Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Another DB Quickmill
LavAzza Espresso Machines
Awesome capsule espresso machines. Perfect for home, office and restaurant applications.
www.espressozone.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Another DB...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 140 of 148 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
pShoe

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Fri Nov 1, 2013, 2:24pm
Subject: Re: Another DB Quickmill

Dave,

You stated that, "mine doesn't do it and I can't seem to make it do it, unless I empty the tank and feed tube to the tube has air in, then fill the tank, then I get the noise."

Since you are able to replicate the sound by introducing air, I'm pretty sure we can say with confidence that the sound is caused by air. You also said this can happen in other machines. What fixes were made for other machines to stop the sound?

Why would US motors spin faster?
 View Profile Link to this post
DavecUK

Posted Fri Nov 1, 2013, 3:06pm

pShoe Said:

Dave,

You stated that, "mine doesn't do it and I can't seem to make it do it, unless I empty the tank and feed tube to the tube has air in, then fill the tank, then I get the noise."

Since you are able to replicate the sound by introducing air, I'm pretty sure we can say with confidence that the sound is caused by air. You also said this can happen in other machines. What fixes were made for other machines to stop the sound?

Posted November 1, 2013 link

The 60Hz vs 50Hz, but it's just a guess that if the motor manufacturers were lazy or keeping costs down a similar design might use mains freq to regulate speed, perhaps it will turn faster...i'm grabbing at straws here.

With other machines that had the sound, it was manual cleaning of the antibackflow valve as running descaler through it usually didn't help for very long....but lets see what the tests  show and whether someone with it plumbed in gets the sound (which I doubt).

Someone mentioned the Vivaldis, with the S1 or is it S2, the orientation of the pump and the back pressure in the system, would mean it wouldn't even prime from a bottle on the counter if it was hot.  So you have to be careful with any anti backflow valve design. If the closure spring is too strong (but there has to be one), then you get less sealing problems, but a danger of  difficult priming on a hot system if the pump ever is empty. The vetrano runs tanked or plumbed, so does present some challenges (as do all these machines) in maintaining a good seal to the brew system on tanked operation, the positive pressure of the mains is a great help here. I remember years ago when tanked rotary prosumer machines didn't exist, concerns over pump priming and flow were the main reasons why. It's also why I keep saying, water quality causes most espresso machine problems and use treated RO water. So far my Duetto ran fault free for over 6 years and I'm hoping my Vetrano 2B will as well.
DeanOK
DeanOK
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: QM Vetrano 2B
Grinder: Vario W
Posted Fri Nov 1, 2013, 3:18pm

pShoe Said:

Dave,

Assuming the same motor is being used ...the line frequency in England is 50Hz... so in the US the same motor would be 20% faster on our 60hz power grid if they both were designed for the same voltage. Most 50 hz designed motors can be used on 60hz without modification, but not always the same when using a 60hz motor on 50hz. Since the voltage in America is lower, I would assume that they are two totally different motors, but I don't know that because they could be using a motor that is dual voltage. With that said, rpm is determined by number of polls divided into the line frequency with a factor for magnetic slippage (the simplified answer), so most US AC induction motors would be 20% faster than 50 hz motors in other countries, regardless of voltage, as long as they have the same number of polls. Hope that makes sense.
germantownrob
germantownrob

Espresso: Duetto 3, A Dead Oscar
Grinder: Vario-W, Preciso w/Esatto,...
Drip: Brazen
Roaster: Diedrich IR-1, HT B
Posted Fri Nov 1, 2013, 4:23pm

I mentioned a while back that I will get this noise on my Duetto once in a while. When it first happened it was alarming but troubleshooting the problem has now solved it completely. Not only would I get the noise from the pump but the pump moved a lot when dealing with the air going through it and rattled against all sorts of things to make a bigger racket. Once I pulled the tube up and let air in it intentionally I was able to confirm that that was the noise plus I could see what the pump was hitting and made some padding with high heat tape. Next I had to figure out why I was getting air in the first place. First I noticed it was happening when my tank would run lower then 1/4 full but not always. Next I noticed that there was an amble amount of silicon tubing going into the tank and with the machined pulled out I could see when I replaced the top to the tank the hose would end up at times curling back up. My solution was to take the slack out of the tubing going into the tank so gravity pulled it to the bottom.

This may not be exactly what is happening to all of you but once someone finds the reason it will be simple enough to fix. Good luck.

Oh yeah, didn't I mention something about annoying monster threads in the past here, now to scroll for 2min so I can post this from my iPad, lol.
DeanOK
DeanOK
Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: Vario W
Posted Fri Nov 1, 2013, 4:29pm

germantownrob Said:

Oh yeah, didn't I mention something about annoying monster threads in the past here, now to scroll for 2min so I can post this from my iPad, lol.

Been there.... we do need to start breaking the V2B topics up into separate threads.
CarloM

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Vetrano V2B
Grinder: Mazzer Mini-E Type A, SJ...
Drip: Toddy
Posted Sat Nov 2, 2013, 2:08pm

Dave - tried the switch from tank to mains three times and it still did it. I switched back and forth with the power off (machine plugged in but power not on). Do you need to do it with the power on?

Also, regarding OPV - when I draw about 2oz (which I think is about 60ml) the pressure gauge rests back between 4-5, and then slowly creeps back up to ~9 after a few minutes. Is this correct or do I need to adjust?

Many thanks!
pShoe

Posted Sat Nov 2, 2013, 5:55pm

CarloM Said:

Dave - tried the switch from tank to mains three times and it still did it. I switched back and forth with the power off (machine plugged in but power not on). Do you need to do it with the power on?

Also, regarding OPV - when I draw about 2oz (which I think is about 60ml) the pressure gauge rests back between 4-5, and then slowly creeps back up to ~9 after a few minutes. Is this correct or do I need to adjust?

Many thanks!

Posted November 2, 2013 link

Carlo, I cross posted this to the new thread created for the noise.
emil3m

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Vario
Posted Sun Nov 3, 2013, 9:23pm

I've watched some of the videos (thanks to the poster that summarized them), but I don't know which ones operate on a tank.

Would those of you who are on a tank be able to record pulling a double shot please? I'd love to get a preview of what preinfusion and pulling look and sound like.

Thank you and thanks for this thread--love reading it!

Est purchase date: Jan 2014

Currently in love with Hayes Valley by Blue Bottle--locally roasted next to my house in Brooklyn
stuart1967

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Tue Nov 26, 2013, 2:39pm

Seems like the Brits need some bling after all!!!

Click Here (www.bellabarista.co.uk)
sharky
sharky

Grinder: Compak K3 Touch
Posted Wed Nov 27, 2013, 6:18am

stuart1967 Said:

Seems like the Brits need some bling after all!!!

Click Here (www.bellabarista.co.uk)

Posted November 26, 2013 link

Awesome!  It looks like the Brits have embraced the 'disco' look too!  LOL!
showing page 140 of 148 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Another DB...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Espresso Makers
Premium stovetop espresso makers, electric moka pots, machines & accessories.
www.espressozone.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.496112108231)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+