Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Pressure showing 0 bars - Lelit PL41EM V2
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Pressure showing...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
Phrasemonger

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Mon Apr 15, 2013, 9:51am
Subject: Re: Pressure showing 0 bars - Lelit PL41EM V2

Yeah, it doesn't seem to do much, but hopefully I'll sort it out tonight and figure out exactly what the issue is. At least now I've narrowed it down a bit - thanks so much for your help! Also, good call on the blind pf basket/insert - I'll totally pick one up tonight!

I'm picking up a Baratza Preciso grinder - I've been told that in my price range, it's a pretty solid option.
 View Profile Link to this post
pfn

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra II
Grinder: KA Proline w/ Mazzer Mini...
Posted Mon Apr 15, 2013, 10:14am

Put a backflush blank in the portafilter and read the pressure.

You're probably grinding super loose--is the espresso gushing from the portafilter when pulling?

edit: oh, looks like someone already mentioned a backflush blank.
Phrasemonger

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Mon Apr 15, 2013, 10:17am

Yup! It's coming out like the great flood. I fill an espresso cup to the brim in like 6 seconds, so calling it espresso would be a stretch. That's why I'm really hoping it's just a grind/bean issue, but we'll definitely see tonight when I pick up my own grinder and some fresh beans.

Like I said, the only reason I was using those old beans was to get a feel for tamping/using the machine - I have no idea how old they actually are, or if they're even close to a proper espresso grind.
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4, Pharos,...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Mon Apr 15, 2013, 11:03am

glad we caught you in time to add the backflush blind insert to your shopping list.  I'd probably use it to check the machine before running any beans through the new grinder.

yeah, the Preciso should work well for you.  Remember that fresh in coffee beans means roasted within the past 15 days or so and ground within 15 minutes of use - especially important when it comes to espresso.  Those old grinds are killing you.  The good news is, you won't have to "flush" your grinder free of them, since you're getting a new one.  It'll take some time to break in the new grinder, probably a few pounds of coffee...of course, it'll take you at least a few pulls to get it dialed in just right anyhow.

Sometimes Precisos need to be calibrated by the user.  Baratza has some great online support tools for this grinder, so don't hesitate to go to their site if things are less than acceptable right off the bat.

Good luck!  Let us know how things go.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Pressure showing...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.381591081619)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+