Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
La Nuova Era Cuadra Owners Thread
Italian Coffee
Italian coffee beans, grinds and pods from Kimbo, LavAzza, Miscela d'Oro & Bristot. Qty. discounts!
www.espressozone.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > La Nuova Era...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 92 of 129 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
slybarman
slybarman
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Sat Apr 13, 2013, 11:07am
Subject: Re: La Nuova Era Cuadra Owners Thread

Yeah, had to take the kids to swim lessons, but I will reach out to Jim @1st line later today.
 View Profile Link to this post
Iluvdabean
Iluvdabean

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra/Gaggia...
Grinder: Baratza Preciso/K-A Pro...
Drip: Bonavita BV 1800 TH
Roaster: Nesco 1010/Behmor 1600
Posted Sun Apr 14, 2013, 9:24am

To me machines are meant to be used. Its a tool is all it is,even though its so much more as we admire machining,parts,form and function.Living with this machine just gets better everyday,
This morning I got up and made myself a great double Latte of Verve " The Sermon" then made one more for myself and my son. Wife's up now also and I ended up making seven so far and oh  so effortlessly.
Beautiful thing is they were all consistent. Steam...oh wow...steam did you say,this things a steaming monster. I could seriously see this machine in an entertainment situation and a lot of people want coffee,no
problem. Easy clean up and using it is easy with the water flush,which frankly I kind of enjoy that part. What a joy to use. When you factor in standard parts with not to much computerization and the E-61
this really is such a bargain. I go to 1st-Line and watch as the number of these at this price dwindles. This will probably go down in espresso machine bargain history as one of the better deals. If your sitting on the fence
my advice is dont these won't be at this price forever.
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Link to this post
SStones
SStones
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Giga 5, ECM Giotto, Rocket...
Grinder: Anfim Milano-Best
Vac Pot: No  :(
Drip: Some $30 thing from Walmart
Roaster: I buy pre-roasted.
Posted Sun Apr 14, 2013, 5:15pm

It will be that little relay.
If its out of warranty, you may want to replace it with something better, like a good 20 amp solid state relay.
slybarman
slybarman

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Sun Apr 14, 2013, 5:23pm

SStones Said:

If its out of warranty, you may want to replace it with something better, like a good 20 amp solid state relay.

Posted April 14, 2013 link

Yes, I expect you are correct and you did warn warn me so a few weeks ago.
pfn

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra II
Grinder: KA Proline w/ Mazzer Mini...
Posted Mon Apr 15, 2013, 6:42am

SStones Said:

Do you have a good recommendation for a part number? This is something I'd like to consider doing preemptively.
pfn

Posted Mon Apr 15, 2013, 6:55am

I was thinking about the pain that the documented de-scaling method is and thought if there might be a more convenient way...

What if, instead of doing the prescribed method that involves drawing only 4oz from the boiler at a time, I were to:

1) Turn off and let machine cool down
2) Pour descaling solution in tank, let it draw into the boiler and HX tube (potentially follow the steps below to avoid the 4oz purging cycle?)
3) Turn off and let machine cool down and soak in descaler overnight (do all the tilting things as necessary to get good coverage)
4) Disconnect heating element
5) Disconnect water level sensor
6) Open hot-water wand, make sure steam wand is sealed
7) Turn on machine and let the boiler pump purge the boiler

The reason drawing water from the boiler while the pump is on is discouraged is due to the possibility of the heating element overheating when water gets pulled too low. The water level sensor needs to be disconnected in order to force the pump to run, and as a result, water should be forced out of the hot water dispenser. The water level itself should not change, ultimately, as the boiler itself is otherwise sealed: water pumped in = water volume forced out. With these considerations in mind; it seems like this method wouldn't affect the heating element, as it is not connected, and even if it were, the water level would not be changing throughout this exercise, the heating element would not be exposed at any time.

On second thought, would it be advantageous to leave the heating element connected in this situation? The heated descaling solution could do a better job cleaning during the final flush? Even if the boiler were to reach temperature, because there's a pressure outlet (hot water wand) the water level still shouldn't be affected?

