Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
QuickMill QM67 v. Expobar Brewtus iv
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > QuickMill QM67...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
Author Messages
Sigma

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Mon Apr 15, 2013, 4:42pm
Subject: QuickMill QM67 v. Expobar Brewtus iv

After lots of research and reading, I've decided on a DB PID machine as my next upgrade.

I've realized that my decision has come down to a few key points between the QuickMill QM67 and the Brewtus iv (vibe). I can't afford more than the Brewtus, so it's really down to these two machines. My biggest concerns are:
* Boiler size on QM67 seems small. Is it an issue?
* Cannot draw more than 6oz of water without recovery on the QM67. This seems like a bit of a deal breaker, as 6oz is a tiny amount.
* Brewtus iv has DB+HX on the input "cold" boiler water. The claim is, it's almost impossible to outrun the boilers because of this. Is this really true?

Or is there something else at the $2k CAD price point I should really consider? Plumb in is not a concern. Nor can I really afford it + rotary pump.
 View Profile Link to this post
SSgt93

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Mon Apr 15, 2013, 5:20pm
Subject: Re: QuickMill QM67 v. Expobar Brewtus iv

La Spaziale
Sigma

Posted Mon Apr 15, 2013, 5:41pm

Way over budget :(
jamierayo

Espresso: Breville DB, Rancilio Silvia
Grinder: Mazzer Major, Mini E,...
Drip: Aeropress, Kalita Wave
Roaster: iRoast2, Behmor
Posted Mon Apr 15, 2013, 6:16pm

I looked at the QM too, but had the same concerns about boiler size. The steam boiler is pretty small too.

For a dual boiler on a budget, the refurbished Brewtus (vibe/tank) would be hard to pass up. Whole Latte Love has them for around $1500.
CSME9
CSME9

Espresso: Isomac Tea, Rancilio Silvia,...
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky
Drip: Moka Pot
Roaster: BBQ Roaster
Posted Mon Apr 15, 2013, 7:02pm

I have used both machines. According to my tastebuds the Brewtus makes a better espresso,  one hole steam tip steams slower and produces silkier froth. Fit and finish on the QM was better.
Sigma

Posted Mon Apr 15, 2013, 9:30pm

I have used both machines.

Very useful information, thanks. Did you find the boiler size on the QM67 to be an issue? Is the HX intake on the brewtus as good as 'they' say it is?

I looked at the refurbs, but I need it shipped to Canada. I spoke to someone who suggested it would start around $200. But no idea exactly how much brokerage fees would be incurred. Does anyone have a guesstimate?

I looked at the QM too, but had the same concerns about boiler size. The steam boiler is pretty small too.

What did you end up with?
jamierayo

Espresso: Breville DB, Rancilio Silvia
Grinder: Mazzer Major, Mini E,...
Drip: Aeropress, Kalita Wave
Roaster: iRoast2, Behmor
Posted Mon Apr 15, 2013, 10:18pm

Sigma Said:

What did you end up with?

Posted April 15, 2013 link

A Breville Dual Boiler :-0

The Breville too has small boilers. It also has the H/X feeding the brew boiler, but that doesn't make the supply endless. This has never been a problem for me when pulling shots, but if I use the water tap for an americano, the PID display will start to flash, indicating boiler recovery.

I rarely pull more than two doubles in succession, I don't often make Americanos ( if I do, it's only one), and I usually steam only very small amounts of milk at once, so the boiler sizes turned out to be a mute point for me anyhow.

If you plan to do much latte art, you may want to inquire about simultaneous brew/steam ability of the machines. This is one thing the Breville doesn't do well.

The QM is obviously a very different machine from the Breville, so I doubt this info will be of much use.
CSME9
CSME9

Espresso: Isomac Tea, Rancilio Silvia,...
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky
Drip: Moka Pot
Roaster: BBQ Roaster
Posted Tue Apr 16, 2013, 4:33am

Very useful information, thanks. Did you find the boiler size on the QM67 to be an issue? Is the HX intake on the brewtus as good as 'they' say it is?

Steaming 6-8 oz of milk the QM  boiler does ok, recovers quickly due to 1400 watt heater. The Brewt steamed the same quantities 10 second faster and boiler temp was more stable. The brew temp PID setting was rock solid + - 1 deg. The QM fluctuated 3 to 4 degrees at idle and during a shot.
sharky
sharky

Espresso: QM Vetrano 2B
Grinder: Compak K3 Touch
Posted Tue Apr 16, 2013, 6:40am

After viewing various coffee sites, I have read a number of complaints about build quality on the Brewtus.  For me, it is not the most attractive machine by any means . . . especially when compared with the QM 67 or the new Vetrano 2B.  It does look like a 'brute' on your counter!  When you are in the $2000 range comparing machines, they are all capable of producing 'god' shots & perfect microfoam. So then it's down to which machine looks better on your counter . . . and IMO, the QM espresso machines win hands down!
Sigma

Posted Tue Apr 16, 2013, 7:31am

Steaming 6-8 oz of milk the QM  boiler does ok, recovers quickly due to 1400 watt heater. The Brewt steamed the same quantities 10 second faster and boiler temp was more stable. The brew temp PID setting was rock solid + - 1 deg. The QM fluctuated 3 to 4 degrees at idle and during a shot.

Huh...that's a pretty profound difference to be honest.

After viewing various coffee sites, I have read a number of complaints about build quality on the Brewtus.

Hmmm that is concerning. What kind of issues?
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > QuickMill QM67...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.385222196579)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+