Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Best Machine for semi-professional daily operation under $600?
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Best Machine for...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
Author Messages
adamstivala
adamstivala
Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Sun Apr 7, 2013, 9:55am
Subject: Re: Best Machine for semi-professional daily operation under $600?

Here are some more details I have left out:

I live in St. Martin (east of Puerto Rico) and go to a school of about 600 students. Although it is a hot tourist destination in the Carribean, there aren't too many mainland influences.

There is no Starbucks, and there are maybe 3-4 Burger Kings/KFC/McDonalds on the island.

It is a medical school, so caffeine is worth it's weight in gold here, and I believe people just get tired of drinking red bulls constantly. the average student age is probably 23 - so there is little to no experience with anything except Starbucks as far as coffee goes.

I am charging very low costs for things, practically AT cost - $1 for a shot of Starbucks ground espresso, $2 for a latte with Organic milk, $1 for a Cuban Coffee (which gives 4 tiny shots).

Yes I could increase the prices a bit but I wanted to test the waters. There is a coffee/sandwich shop close to campus which serves Illy, but they are super slow and open regular business hours.

I really like that Oscar HX machine however.

If one you would want to retire and open a small shop here on campus you would seriously make a ton of cash - and you can throw a stone from the school to the beach! :)
 View Profile Link to this post
CharityV
CharityV

Espresso: Le'lit PL041
Grinder: Rocky DL
Roaster: SC/TO
Posted Sun Apr 7, 2013, 11:38am

You make a tempting offer, but sadly the husband and I are nowhere near retirement age.

In that situation, if you could squeeze together the cash for a starter set up (Oscar + a good grinder. Some retailers even offer package deals), you could easily make your money back many times over. Heck, if they are that deprived of good coffee, and you show up offering the real thing (freshly roasted, freshly ground, etc), you may well end up wanting/needing to invest in a true commercial machine down the road, to keep up with the demand. I know the number of people *I* could sell coffee to just because they have tasted what I make at home versus most coffee shops is pretty significant, and that is here in the pacific northwest, where you can hit a coffee stand/shop if you throw a stone.

Speaking as someone who recently upgraded to an HX machine...it is amazing. I could do exactly what you are wanting to do with it, if I had the same opportunity. You can brew espresso and steam milk at the same time, it steams milk quickly and well, shots are rich and full of crema. BUT that is with freshly roasted beans, and a good grinder.

Now here is the tough part - no, your grinder does not grind consistently enough. The burrs inside it are plastic, not ceramic or metal, and that's just for starters. Inconsistent grind leads to bitter, unpalatable coffee. Dump enough sugar into it via flavors or chocolate, and you can maybe make it drinkable for the un-knowledgeable masses, but you really want great tasting espresso if you want people (customers) to flock to you.

A good grinder isgoing to cost $300, minimum, unless you find a good used deal.

Also, on the coffee you are using - I would recommend buying directly from a roaster and having it shipped. There is one here locally that sells in 5 pound minimums, and a friend and I buy 5 pounds each month and split it, because it really good coffee, and for a cheaper price than it could be had in the grocery store. It could save you money AND allow you to offer a really quality product.
adamstivala
adamstivala

Posted Sun Apr 7, 2013, 11:49am

CharityV Said:

In that situation, if you could squeeze together the cash for a starter set up (Oscar + a good grinder. Some retailers even offer package deals), you could easily make your money back many times over. Heck, if they are that deprived of good coffee, and you show up offering the real thing (freshly roasted, freshly ground, etc), you may well end up wanting/needing to invest in a true commercial machine down the road, to keep up with the demand. I know the number of people *I* could sell coffee to just because they have tasted what I make at home versus most coffee shops is pretty significant, and that is here in the pacific northwest, where you can hit a coffee stand/shop if you throw a stone.

Posted April 7, 2013 link

yes, this is EXACTLY what i'm talking about! the problem is I am only here until December 2013 and then I go on clinical rotations, so my window is tiny. There is a new building going up at the school also, and I believe they will have some kind of tiny cafe but it is questionable in there but it won't be til 2014; and on top of that, it will probably be some crap automatic machine dispensing.  

The people I have made the espressos and lattes for were amazed at the quality, but it's because they've had nothing to compare it to - they're all kids!!!!

Thanks for the input!
adamstivala
adamstivala

Posted Sun Apr 7, 2013, 12:13pm

Thank you everyone for all the input so far, it has been invaluable.

I think I'm leaning towards the Oscar and maybe the pods. Pods would save me money on a better grinder right now and also hasten clean up. Any preference on pods with that machine?

Thank you!

the name of my school is American University of the Caribbean in case anyone is interested. It is one of the top Caribbean medical schools, and we are currently undergoing a $50M expansion.

http://www.aucmed.edu/
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4, Pharos,...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Sun Apr 7, 2013, 4:54pm

Having been through med school myself, my advice to you is get something that'll make you happy, let your friends worry about their own coffee and spend the "extra time" studying. Your USMLE score matters more than you might think when match day comes around.

What specialty are you leaning towards?

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
takeshi
takeshi
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Alex Duetto 3.0
Grinder: Super Jolly
Roaster: Amaya Roasting
Posted Mon Apr 8, 2013, 8:49am

(nm)
showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Best Machine for...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.380370140076)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+