Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Breville Dual Boiler BES900XL Owners Thread
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville Dual...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 185 of 261 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
Zevi

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Quick Mill Vetrano 2B
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Fri Apr 12, 2013, 10:47am
Subject: Re: Breville Dual Boiler BES900XL Owners Thread

hotwasabipeas Said:

Here's the new dual boiler from Breville at SCAA: The Oracle BES980XL.   Built-in grinder and it auto-tamps and froths milks automatically too.  It looks cool but I hope it doesn't take the place of the current Dual Boiler.

Posted April 12, 2013 link

At $2000 vs. $1200 and with such different functionality -- there's no way it would be the 900 replacement.
 View Profile Link to this post
cuznvin

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: MACAP M4 Stepless /Baratza...
Drip: YouBrew
Posted Fri Apr 12, 2013, 10:56am

Zevi Said:

At $2000 vs. $1200 and with such different functionality -- there's no way it would be the 900 replacement.

How do you know it is $2000?
cuznvin

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: MACAP M4 Stepless /Baratza...
Drip: YouBrew
Posted Fri Apr 12, 2013, 11:04am

Oracle BES980XL

cuznvin: untitled.JPG
(Click for larger image)
Zevi

Espresso: Quick Mill Vetrano 2B
Posted Fri Apr 12, 2013, 11:20am

cuznvin Said:

How do you know it is $2000?

Look at the sign at the bottom-right next to the machine  (http://img837.imageshack.us/img837/5122/brevilleoracle.jpg)
MerleApAmber

Espresso: Breville BES900
Grinder: Baratza Preciso + Esatto
Vac Pot: Yuma
Drip: bah-humbug
Roaster: Hot Top 2K P
Posted Fri Apr 12, 2013, 11:40am

Iluvdabean Said:

Maybe you can get some perks or something....???? An inconvenience reward or something......dont ya think.

Posted April 11, 2013 link

hehee... maybe a tee shirt with something like "I went shopping for an espresso maker and all I got for my effort was great customer service?"

</wink
MerleApAmber

Espresso: Breville BES900
Grinder: Baratza Preciso + Esatto
Vac Pot: Yuma
Drip: bah-humbug
Roaster: Hot Top 2K P
Posted Fri Apr 12, 2013, 11:52am

hotwasabipeas Said:

Here's the new dual boiler from Breville at SCAA: The Oracle BES980XL.   Built-in grinder and it auto-tamps and froths milks automatically too.  It looks cool but I hope it doesn't take the place of the current Dual Boiler.

</Agrees.
I wouldn't be interested, simply because I wouldn't put a grinder on board. And I'll use my native skills to make smooth microfoam.  But then, I'm not every body. Yes, I'd have to nod toward the possible higher cost of ownership/maintenance after the purchase too.

It does carry forward the smart look of the 900 though: and I do like the looks of the grinder scale / milk temperature scale displays.
... moving on...
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Fri Apr 12, 2013, 12:38pm

So this new "Oracle" is the new machine or is there another to be released (dual boilers, rotary pump, de-scalability etc??). At the Oracles price point kinda pointless, built in grinders are never good and this looks like it's pry similar to the Smart Grind which is just barely adequate for espresso in itself and usually you have to play with dose to make up for it's limits. Buy the BES 900 and a Vario for cheaper and you'll have a far better setup.... so am I missing something lol??

BTW Amazon.ca has a sale right now for $700 for the BES900.... crazy bargain. Personally I was hoping they'd have a more beefed up/newer version of the Smart Grinder to compete with say the Baratza Preciso, that's were Breville is lacking. Smart Grinder looks awesome, way easy to use and adjust for grind, and some nifty features (locking hopper that even some $$$ grinders don't have), and it's the perfect match looks wise to the DB and to fit in with the look of your normal nice kitchen (which in general Breville buyers love that blending in look).... but it's just lacking the ability to have more adjustment for espresso and a more powerful motor.

Gotta say though, I've know a few other owners now of the DB and none have issues or even the Err1 glitch. One has two (home/office) and office one get's used like nutz and that was bought new for the home when they came out and then switched to office use when he bought another. Some of the others I met were b/c of one friend of theirs that got one and others just followed lol, we were talking coffee at fiances work party when I showed them my setup and that's how it got brought up, there was like 3 or 4 of them that bought BDB lol.

If Breville can pull off a new version with rotary pump and ability to descale yourself (which is really the only main concern from coffee freaks), they can hit it out of the ball park.
hotwasabipeas
hotwasabipeas
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: NS Oscar
Grinder: KitchenAid ProLine
Drip: Keurig Vue, B70,Tassimo T65,...
Roaster: Wear Ever Popcorn Pumper...
Posted Fri Apr 12, 2013, 3:28pm

You're right.  This can't be the newer version of the BDB. It's $2000! The grinder bin is the same design as the new BES870 which is the newest verison of the Breville Barista Express.  Here's a video of that new machine: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pydKENqWL4

Please visit my website!

www.planetwasabi.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
john_ertw

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Quickmill Vetrano
Posted Fri Apr 12, 2013, 3:35pm

I think they are marketing this against super autos.  It will likely produce a better result without the requirement of doing too much more than a super auto.  If anything this machine might go to someone who's on the fence between super auto and semi, but is afraid of their lack of skills.  It would likely turn a lot of them into home baristas in their future purchases.

I was hoping to see a dual boiler, rotary, descalable version of the current dual boiler.  I think Breville is innovating in the consumer market with their higher end espresso machines.
fredk01

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Saeco Aroma
Grinder: OE Pharos
Posted Fri Apr 12, 2013, 3:54pm

CMIN Said:

BTW Amazon.ca has a sale right now for $700 for the BES900.... crazy bargain...

Is this for real???  There is no information attached to the listing.  Shipping is also listed as 1-2 months.

If it is a brand new fully warrantied product that's an amazing deal.  If it is refurbished without warranty, not so good.
showing page 185 of 261 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville Dual...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.450141906738)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+