Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Please read before you post New Machine buying question.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Please read...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 11 of 14 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
AmirPhoto
AmirPhoto
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Nespresso U-Milk
Drip: Princess
Posted Wed Feb 26, 2014, 1:37pm
Subject: Re: Please read before you post New Machine buying question.

Hi there, I have read some pages here and not found my answer here.

I managed to buy some U-Milk Nespresso machine. it gives me nice espressos, but the frother is unable to give a real microfoam for latte (as you already know it gives a decent foam for Cappucinos instead).
I decided to buy some espresso machine, my first goal is to froth milk frequently and pull some shots espressos each time I had time to do this.
My facts:
- we drink two or three shots  a day of Nespresso Espresso
- I Love my Moka pot coffee very much and manage to have a coffee twice or three times a week
- I drink much less frequently drip coffee
- My next step after Espresso machine would be a Gaggia MDF for my espressos and moka pot.
- Alas, I can only manage to buy $200-$300 machines which are - as my knowledge let me - thermoblock driven with pressurized portafilters.
- since my first goal is frothing milk and less frequently pull a shot of espresso, its too confusing to choose between low end machines when your goal is steaming at the first place.
- I don't like stove-top steamers
- I won't buy steam espresso makers just because they are good at steaming.

I apologize if I rushed into this topic.

I'm not a Native English writer, so please forgive me if I did wrong on describing something.
 View Profile Link to this post
z0mbie
z0mbie
Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Mon Mar 3, 2014, 4:54am

Hi Amir,

Microfoam is possible with a frothing wand..  I suggest you give yourself a chance to learn the proper technique before taking a big leap to a machine just for milk frothing, given  you seem to be quite happy with the Nespresso espresso.   I drink Nespresso from time to time, and in fact I started my espresso journey on it, making mostly lattes.    I, too,, was not impressed by Nespresso's frothing performance.. They make fluffy foam for cappas but not microfoam needed for creamy, delicious lattes.  I opted to buy a bellman stovetop steamer but abandoned it because it was simply too much work.

Subsequently, I discovered the wonders of milk frothing with cheap frothing wand.   With the correct technique, it is capable of producing wonderful microfoam.  The nice thing about it compared to a machine is 5hat it costs less than $5,  it's portable so you can use it at work, and it is ready to use instantly.  

Anyway, here's a video I made to demonstrate making microfoam milk with a frothing wand to make a Nespresso latte.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5Vnvnza4t8

The beauty of frothing wands is that you can control, quite easily, how much rich or light your foam will be without continuing to heat your milk like you would on a traditional steam wand.   You have all the time you need.  

Technique:
1) Heat your milk in the microwave in a Pyrex pitcher.  Suggestion-- heat 2/3 cup of milk at full power for 1:15s in a 1000W microwave.  your milk will be very hot but you want it hot because the milk will cool as you froth your milk.  Frothing will take you anywhere between 15-25 seconds so by the time you're done, the milk will have cooled to optimal drinking temperature of 140degreesF.

2)  If you want to do latte art, pour your milk into a frothing pitcher.  Otherwise, you can froth the milk right out of the Pyrex pitcher.

3) Insert frothing wand at angle with the head right in the center of the pitcher, near the bottom.  Turn on the wand.   As soon as the whirlpool appears, air will start pulling into the milk causing bubbles.   Keep the wand in the center for about 2 seconds after the whirlpool appears.

4) Keeping the wand at an angle, move the wand away from the center enough that the whirlpool goes away to stop air from being pulled into the milk.  As the milk continues to circulate in the pitcher, the spinning head breaks the bubbles smaller and smaller.  If there are bubbles on the surface, raise the wand just enough to where the bubbles start getting pulled into the milk.. once they are all in, you can lower the wand again.  Stop once the milk achieves that rich, paint-like consistency.

If you want it more creamy, you can add a bit more air, and froth longer.. If you want it to be the thin, paint-like consistency for doing latte art, don't add so much air.      Keep in mind how long you need to froth depends also on your battery.. There is no standard time. You have to watch the consistency and stop where you want.  New batteries will get you there sooner.  Old batteries may not get you there at all.

Here is a video that demonstrates this technique precisely:

http://youtu.be/-Fslq1PEMf8

Give it a shot and let me know how it goes.  Good luck!
schindler

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sat Mar 15, 2014, 2:15pm

very helpful!
dannyvice1967

Posted Mon Mar 24, 2014, 6:54pm

After these questions answered, it will be much easier for us to decide which espresso machine to buy. The only problem I felt tough is some burr grinder is not suitable for the espresso machines
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Fri Mar 28, 2014, 11:43am

What happened to this being a sticky?

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Posted Sun Mar 30, 2014, 10:21am

Bump.

Coffeenoobie

Buckley

Posted Wed Apr 2, 2014, 5:53am

Bump +2
Again, why was this removed as a sticky?  It is too useful.

Incidentally, this sticky became unstuck about the time Mark Prince made an unusually frequent number of posts in the forum.  Mark, if you are reading this, no one seems to know why this post became unstuck.  Was that a decision that you made?  If so, is there any way of establishing a referendum on resticking it?
B
TheRealScubaSteve
TheRealScubaSteve

Espresso: Delonghi EC155
Grinder: Baratza Encore
Posted Wed Apr 2, 2014, 12:27pm

Buckley Said:

If so, is there any way of establishing a referendum on resticking it?

Posted April 2, 2014 link

Referendums have not worked out too well, lately in the world is any indication. Another bump for a useful thread.

"But it is not a perfect world and none of us are god-shots.  As for me, I am a little over extracted and therefore slightly bitter and my crema is thin..." -Buckley
Buckley

Posted Fri Apr 4, 2014, 5:09am

Steve,
Thank you for the attribution.  My ego would like to thank you, too, but currently I have him 'grounded' for bad behavior.
B
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Posted Sat Apr 5, 2014, 11:03am

Bump!

Coffeenoobie

showing page 11 of 14 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Please read...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.355890035629)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+