7:24pm

Welcome! I am new here as well but have been lurking for a long time on here and H-B. You have an awesome machine and you should post some shots after you get rid of your off-road tires! :D
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > I'm new to the...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.444550991058)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+