Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
DeLonghi OPV leaks at steam temp.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > DeLonghi OPV...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
bcarrigg90

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Delonghi EC 702
Grinder: Capresso Infinity - Modified
Drip: French press is as close as...
Posted Fri Dec 7, 2012, 11:27am
Subject: DeLonghi OPV leaks at steam temp.

I've just started realizing that the hiss i hear whenever my ec702 reaches full steam temperature is from the over pressure valve releasing some of my steam pressure.  I can see a small stream of air bubbles shooting down the tube back into the resevoir.  There certainly isn't enough pressure for this valve to be opening.  The steam temp is only 120 C, so i really don't want any of that pressure wasted.  Should i try taking apart the valve to see if theres a badly seated seal or something?  I would like to eventually upgrade it to a metal valve, rather than the plastic one it has, but i need to figure out which fittings i need to be able to connect all the hoses to a different valve first.

Oh, and i already tried a good thorough descaling to no avail.  Its done this since i received the machine off Amazon.  It was an open box item.
 View Profile Link to this post
bcarrigg90

Posted Fri Mar 29, 2013, 1:48pm
Subject: Re: DeLonghi OPV leaks at steam temp.

Three months later, I still haven't figured out what's going on with this thing. I ordered two new OPVs since then, and both h had the same issue. Am I completely wrong in thinking that the opv should never open unless you choke the pump? I don't see any reason why this valve would be designed to intentionally open while just heating up. There is water that comes out while the pump is running also, so I feel I am losing pressure and flow that should be running to my shot. Any suggestions? I'm almost to the point of gluing a plug into the valve so it essentially takes it out of the system. Then it's just up to me to not break the pump, but I might be willing to take that risk.
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Fri Mar 29, 2013, 7:04pm

I had an EC 701 for a few years, but no real problems and I did not work on it much.  It has a similar valve.  I have looked at this diagram

Click Here (www.ereplacementparts.com)

and found the part

http://www.ereplacementparts.com/valve-p-693121.html

Here is a temperature vs pressure chart for steam.

Click Here (www.jgbhose.com)

As you can see, and know from experience, that 120C temperature does not generate a lot of pressure, a little over 1 bar.  It would seem if the valve is leaking at that low pressure you would be unable to brew.  It should also leak at the equivalent brew pressure, though flow also enters in.

You could make a PF pressure gauge and test machine brew pressure.  You can use a blind basket and occlude outflow and then measure the backflow and approximate the pressure.  If you remove the tank and put a glass full of water in its place you can run the pump with a blind basket and catch and measure the return flow.

Click Here (coffeeforums.co.uk)(over-Pressure-Valve)-Gaggia-Classic

And the pressure gauge.

Click Here (www.youtube.com)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhSp1_x5CLw

Blind OPV adjustment, though yo9u are not adjusting, you could estimate the opening pressure.

http://coffeegeek.com/forums/espresso/machinemods/436367

Click Here (www.home-barista.com)

If you want to try others, you may have found these

Click Here (www.chriscoffee.com)

Click Here (espressocare.com)

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
bcarrigg90

Posted Sat Mar 30, 2013, 3:18am

I should have some time on monday to go through some of those steps and take some measurements. The weird thing is that I can still brew. It's like the valve does not open completely, but just enough to lower my pressure and let steam leak out the back.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > DeLonghi OPV...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.393680095673)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+