Espresso: Espresso Machines
OPV adjustment on KitchenAid ProLine
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > OPV adjustment...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
gjwell

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Thu Sep 19, 2013, 11:26pm
Subject: Re: OPV adjustment on KitchenAid ProLine

In Diveval pic you can see where you insert the allen key, However on the newer machines they have modified the exit hole, there is now a small black plastic pice obscuring access to the OPV. Is is to channel over pressure water back into the water tank. On the older machines the water tickles down and runs along the top and into the base rather than the water tank, causing the whole bottom half of the machine to corrode and the enamel paint to flake off. Sadly this has happened to men and the bottom section is no ruined. I don't know how to remove the plastic pice as I don't have this version of the machine, it looks like it pops out from the bottom. if not you would need to open the machine and remove the OVP. BTW this does make a massive difference to the quality of your shots, providing you have a good grind and are tamping correctly.

To adjust the OPV you need to get a pressure gauge and and adaptor off of ebay (for around 10-15) you can then check the pressure as you adjust it. you un unscrew the double spout from your porta filter (I had to use a vice as its quite tight) and attached the pressure gague. see pic

gjwell: Screen Shot 2013-09-20 at 08.23.20.jpg
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Link to this post
Diveval

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Cimbali D1, Cimbali S1,...
Grinder: cimbali Junior, gaggia MDF,...
Roaster: Old German GMS
Posted Sat Sep 21, 2013, 5:44pm

D4F Said:

So is that adjusting 33 through part 34 as above, for the next person?

Posted September 14, 2013 link

It seems that my KA does not have piece number 34 (seems like a discharge connector).  In my machine, you take out the water tank and when you look up there is piece 33, you just put the allen key there and change the pressure. Snce I did not have piece 34 on my version I had to improvise sine there was as small leak that was driving me crazy.  I bought a small suction cup, drilled a hole in the middle and installed it where that hole is... Since I wont be adjusting the OPV again. It works and no more leak!

Diveval: image.jpg
(Click for larger image)
Diveval

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Cimbali D1, Cimbali S1,...
Grinder: cimbali Junior, gaggia MDF,...
Roaster: Old German GMS
Posted Sat Sep 21, 2013, 5:52pm

gjwell Said:

In Diveval pic you can see where you insert the allen key, However on the newer machines they have modified the exit hole, there is now a small black plastic pice obscuring access to the OPV. Is is to channel over pressure water back into the water tank. On the older machines the water tickles down and runs along the top and into the base rather than the water tank, causing the whole bottom half of the machine to corrode and the enamel paint to flake off. Sadly this has happened to men and the bottom section is no ruined. I don't know how to remove the plastic pice as I don't have this version of the machine, it looks like it pops out from the bottom. if not you would need to open the machine and remove the OVP. BTW this does make a massive difference to the quality of your shots, providing you have a good grind and are tamping correctly.

To adjust the OPV you need to get a pressure gauge and and adaptor off of ebay (for around 10-15) you can then check the pressure as you adjust it. you un unscrew the double spout from your porta filter (I had to use a vice as its quite tight) and attached the pressure gague. see pic

Posted September 19, 2013 link

If you have the newer version, yes you have to open the machine and disassamble the upper part from the lower part, then you can access the OPV, taking off part 34. Be carful with the hot water button, i think I broke mine during the process when I dissasambled everything to clean the boiler! Let me know if you need pictures on how to dissasamble it.
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Sat Sep 21, 2013, 5:53pm

Thanks for the reply to clarify.  Nice DIY fix.

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > OPV adjustment...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.344824075699)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+