Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Current owners of rusting Silvia espresso Machines Unite
Green Unroasted Coffee
Free shipping. Save 15% on variety pack, use 'variety' at checkout
www.madbeanscoffee

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Current owners...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Mon Apr 1, 2013, 2:31pm
Subject: Re: Current owners of rusting Silvia espresso Machines Unite

Could be worse. Here is what the same area of my now-sold Vibiemme Domobar Super looked like - after the drip tray riser FELL OFF! They are spot  welded onto the base BEFORE powder coating so the area underneath is untreated steel. Any moisture in there is nearly impossible to see, let alone get out.

frcn: rust1.jpg
(Click for larger image)

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Mon Apr 1, 2013, 4:17pm

Good luck in that.
Most commercial machines costing many times what yours did, have frames made of carbon steel and just painted.

If you lived where the snow gets arm pit deep are you going to complain that your car has rust holes all over it in 5 years?

Corrosion happens and it is your job to manage taking care of it. Manufacturers take reasionable efforts to control it but, rust happens

Making the frame from stainless would add a lot to the cost of the machine, likely $150 or more as the material costs more, it is harder to work, the tools to work it will cost more to make and will wear out sooner

A Sylvia new is already over priced in todays market, to add more to the cost needlesly would put them at even more of a market disadvantage.

I also own a sylvia as my vacation or work machine and I needed to sand, prime and paint the frame too, it really isn't a big deal.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
CarloM

Espresso: Vetrano V2B
Grinder: Mazzer Mini-E Type A, SJ...
Drip: Toddy
Posted Mon Apr 1, 2013, 4:37pm

Here's the issue: espresso machines are meant to be subjected to heat, water, and pressure. Period. Anyone building an espresso machine needs to factor that in.

I get that pure stainless steel adds to the cost. If you're unwilling to increase costs, then decrease it and go plastic (like the sides/bottom of the La Spaziale Vivaldi and Dream). Then you can lower the cost of the Silvia so it's not so overpriced, as you say.

Basically there were two right ways to go: Stainless Steel and increase price, or plastic and decrease price. Both would have been immune (or highly resistant) to rust. The wrong answer was to go with steel and a cheap paint job. And that's what Rancilio did.

For those of us who live in apartment complexes and don't own sanders and paint (and can't due to constraints on what can be done in the complex) we don't have the disassemble, sand, prime and paint option. Nor should we be made to do that when we've spent $700 on a machine. If this was a $200 entry-level Gaggia I could see that.
 View Profile Link to this post
dsblv

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Rocket Giotto Evoluzione
Grinder: MACAP MC4
Posted Mon Apr 1, 2013, 4:52pm

Rust proofing is easy to do and can be done without tools.  I previously owned a Silvia and saw some rust developing under the drip tray and around the vibe pump.  I sanded the rusty areas by hand.  I applied Rustoleum with a small brush.  I also caulked the seams to prevent water damage.  My Silvia was 4 years old when I sold it and the machine had no rust damage.
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Mon Apr 1, 2013, 6:05pm

Carlo, the third option is to just take care of what you have.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
CarloM

Espresso: Vetrano V2B
Grinder: Mazzer Mini-E Type A, SJ...
Drip: Toddy
Posted Mon Apr 1, 2013, 6:48pm

calblacksmith Said:

Carlo, the third option is to just take care of what you have.

Posted April 1, 2013 link

I'm sorry you must have missed my post where I wrote that I clean my machine religiously and never let water sit on the machine. I clean the water tray every 2-3 days. I wipe the machine down every time I empty the tray. That paint is wearing at the point where the water tray and tray cover (which both must be removed in order to empty) contact the paint.

The tray is designed to be removed frequently (it holds so little water that my simple 2 lattes a day require me to empty it every 2-3 days). If you see my personal belongings, you'd probably think I border on OCD with the way I keep my things in great shape (CD/DVD/BluRays with no scratches, hardcover books put in archival dust jacket covers and laying on their side to avoid spine bending, constantly cleaning my musical instruments). I bought my Silvia new 10 months ago. What you see is a result of 10 months of 2-3 lattes a day in use. That is unacceptable.
kim77

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia
Posted Wed Apr 24, 2013, 8:37pm

This has happened to my machine as well and I have been meticulous with it! I just posted a new topic about it before I found this! I will now go through and read everyone's comments to see if a solution was found. I think it might be worth it to contact the manufacturer. Please include me if any of you plan to do this! Thanks

Here's my issue:
The black metal sides of the base, where the drip tray slides init is rusting horribly. And because of the rust, it has warped and is now very difficult to slide the drip tray in and out. Im distraught because everything about this machine is perfect and in great shape. I take care of it and it has never been left soaking or in water. I clean it after each use and I'm the only person who uses it.
Thanks!!
Kim

kim77: IMG_2045.jpg
(Click for larger image)
shanapunim

Posted Thu Apr 25, 2013, 4:13am

Dear calblacksmith:

When I read your posting I am hard pressed to convince myself that you don't work for an espresso machine manufacturer such as Silvia portraying yourself as a consumer.  

For the purpose of my response, I will give you the benefit of some serious doubt on my part that you don't work for Silvia and give you my response to your absurd posting.

Mankind has had stainless steel for many years.  The reason that it is called stainless steel is that is doesn't corrode (ergo stain), or rust.  Any decent manufacturing design engineer knows this and the big payoff for knowing this is to use it on products that are exposed to moisture, such as an espresso machine.  When a manufacturer locks down its design for an espresso machine without using stainless steel they enter the world of the shoddy and irresponsible.

I have serious doubts as to your qualifications for participating in this forum with your 'just take care of what you have' posting.   It should raise serious doubt for the set of consumers who are raising this issue of being aggrieved.  

Please find a blog site for the uniformed who would appreciate your comments.
shanapunim

Posted Thu Apr 25, 2013, 4:17am

I too would sell this machine if I could find a sucker to take it off of my hands.

I'm surprised that you sold it after you fixed it up.  Is the problem perhaps that you really can't fix rust?

We certainly would have respected your posting had you stated that you fixed it, and still have it after 10 years of use?
shanapunim

Posted Thu Apr 25, 2013, 4:21am

Hi Kim, am interested in participating with others who want to take this rust issue to Silvia so that they may reap the benefits of producing a shoddy product.  My response to their philosophy of 'caveat emptor' - buyer beware.

If you would like to take this dicussion offline, you can reach me at SteveEdelman2.0@gmail.com.

I would be happy to share with you the steps that I have taken to attempt to stop the rusting away of my Silvia machine.
showing page 2 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Current owners...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.410211086273)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+