What does everyone think? I really want to descale on a regular basis since water is so hard here, but really don't look forward to the hours of effort that others have mentioned or alluded to.
Iluvdabean
Iluvdabean

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra/Gaggia...
Grinder: Baratza Preciso/K-A Pro...
Drip: Bonavita BV 1800 TH
Roaster: Nesco 1010/Behmor 1600
Posted Mon Apr 15, 2013, 11:00am

Is that what Jim at 1st-Line said or is that your idea on descaling ????  Are you using these, the in tank softener and the  BILT OSCAR 150 in a large pitcher/dispenser using Crystal Geyser Alpine Spring water?

Steve

pfn Said:

I was thinking about the pain that the documented de-scaling method is and thought if there might be a more convenient way...

What if, instead of doing the prescribed method that involves drawing only 4oz from the boiler at a time, I were to:

2) Pour descaling solution in tank, let it draw into the boiler and HX tube (potentially follow the steps below to avoid the 4oz purging cycle?)
3) Turn off and let machine cool down and soak in descaler overnight (do all the tilting things as necessary to get good coverage)

The reason drawing water from the boiler while the pump is on is discouraged is due to the possibility of the heating element overheating when water gets pulled too low. The water level sensor needs to be disconnected in order to force the pump to run, and as a result, water should be forced out of the hot water dispenser. The water level itself should not change, ultimately, as the boiler itself is otherwise sealed: water pumped in = water volume forced out. With these considerations in mind; it seems like this method wouldn't affect the heating element, as it is not connected, and even if it were, the water level would not be changing throughout this exercise, the heating element would not be exposed at any time.

On second thought, would it be advantageous to leave the heating element connected in this situation? The heated descaling solution could do a better job cleaning during the final flush? Even if the boiler were to reach temperature, because there's a pressure outlet (hot water wand) the water level still shouldn't be affected?

What does everyone think? I really want to descale on a regular basis since water is so hard here, but really don't look forward to the hours of effort that others have mentioned or alluded to.

Posted April 15, 2013 link

View Profile Contact via ICQ Link to this post
pfn

Posted Mon Apr 15, 2013, 11:25am

Iluvdabean Said:

Is that what Jim at 1st-Line said or is that your idea on descaling ????  Are you using these, the in tank softener and the  BILT OSCAR 150 in a large pitcher/dispenser using Crystal Geyser Alpine Spring water?

Steve

I did not mean to say nor imply that 1st-line provides these steps; these are my musings on whether it would be a reasonable and practical procedure.

I'm using the built-in tank softener, and use a mix of RO:Tap about 3:1 or 2:1
1stline
1stline

Espresso: Undisclosed
Grinder: Indisclosed
Vac Pot: Bodum Electric
Drip: None
Roaster: None
Posted Mon Apr 15, 2013, 12:53pm

pfn Said:

The 2 disconnections can be done immediately after the solution is placed into the reservoir as you can allow the solution to go to the top of the boiler. However, all terminal wires should be covered with black tape so as to avoid any touching of the metal on machine. I would not let sit for more than 20 minutes as some descalers will eat away at the seals or metal. In addition, we do not publicize this method because when we did have these published for Vibiemme, many customers had leakage through the vacuum valve, which spitted water on an electrical terminal which would short an electrical part or create a large spark. hence, this procedure would be at one's own risk.

Sincerely,
Jim Piccinich
Business Partner
1st-line Equipment, LLC
www.1st-line.com

Follow us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/1stline
Twitter: http://twitter.com/1stline
Blog: http://1st-line.blogspot.com/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/1stlineespresso
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
1stline
1stline

Espresso: Undisclosed
Grinder: Indisclosed
Vac Pot: Bodum Electric
Drip: None
Roaster: None
Posted Mon Apr 15, 2013, 12:54pm

SStones Said:

Most likely this part, but the machine needs to be checked with a multimeter.

Sincerely,
Jim Piccinich
Business Partner
1st-line Equipment, LLC
www.1st-line.com

Follow us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/1stline
Twitter: http://twitter.com/1stline
Blog: http://1st-line.blogspot.com/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/1stlineespresso
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
showing page 92 of 129 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > La Nuova Era...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Quick Mill Andreja
Best bang for the buck in E-61 Espresso Machines.  In stock, free shipping, 2 yr warranty!
cupandbrew.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.525747060776)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+