Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Current owners of rusting Silvia espresso Machines Unite
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Current owners...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 4 last page next page
Author Messages
shanapunim

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Mon Mar 11, 2013, 8:51am
Subject: Current owners of rusting Silvia espresso Machines Unite

I own a rusting Rancilio Silvia and have found a significant number of other members who have made the same purchasing mistake.  All Silvia had to do was use stainless steel in their base, rather than plain, easy to rust steel, and this problem would have never appeared.

I suggest a forum where we gather as many unhappy customers so that we can make our sentiments known in a powerful way to the manufacturer perhaps motivating them to arrange for a factory warranty repair or replacement program.  

This machine will eventually corrode into a rusting hunk of useless metal at a cost of $760 (for me).

Please respond with your email so that we can effectively organize to make our point powerfully.

Thanks,
Steve

shanapunim: Silvia
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Link to this post
Burner0000

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia, VFA Expres...
Grinder: Macap MX/VFA N1464/Kyocera...
Drip: Manual Drip, French Press
Roaster: Behmor 1600 / Sonofresco
Posted Mon Mar 11, 2013, 11:23am
Subject: Re: Current owners of rusting Silvia espresso Machines Unite

This type of rust is typical in older espresso machines as well.  It's an easy fix thankfully.  A bit of sand paper to remove rust and semi gloss black Tremclad rust paint has an Identical finish.  Just go over the entire under chassis where the drip tray sits and you won't have anymore rusting. Stainless steel body would have drove the cost of the machine way up.  I assume that is why Ranchilio never took that route.
 View Profile Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Mon Mar 11, 2013, 11:31am

Mine had a tiny bit of rust on Oscar when I opened him up the first time, I used a wire brush and some rust paint in black and it looks like new a year later when I opened him up again.  You have to look for rust and stay on top of it with any machine.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
takeshi
takeshi

Espresso: Alex Duetto 3.0
Grinder: Super Jolly
Roaster: Amaya Roasting
Posted Mon Mar 11, 2013, 4:36pm

shanapunim Said:

This machine will eventually corrode into a rusting hunk of useless metal at a cost of $760 (for me).

Posted March 11, 2013 link

Mine is 12 years old and is nowhere near a "useless hunk of metal".  You can certainly try to pressure Rancilio but treating the rust yourself will probably be much more effective.
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Mon Mar 11, 2013, 6:05pm

SOLUTION:

1 - Take machine apart
2 - Take frame to powder coating establishment
3 - choose color of your personal preference (Ferrari red comes to mind)
3b- you could have it chrome or gold plated...  !

I documented the problem I had with my Vibiemme Domobar Super Black which had rust so bad that the two spot-welded supports for the drip tray fell off. Search on Home barista.com for the details.

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
earlds
earlds
Posted Mon Mar 11, 2013, 6:59pm

Ive had mine in service every day since 2005 with no problems with rust except for a little surface rust on the drip tray section .Ive been getting a bit lazy with maintenance  the last few years..
PJK
PJK
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rancillo Silvia, Tonic...
Grinder: Modified Rocky, Elma side...
Vac Pot: Old Silex
Drip: Melitta BCM 4  +Some old...
Roaster: Hottop, Modified Z&D,...
Posted Mon Mar 11, 2013, 7:53pm

Hi Steve,

If you can drum up enough interest, I'm in.  One of the selling points of this machine is stainless steel. It was only after I had it a while that I realized that the stainless was just the skin.  

Mine has been rusting for at least 7 years and still has its structural integrity.

For years I have been planning to do as Randy suggested.  I am due for a group head gasket, and steam valve rebuild.  I also have most of the pieces for a PID conversion.  Soon I plan to connect up the PID stuff and test it on the machine. After I am satisfied with it I plan to tear down the machine, braze all the seams on the frame, drill all the holes for the mounting of the PID parts and possible steam wand conversion, chamfer the edges of the frame, sand-blast it, then send it to a powder coater.

Is the new steam wand worth the bother of should I rebuild the valve in the one I have?

Phil

shanapunim Said:

I own a rusting Rancilio Silvia and have found a significant number of other members who have made the same purchasing mistake.  All Silvia had to do was use stainless steel in their base, rather than plain, easy to rust steel, and this problem would have never appeared.

I suggest a forum where we gather as many unhappy customers so that we can make our sentiments known in a powerful way to the manufacturer perhaps motivating them to arrange for a factory warranty repair or replacement program.  

Please respond with your email so that we can effectively organize to make our point powerfully.

Thanks,
Steve

Posted March 11, 2013 link

Philip J. Keleshian
shanapunim

Posted Wed Mar 20, 2013, 4:34am

Dear PJK -

Sounds to me like you have quite a task ahead of you regarding refurbishing your machine.  I have had mine about 4 years so my rust is a bit behind yours.

I'll file your email and if I get enough feedback from interested people. we can see what we can do on the web.

Meanwhile, I suggest if you have to time, post as many negative blog/forum postings on as many coffee sights as possible to send a bit of pain to Ranchilio.  They deserve it, as does any mftr. who builds anything for the home with non-stainless steel - especially something that lives in water and steam.

Best regards,
Steve
shanapunim

Posted Wed Mar 20, 2013, 5:06am

Actually, they claim to have made the retrofit to stainless a design improvement on their latest machine.

I had a Starbucks Barista in my early espresso days which is now over 10 years old, totally stainless and will never rust.
CarloM

Espresso: Vetrano V2B
Grinder: Mazzer Mini-E Type A, SJ...
Drip: Toddy
Posted Mon Apr 1, 2013, 2:09pm

Purchased mine 10 months ago (May 2012), v.3, new, and it's already rusting at basically all the points where it contacts either the metal drip tray or the drip tray cover. I take very good care of my machine and don't let water sit for very long. It looks like the black paint they use for the base is not very durable, and the act of removing the drip tray and cover for cleaning, maintenance, and dumping of the tray (which I have to do every 2-3 days since it's has so little capacity) wears the paint easily.

CarloM: SilviaRust2.jpg
(Click for larger image)
showing page 1 of 4 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Current owners...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.51805305481)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+