Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
La Nuova Era Cuadra Owners Thread
Oy, Don't Forget the Tea
Because not everyone drinks coffee.  Organic, English Breakfast tea, as low as $16/lb.
www.coffeeproject.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > La Nuova Era...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 128 of 130 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
r_g

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Nuova Cuadra
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Thu Feb 6, 2014, 6:23am
Subject: Re: La Nuova Era Cuadra Owners Thread

SStones Said:

So it sounds like your Blues are live and your Browns are neutral. You can confirm this if you check the AC voltage between the Blue and ground.  If the machine is wired incorrectly, this should be solved first. It would be as simple as switching the wires at the fuse holder.

Then, yes. Once it is wired correctly, reconfirm that the element is the short and replace the element. (It certainly sounds like the element is the short from your quote above).

Posted February 6, 2014 link

It doesn't look like that. The voltage between blue and ground is zero and between brown and ground is 120 so the wiring seems good.
 View Profile Link to this post
kajitox

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra II
Drip: Bodom French Press,...
Posted Mon Feb 10, 2014, 7:56am

Cuadrites, I could use your expertise.

I did my first descaling (not really much to report, I have pretty good water in SF Bay Area), but now my machine is idling ~10 degrees lower than usual (194F). I did my research first and almost everyone says "thermosyphon stall, you were pulling water too quickly through the group", which sounded plausible enough. However, I've tried to do many long flushes to get the stall out and it still is stuck.

Admittedly, it WAS stuck at 165F before I did 3-4 long (5-10 second) flushes. Do you all think I should flush for longer? Is there anything else that can affect this, keeping in mind that all I have done since the change happened was a descaling?
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
1stline
1stline
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Undisclosed
Grinder: Indisclosed
Vac Pot: Bodum Electric
Drip: None
Roaster: None
Posted Mon Feb 10, 2014, 10:38am

kajitox Said:

Cuadrites, I could use your expertise.

I did my first descaling (not really much to report, I have pretty good water in SF Bay Area), but now my machine is idling ~10 degrees lower than usual (194F). I did my research first and almost everyone says "thermosyphon stall, you were pulling water too quickly through the group", which sounded plausible enough. However, I've tried to do many long flushes to get the stall out and it still is stuck.

Admittedly, it WAS stuck at 165F before I did 3-4 long (5-10 second) flushes. Do you all think I should flush for longer? Is there anything else that can affect this, keeping in mind that all I have done since the change happened was a descaling?

Posted February 10, 2014 link

There is a restrictor, I believe in the upper thermosyphon tube at the point it connects to the boiler, and it may be blocked. With the unit cold, check the restrictor. Please note that not ALL Cuadras have this restrictor.

Sincerely,
Jim Piccinich
Business Partner
1st-line Equipment, LLC
www.1st-line.com

Follow us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/1stline
Twitter: http://twitter.com/1stline
Blog: http://1st-line.blogspot.com/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/1stlineespresso
SStones
SStones

Espresso: Giga 5, ECM Giotto, Rocket...
Grinder: Anfim Milano-Best
Vac Pot: No  :(
Drip: Some $30 thing from Walmart
Roaster: I buy pre-roasted.
Posted Mon Feb 10, 2014, 6:32pm

r_g Said:

It doesn't look like that. The voltage between blue and ground is zero and between brown and ground is 120 so the wiring seems good.

Posted February 6, 2014 link

Alright. I apologize for losing track, I have fixated on the possibly miswired thought. You have proven that not to be the case. Sorry.

So. I may be backtracking in retesting already considered components.

Pull the blue off the element to allow the machine to boilerfill normally without blowing the GFCI. Does this really not trip the GFCI?

In order for there to be current flowing through ground, there has to be a short between a conductor with some potential voltage. I am sorry that I'm probably not able to solve this. The suspected components would have to be Solenoid Valve, Powerboard, and Element (The pump is not grounded in any way unless it is submerged). AGAIN, though. None of these have power to them with the powerswitch off.
kajitox

Posted Mon Feb 10, 2014, 8:37pm

Thanks as always, Jim. I opened up the tube and mine does indeed have a restrictor. I didn't see anything junking it up (it all looked pretty clean, ignoring the grease), but maybe just opening it up did the trick. I've got the machine on now and I'll let you know if it comes up to the right idle temp after 45min-1 hr (I'm expecting about 204F, I haven't adjusted the pstat at all since receiving the machine).
kajitox

Posted Mon Feb 10, 2014, 9:50pm

1stline Said:

There is a restrictor, I believe in the upper thermosyphon tube at the point it connects to the boiler, and it may be blocked. With the unit cold, check the restrictor. Please note that not ALL Cuadras have this restrictor.

Well Jim, that did the trick. After an hour, it was perfectly idling at 204.0F. Let's assume for the sake of argument that nothing was blocking the flow restrictor. What else could this process have solved? Is it possible that I had a stubborn stall that was resolved after opening the thermosyphon system?
1stline
1stline

Posted Thu Feb 13, 2014, 11:37am

kajitox Said:

Well Jim, that did the trick. After an hour, it was perfectly idling at 204.0F. Let's assume for the sake of argument that nothing was blocking the flow restrictor. What else could this process have solved? Is it possible that I had a stubborn stall that was resolved after opening the thermosyphon system?

Chances are there was a particle blockage and it came out with the water. It could be sediment from the water softener. It could be 'leftover crap' from the manufacturing process. It could be a stubborn stall, but I think this is less likely?

Sincerely,
Jim Piccinich
Business Partner
1st-line Equipment, LLC
www.1st-line.com

MDiddy

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Technika IV Profi
Grinder: Baratza Forte AP
Drip: Cuisinart DCC-1200
Posted Mon Feb 17, 2014, 1:15pm

1stline Said:

I wonder how you figured that one out!  ;)

How's things buddy?  Hope the New Year is treating you well.
1stline
1stline

Posted Mon Feb 17, 2014, 1:44pm

MDiddy Said:

I wonder how you figured that one out!  ;)

How's things buddy?  Hope the New Year is treating you well.

Posted February 17, 2014 link

I learned this one from a customer in Philly!!! January has been rough! Data server crashes, backup server bad sector disks, power outages, and just a little bit of a LOT OF SNOW! Other than this, things are kickin!

Sincerely,
Jim Piccinich
Business Partner
1st-line Equipment, LLC
www.1st-line.com

TPicciotto

Posted Thu Apr 10, 2014, 8:32am

Has anyone replaced the handle on the stock portafilter that comes with the La Nuova Era Cuadra (V2)?  I would like to replace mine with a wood handle.  I can only find a 10 mm wood handle on-line (from ebay).  I am worried about damaging the original handle (don't have a vice grip) and if someone has done this already it would save me some time/hassle/money!

Thanks!

Update 4/10/14

I removed the handle using a Bunsen burner. I accidentally melted a bit of the old handle. There is no need to get as close as I got to it as the heat is distributed evenly through the body of the portafilter, including the bolt.  I then went to a hardware store and matched it to a 12mm bolt with a 1.75 thread.  So most likely all Nouva Era machines purchased in 2014 have these measurements!
showing page 128 of 130 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > La Nuova Era...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.469846963882)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+