Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Grimac Mini/La Uno low brew pressure, first plumbed in machine
LavAzza Espresso Machines
Awesome capsule espresso machines. Perfect for home, office and restaurant applications.
www.espressozone.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Grimac Mini/La...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
benpiff
benpiff
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: RocketR58,GrimacMini,Elli
Grinder: LSM FK Conical, Vario
Roaster: Sonofresco 1lb, Behmor
Posted Sun Apr 7, 2013, 11:12pm
Subject: Grimac Mini/La Uno low brew pressure, first plumbed in machine

Hi guys,

I didn't get to test this machine before I bought it, but when I first got it T'd into my sink's cold water line and turned it on, I was able to get water out of the group and everything heats normally. But before pulling a shot, I used my portafilter gauge with needle valve to check brew pressure. The pressure seems to build very slowly, not get above maybe 2-3 bar, and make the machine get very noisy.

The first thing I experimented with was adjusting the OPV tighter, which made the pump louder, the pressure go up a bit (but never past maybe 3 bar), and noticeably less water come through the 3 way valve.

What else should I check? There is a rubber line that runs to the drip tray from another junction box and never see water flow into it (this person has a good photo of it Click Here (s756.photobucket.com)), do you know if this is an expansion valve for the heat exchanger, or is this an OPV (the OPV after the pump just loops back into the line before the pump)? Is my water line pressure the next culprit? I know calibrating the two pressures could be a unique setup for me, so if anyone can email me directly to explain the process for this machine, you'd be a hero!

Edit: I've read a couple different threads that showed people opening up the expansion/OPV valve, and also discussing scale buildup. I definitely have been more distracted by the plumbing aspect than possible scale, so I took out the of the E61 to check the mushroom and gicleur, both looked really good. I removed the expansion valve and there was some murky water in there, but running the pump for a second cleaned that up. I can't get any water to flow through the expansion valve whether it's loose or tight, and adjusting the OPV by the pump still doesn't result in the pressure getting beyond 4 bar in 30 seconds. How long should it take to fill a 2oz shot glass around 9 bar of brew pressure?

Edit 2: I've now done a Cafiza backflush, fully descaled the machine, opened and checked the OPV. It still takes about 25 seconds to fill my 2oz shotglass. Is it most likely the pump or the path to the group?

www.oldparkedcars.com
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
benpiff
benpiff

Espresso: RocketR58,GrimacMini,Elli
Grinder: LSM FK Conical, Vario
Roaster: Sonofresco 1lb, Behmor
Posted Sun Mar 2, 2014, 1:27pm
Subject: Re: Grimac La Uno low brew pressure, first plumbed in machine

Bump, I replaced the Fluid-o-tech pump and removed/checked a few fittings between the pump and the machine, but I don't know why my flow rate is still too slow? I took the e61 apart, descaled and cleaned everything. Does anyone have  any tips for other things I could check? Or do I just need to keep proceeding through pipes and fittings looking for a blockage? Also, what's a minimum diameter for the plumbing lines? I think it came with 1/4 inch.

www.oldparkedcars.com
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
JY
JY

Espresso: Grimac Mini, Pavoni P/Tre,
Grinder: Preciso, Cunill Brasil,...
Vac Pot: Yama, Cory, Rasotherm
Drip: V-60, Clever, Brazen
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Sun Mar 2, 2014, 3:11pm
Subject: Re: Grimac Mini/La Uno low brew pressure, first plumbed in machine

My Uno's not plumbed, so I don't have the same setup, but have you checked the pressure before the pump?

After the pump, the water goes to the square brass distribution block where it can either go to the hot water pipe through the solenoid on the side, or to flow meter, and on to the HX. The pressure valve on the end of the block has the silicone pipe that in my machine goes back to the water reservoir.  

After that it's to the boiler, into the injector pipe, and to the group.

You seem to have descaled and checked the entire path. Have you checked the water level in the boiler? If water is passing through to the group, the only other place you might be losing pressure would be through the HX into the boiler.

Hopefully that's not the case.

I would go through the distribution block again. If you check out the blow up on the parts list, there are a few parts in there that could be sticking.

http://www.partsguru.com/user/MINIGRIMAC_LAUNO%5B1%5D.pdf

I also ended up changing the valve with one from Chris'Coffee, which made it much more accurate and easier to adjust:

Click Here (www.chriscoffee.com)

Hope this helps!

JY: IMAG0018.jpg
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Grimac Mini/La...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Saeco Espresso Machines
Large selection in-stock, includes Free Gifts and Free Shipping!
www.espressozone.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.285080909729)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+