Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Help! Steam Wand Shooting out Flakes
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Help! Steam Wand...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
mauijer
mauijer
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: QM Silvano
Grinder: Baratza Vario W
Drip: Chemex
Posted Mon Apr 1, 2013, 4:43pm
Subject: Help! Steam Wand Shooting out Flakes

Have had a Starbucks Barista Athena which has worked perfectly over the past 6months then after a session of milk frothing (about 5 pitchers) I noticed a fowl smell from the machine. I had been practicing making microfoam as directed by a youtube video with soap water and thought maybe the smell was heated soap coming from the steam wand. I wiped down the wand extensively and turned the machine off to cool. When I turned it on again I noticed brown specs of sediment coming out when hot water or steam was expressed from the steam wand. I thought it was coffee grounds and flushed a tank through only to find large brown flakes shooting out of the steam wand. Much too big to be espresso grounds. I thought perhaps discolored calcium deposits even tho the machine was descaled prior to being shipped to me. My other thought it maybe I burned a part during consecutive steaming sessions or these are teflon or rust flakes? I saw a previous post by someone with a rancilio silvia doing the same thing back in 2008 or so and no one was able to answer his question back then so I am bringing up this topic again. Does anyone know what causes this or what I need to replace? Thank so much. Pic attached.

mauijer: fromwater002.jpg
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Tue Apr 2, 2013, 3:58am
Subject: Re: Help! Steam Wand Shooting out Flakes

Off the top of my head, you may have sucked some milk into the wand ,it is burnt and now coming out?

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
ianpirro
ianpirro
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Nuova Simonelli Oscar
Grinder: Macap M4
Posted Tue Apr 2, 2013, 7:35am

In between the pitchers of "milk" did you pull more water into the boiler? Since there is only one boiler ( I assume, not familiar with the machine ) steam is using up the water in the boiler and exposing the element to air. You'd have to run water through the group-head or wand to pull more water into the boiler I believe.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
CarloM

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Vetrano V2B
Grinder: Mazzer Mini-E Type A, SJ...
Drip: Toddy
Posted Wed Apr 3, 2013, 8:10am

Just to rule out milk crud accumulating in the steam wand, what is your workflow when you steam milk?

I have a Silvia, and after I steam milk, not only do I wipe down the entire wand with a wet rag, but I flush out about 3 seconds of steam. All of this is done immediately after I am done steaming the milk. Then after I pour the milk into my latte, I go back and turn on the hot water pump which ejects another 5 seconds of steam through the wand before hot water comes out, and I let the hot water run for a couple of seconds. This is my piece of mind to make sure milk never gets up into the wand and stays there.

If you do something similar then I'd say you could rule out old milk crud. If you don't flush out your wand thoroughly, that fact, coupled with the foul smell you mentioned, may be pointing to milk remnants.

Not sure why it would be soap coming up through the wand - you are putting the soap in the pitcher and not in the water reservoir right? (if I saw the same youtube video you did, the instruction was to put soap in the pitcher)

It could be scale, though that would be really bad scale. You say it was descaled before being shipped to you. Any idea how long the previous owner had the machine, and how often he did descaling? If he didn't do it for years and then did one right before shipping then he probably loosened a bunch of it which may not have fully dislodged until just now. Depending on the hardness of the water being used, descaling should be done preventatively (every 2-3 months if you have hard water, every 6 months to a year if you have softened water). If he hadn't done it in a long time, then scale was probably caked on the boiler and following normal descaling instruction basically began to eat away and dislodge it, but depending on the severity of the problem, it probably didn't flush it all out.
mauijer
mauijer

Posted Thu Apr 11, 2013, 3:21pm

ianpirro I think you may be pointing out an important mistake I may have made. I steamed quite a few times in a row and I think I left on the steam button the whole time and did not turn it off and pull more water through in between since I wasn't making actual lattes.

CarloM, Yes, I follow the same process as you. I very meticulously only use Dasani or Smartwater and I always immediately clean off the steam wand after I use it and then run hot water through it afterwards. I really don't think it's dry milk by the consistency, color, or size.

Is is possible that these flakes could be coming from inside the boiler or another part? Would exposing the heating element to air cause this since I did make the mistake ianpirro pointed out? Should my next step be disassembly since flushing several tanks and descaling has not completely resolved this problem? I imagine the cost of shipping and repair would offset the current value of this machine. Maybe I'm best just to take this opportunity to move up? ... but alas I can't help but wonder if a simple fix would be possible.

Thanks for all the input
mauijer
mauijer

Posted Thu Apr 11, 2013, 3:30pm

also just to clarify, No i was not placing soapwater into the machine. I was placing one drop of soap into my pitcher full of water and then steaming that to create fake microfoam for practice as I saw in a youtube video. I thought the smell was from the soap water of the pitcher getting on the exterior of the steam wand and then becoming overheated and producing the smell; there was not any soap coming out of the actual steam wand. Hope that clears up a little.
dspear99ca

Espresso: Gaggia Coffee
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Posted Thu Apr 11, 2013, 4:33pm

That's a honkin' big flake.  You must have large holes in your steam wand!  I'd be inclined to rip apart the machine and do a thorough cleaning.  Does your machine have a 3-way solenoid?  If it does it'll vent brew head pressure to the drip tray every time you turn OFF the pump... you'll hear a FUMPHHH sound, it's hard to miss.  With a 3-way solenoid your options for flushing are more limited, you can use the hot water dispense setting (note: machines with hot water dispense buttons almost always have a 3-way solenoid) to push water out through the steam wand.  Maybe remove the tip to give the largest orifice possible and flush flush flush until you don't see any more gunk coming out.

If you do not have a 3-way solenoid you likely have a spring-loaded pressure valve between the boiler and brew group.  If this is the case you can remove the shower screen and turn on the pump (hot or cold, doesn't matter) and whatever is in the boiler will get pushed out through the brew head.

Good luck.
Frost
Frost

Espresso: Isomac Venus
Grinder: Lelit PL53
Roaster: Poppery I w/variac, MET, BT
Posted Thu Apr 11, 2013, 8:55pm

It's important that as soon as you turn off the steam immediately remove the wand from the milk pitcher. As the steam in the tube cools very quickly, then condenses,  it will draw a vacuum and suck milk up into the tube where it will leave a most disgusting and smelly mess.
mauijer
mauijer

Posted Sat Apr 13, 2013, 2:28pm

It does not have a 3 way solenoid. The steam wand has a single hole and is similar to the silvia's without a tip to remove. It is set up quite similar to the estro vapore, or saeco via venezia or saeco aroma models.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Help! Steam Wand...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.393504142761)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+