Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Crossland CC1 owners--please help
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Crossland CC1...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
emil3m

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Vario
Posted Mon Apr 8, 2013, 4:23am
Subject: Crossland CC1 owners--please help

Would you please share how do you go about programming the temp/pre brew/wait/pull settings? I went through lots of beans (LOTS) and am thoroughly confused.. Not to mention sleep deprived and high-strung on a caffeine rush. Can't seem to get that, thick, viscous, and dark goodness I see on videos..
Grinder: Baratza Vario.

Also, the first two times I either used too fine of a grind or tamped too hard and water did not come through--what happens in that situation? Is that damaging?

Currently in love with Hayes Valley by Blue Bottle--locally roasted next to my house in Brooklyn
 View Profile Link to this post
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Mon Apr 8, 2013, 5:36am
Subject: Re: Crossland CC1 owners--please help

Sounds more like you don't have your grinder dialed in. But on the CC1 you hold the menu button like a second or two, then use it to adjust  to what you need (temp etc) and press it and adjust. Beans I'm using right now I have 202 deg, 2 second pre-infusion, 2 second wait. I don't use the shot timer as I do it manually and stop the shot. You have 3 settings (cup1/2/pod), so you can make a different setting for each one if you change beans a lot or want to experiment with different profiles on the go.

Are you using fresh roasted beans, and not stuff bought at a store? Sounds more like either bean issue or grinder issue (not dialed). If you tamped and choked out the machine, use the same tamp pressure and keep backing off the grinder coarser till your in the range of a 25-30 second shot. Remember to let the machine (like all machines) warm up with portafilter locked in for at least 30 min and pull a blank shot or water for a few seconds, boiler will be ready in minutes but all the other metal mass won't be.
emil3m

Expertise: Just starting

Grinder: Vario
Posted Mon Apr 8, 2013, 6:57am

Hi CMIN,

I meant to ask regarding the parameters themselves rather than how to program them. I also played around with grind levels. The Vario has 4 macro levels in the espresso range and each of those has 28 fine levels. So, considering the four variables on the CC1, I am looking at 4x4x28 variations which is a rather large number. That's before we consider tamping.

I am using the beans that SCG sent me together with the machine. They smelled pretty fresh to me. I am almost out of them and that's why I came here to see maybe there is a methodology I can apply.

Can you recommend a roaster that sells on amazon or in NYC?

Currently in love with Hayes Valley by Blue Bottle--locally roasted next to my house in Brooklyn
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Mon Apr 8, 2013, 8:38am

Adjust the vario if you have not done it yet.  Info on the baraza website.

I have wanted to try grumpy coffee... or some name like that in NYC area also Fair mountain Coffee is in NJ I believe.  Both on my east coast try out list.  There should be tons around you. NYC area is probably the only place with as many roasters per SQ foot as the PNW.  Also do a search for favorite roasters there is a list on Home-barista.com .  Dialing in a grinder as a new person takes a lot of beans.  Do yourself a favor and get at least 2-3 lbs of the same roast batch so you will have beans left over when you figure out what you are doing.  5lbs of the same roast really helped me over the 12oz of different beans.  About the time you get it dialed in you are out of beans with 12 oz.

You want to choke your machine then back off a bit from that till you get the time right.  The having no drips come out is coking. Also you don't want to over fill the basket that can also choke the machine as the grounds swell with water. Do the dime test to see if you are hitting the screen.  I have adjusted my vario down till Redbird (great 5lb buy) comes out in the 2 M-A range in the small 2 -3 day bags I freeze. (I get 5lbs at a time)  As it ages I bump it up about 2 clicks or so a day.  Then I get a new bag from the freezer and start at about M again.  (I break it down to small one cup bags)

Read his "how to make espresso" article in the "how to" on  http://www.espressomyespresso.com/  He has the info on how to do the dime test.

I have also heard good things about paradise roaster and the price is good so my next 5lbs will be from them.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
CMIN

Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Mon Apr 8, 2013, 9:29am

Yeh SCG coffee is nothing special, most likely even into stale stage as you get it. B/c they order from the roasters and keep in stock until someone either orders from their site or they send their included coffee gift. So it's not really roasted to order, huge difference there. Other coffee uses like drip aren't as picky, but espresso really needs fresh roasted beans to pull good shots. And the staler beans are the harder they are to extract right. Do you know how much your dosing? The Vario and Preciso are both very good for single dosing, but you'll need a digi scale that measures to .1 grams. I found the limit for the double basket in the CC1 to be just under 18 grams or so depending on bean type, but pry want to stay under that as when the puck expands it'll really be pressed against the screen.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Crossland CC1...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.339751005173)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+