Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Plumbing Question
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Plumbing...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
qualin
qualin
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto 3
Grinder: Mazzer Mini Elect. Type A
Vac Pot: Looking to buy
Drip: Manual
Roaster: Considering?
Posted Sun Apr 14, 2013, 12:26am
Subject: Plumbing Question

OK, I'm getting a little frustrated and I'm not sure what to do.

I've been waiting close to a month for the plumber to get the right fittings for my machine, but this is getting nuts. I could fly to the UK, get what I want and fly back in less time than this.

I lost my patience and went to a plumbing supply warehouse where I described what I was trying to do. I picked up the following fittings:
3/8" NPT Female to 1/2" NPT Male 90-degree x 1  .. (Connects to underside of espresso machine)
1/2" NPT Male to 3/8" NPT Female x 2 ... (Each one connects to each valve on the canister water softener)
Dishwasher Supply Hose x 2

Just as I thought, Nothing quite fits. The diameter is correct, the thread count is wrong. Even with three layers of Teflon tape on the threads, two turns and they go in but they still leak slowly.
Thought I'd try it but this confirms that everything, the espresso machine and the canister water softener are all using BSP threads.

Where on Earth can I find the right adapter fittings to go from NPT to BSP thread? (Any Recommended suppliers in Canada I can use?)

Here's what I need:

Male 1/2" NPT to Female 3/8" BSP x 2
90 degree Female 3/8" BSP to Male 1/2" NPT

I have no idea even where to get hoses, so I figured that at least I could use "Dishwasher" style hoses since everyone seems to sell them. They're 1/2" NPT female on each end and steel braided.
I thought it was worth at least a try because the hoses were the expensive parts, the fittings weren't that expensive, probably less than $10 for everything.

Thank you.

Garbage In, Garbage Out, for every step of the process. From Beans to grinder, grounds to machine, coffee to cup.
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
SSgt93

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Sun Apr 14, 2013, 9:43am
Subject: Re: Plumbing Question

Click Here (www.stainlesssteelfittings.com) Should have them (not affiliated).
 View Profile Link to this post
CoffeeRon
CoffeeRon

Espresso: Wega Lyra, Europiccola(still...
Grinder: Macap M7D, Pharos, Vario W,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam CoffeeMaster
Drip: Melita BCM-4
Roaster: FR SR500,B-1600, SC/TO
Posted Sun Apr 14, 2013, 11:30am

I would suggest you give Espresso parts NW a call and tell them what you're trying to do, they should be able to hook you up no problem. http://www.espressoparts.com/
   Good luck, Ron

Edit to add: I don't know about the possible shipping problems to Canada- if nothing else maybe they could tell you exactly what you need to ask for and/or give you the name of a Canadian supplier.
onthego
onthego

Espresso: Salvatore One Black, Silvia...
Grinder: Macap M4 Stepless, Rocky DL,...
Drip: Krups
Posted Sun Apr 14, 2013, 4:31pm

CoffeeRon Said:

I would suggest you give Espresso parts NW a call and tell them what you're trying to do, they should be able to hook you up no problem. http://www.espressoparts.com/
   Good luck, Ron  

Posted April 14, 2013 link

Stefanos is another good source for fittings.
Click Here (espressocare.com)
SStones
SStones
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Giga 5, ECM Giotto, Rocket...
Grinder: Anfim Milano-Best
Vac Pot: No  :(
Drip: Some $30 thing from Walmart
Roaster: I buy pre-roasted.
Posted Sun Apr 14, 2013, 5:04pm

You should be able to only convert once.  If your softener is american, use NPT hoses to it and convert once going to the machone. If the softener is euro, convert between the plumbing and the softener and stay BSP between it and the machine. Your plumber is trying to nickel and dime you on brass fittings.
Convert once if you need to. Converting more than once is obviously...  Well, would you exchange your money to euros and then convert those to american dollars when going to the US?
You can get one hose with female NPT on one end for your american shut off valve at your wall, and a female BSP to go to your softener (Assuming it too is euro), then stay BSP because the machine is euro, also.
I will see what my guys have in the vans, tomorrow, and I'll post again. Hang tight.
qualin
qualin

Posted Sun Apr 14, 2013, 5:17pm

SStones Said:

You should be able to only convert once.

OK, I would prefer to use a BSP to BSP hose from the espresso machine to the softener if I could, but they seem to be rarer than hens teeth around here.

I thought I should mention, the plumber borrowed the hose which came with the machine, but it's a moot point because it is too short anyway.

SStones Said:

If the softener is euro, convert between the plumbing and the softener and stay BSP between it and the machine.

Yeah, the Softener is Euro, the clue to that is that the instruction book is in Italian, but it seems pretty straightforward on how to use.

SStones Said:

You can get one hose with female NPT on one end for your american shut off valve at your wall, and a female BSP to go to your softener

Any ideas where I can find a hose like that? Seems easier just to buy an adapter and use a conventional NPT/NPT hose.

SStones Said:

I will see what my guys have in the vans, tomorrow, and I'll post again. Hang tight.

Excellent. I sure will.

BTW, Thanks for the input everyone.

Garbage In, Garbage Out, for every step of the process. From Beans to grinder, grounds to machine, coffee to cup.
jroach

Espresso: Elektra Micro Casa,...
Grinder: La Cimbali 6S, Baratza...
Drip: EVA Solo, Moka, Press Pot,...
Posted Sun Apr 14, 2013, 6:03pm

You could also go from BSP to tube (barb fitting) and match the tube.  Just make sure you have tubing that is rated for 60psi or more.  (These would be reinforced, most non-reinforced would only be good to maybe 20psi depending on the diameter.)  

You can go to McMaster-Carr website, the're in New Jersey so I don't know about shipping to Canada. The would have most everything you need to do it yourself.  They have some BSP to NPT but not very extensive.   I'm not sure about your connection to a dishwasher supply hose, I'm not sure it is NPT?  

I'm in the process of plumbing mine up so I was going through the fittings last week.  Although I went from an old washing machine supply (GHT) to NPT (Filter) to BSP (Machine).  

Good Luck  

Jim
skydragondave

Espresso: Commercial Only
Grinder: Commercial Only
Roaster: Has Garanti HG5
Posted Sun Apr 14, 2013, 7:37pm

Qualin,
Whereabouts in Canada are you?
Nuova Ricambi carries the adapter fittings as does Ascaso factory.
Astra M Group is an authorized dealer for both of those manufacturers.
They are located in Mississauga near Toronto.
I have received outstanding service from them. Ask for Krassy and tell her Dave from Latte 911 sent you.
You will not be disappointed.
Best of luck.

BTW: Nuova Ricambi part numbers for the following items:

3/8 compression to 3/8BSP or Italian: 300055
3/8 Flare to 3/8BSP or Italian: 300056

Less than $10 each. PM me for the website link and phone number.
qualin
qualin

Posted Mon Apr 15, 2013, 5:00pm

skydragondave Said:

Qualin, Whereabouts in Canada are you?

Calgary, AB.. a bit of a ways away from Toronto. :)

Thanks for the info though.

skydragondave

Espresso: Commercial Only
Grinder: Commercial Only
Roaster: Has Garanti HG5
Posted Mon Apr 15, 2013, 5:23pm

Shipping for these items will be very reasonable, less than $10 and a couple days wait.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Plumbing...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.477709054947)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+